1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger SXT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tire and Wheel Fitment Guide For 2009-2020 Dodge Challengers
Equipped with the V6 Engine
Disclaimer** Mechanical implications such as, but not limited to: Alignment, Suspension Ware & Tear, Modified Break Components, and or any other adjustment other than what comes Equipped Originally from factory will make fundamental changes regarding fitment and clearance varying on application. Use this as a starting point or reference guide to get the best fitment

LEGEND FOR UNDERSTANDING HOW TO READ THE CHARTS:
"OE" : Original Equipment
"+" : Staggered Fitment for the rear
" RWD" : Rear Wheel Drive
" AWD " : All Wheel Drive

"OE" -When the wheel size has this Acronym next to it, it means its the suggested size for the originally equipped wheels from factory.
(So that means if you have the blacktop package for example with the 20x8 that come from factory has an original size of 245/45R20; You wont be able to put something like a 275/40R20 on that wheel due to its section width minimum being 9" and a maximum of 11" reference picture below)

( Use this link, its a tire calculator with visualizers like this one )​

2017-2020 Dodge Challenger SXT/GT (AWD)

Bolt Pattern:5x115
Hub Size:71.5
Lug Nut:14X1.5
Offset MM:35-45

Wheel SizeTire SizeMinimum Wheel WidthMaximum Wheel WidthOverall Diameter
OE-19235/55-1919x6.519x8.529.2
20245/50-2020x720x8.529.6
22255/35-2222x8.522x1029.0

2015-2020 Dodge Challenger SE/SXT/GT/Plus (RWD)

Bolt Pattern:5x115
Hub Size:71.5
Lug Nut:14X1.5
Offset MM:15-25

Wheel SizeTire SizeMinimum Wheel WidthMaximum Wheel WidthOverall Diameter
OE-18235/55-1818x6.518x8.528.2
OE-20245/45-2020x7.520x928.7
20245/45-2020x7.520x928.7
+20275/40-2020x920x1128.7
22265/30-2222x922x1028.3
+22285/30-2222x9.522x10.528.7

Offset and Clearances
This Section is for educational purposes and to put some illustrations of how wheel application works:

20x8 Blacktop Wheel with 25mm Offset
OEM Wheel Example
So, you have a better understanding of how
wheels work, Offset refers to how your car's
wheels and tires are mounted and sit in the
wheel well. The distance is measured by
positive or negative increments of MM from
the center where the hub is located.

In this image your looking at the black top wheel
offered by dodge in the current 2020 blacktop
package. It comes with 25mm of offset and in
20" of overall diameter and 8" of width. From
factory it comes with 245/45R20. which is pretty
decent being a factory size.

Now lets compare it to an aftermarket application
below using the same suggested tire size for a 20"
wheel in the front and staggered in the back

So what we are looking at is the same 20x8+25mm Offset
Blacktop wheel from before (Still in orange) in comparison
to a 245/35R20 mounted on a 20x9 and 15mm Offset, which
just so happens to be the most aggressive application using the
wheels maximum section width of 9" and the most Negative (+15) Offset.
Notice how the lines of the new tire is not only pointing away
from the suspension components but the wheel is further out.

This is the ideal situation you want in the front of the car no matter
what wheel you decide to put on the car. the less possibility to rub
on the inside when doing a full turn the better. You can always expect
that so long as your in the correct suggested offset for a vehicle you shouldn't have a problem.
Any further though and you'll risk obstruction from objects
such as drive train, suspension, or fenders.

The Image bellow will have the 275/40R20 with the same offset but in the
rear where you will notice a difference when its on a 20x11 wheel which is the most
aggressive set up for the rear on a 275/40R20 with 15mm offset

Final result when you put a 245/45R20 +15 offset 20x9 and a 275/40R20 +15 20x11:

All things considered You can always put bigger tires if you wanted but you need to accommodate for addition space between the suspension and if you decide to lower
the vehicle You'll have to move to a wider wheel and smaller profile tire to make for the
increase or decrease of diameter with a bit of stretching. Like if you put a 315/35R20 in
the rear It'll fit on a 20x10.5-11" wheel in the back with the right offset, it'll just poke out like a sucker and You'll need the wide body kit for it then. It has the same
diameter as a 275/40R20 and 245/45R20, its simply a lot wider and will stick outside of your fender. Hellcats w/o the wide body run 275/40R20 front and rear anyways. and the wide body goes even higher to 305/35R20 all around.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
19,666 Posts
You might want to mention that what you call +20 275/40 are not recommended on stock 8" width wheels

A Guy

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You might want to mention that what you call +20 275/40 are not recommended on stock 8" width wheels

A Guy
That's why the trims that come with 20" have an OE-20, Ill make a legend for what the acronyms mean

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
19,666 Posts
OK, I think I understand what you mean to an extent. Not specifying wheel width on what you call +20. For instance, you can do a 10.5" wheel with 315/35 with the correct offset in the rear on 2015+ RWD which have rolled fenders from the factory. Why only 2016-2018 for the SXT Plus? 2015-2020 is the same. GT AWD is 2017-2020

A Guy

·
Registered
2019 SXT Blacktop in Triple Nickel
134 Posts
Been looking at threads talking about larger tires and more performance. You state the SXT with the OE 20x8 won't fit a 275, so would going bigger from OE 245s up to 265s give me much of a gain in anything or is that just more for the looks of the car?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, I think I understand what you mean to an extent. Not specifying wheel width on what you call +20. For instance, you can do a 10.5" wheel with 315/35 with the correct offset in the rear on 2015+ RWD which have rolled fenders from the factory. Why only 2016-2018 for the SXT Plus? 2015-2020 is the same. GT AWD is 2017-2020

A Guy
I separated them because the SXT plus doesn't have an option smaller than 20 OEM just a matter of being detailed and not cutting corners, also Googles SEO Will help people when they look up anything among the lines of "sxt plus"

and yes if you look up at the link i provided for the tire calculator you'll be able to use the calculator to determine the best sizes that'll fit a wheel is an offset appropriate to their trim, this process becomes a head ache with the R/T's and up when ever i quote wheels for customers at work.

Here would be the one for the 315/35R20 in the event where someone would want to put 20x12 In the rear so long as the offset is in the trims suggested MM application should be fine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Been looking at threads talking about larger tires and more performance. You state the SXT with the OE 20x8 won't fit a 275, so would going bigger from OE 245s up to 265s give me much of a gain in anything or is that just more for the looks of the car?
So in your situation if you have the 20x8 blacktop wheels from factory you shouldn't put 265 in neither the front or rear ill show bellow:

As you can the 265/45R20 has a minimum section width of 20x8.5" while i've seen people put tires under the minimum section width on wheels ( which looks like a bulging hot mess ) its incredibly difficult for a tire installer to do, sometimes impossible depending on the tire brand you buy. (Tire structure and rubber compound mostly)

if your planning on going staggered also follow the +/- rule in terms of sidewall if your go up 20mm from 245 to 265 50% is going to be your sidewalls width your overall diameter should always be pretty equal:

A 265/45R20 would be way out of the recommended Diameter for our challengers, here's something i would suggest if you don't want to do a 275 in the rear or the price of a 275 is out of your budget. This is also a great example of what i mean with the +/- Rule. Although a 275 would be better suited

For the most aggressive set up ( Or as my customer call it " The biggest " ) a 20x9/20x10 would be pretty dope could also do 20x10.5 and 20x11 in the rear only, the wider the wheel the more the shoulder height (Or profile/sidewall) will stretch from bead to the top giving more clearance if you ever want to lower the suspension with a negative offset to compensate space between the tire and the suspension/drivetrain.

As you can see Equal Diameter with sidewall clearance perfectly matched if you want the most aggressive stance 20x9 and 20x11 with the appropriate offset on the wheel.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If what your looking for is better performance out of your tire, its size makes a big difference the section width of the tread will provide more contact with the asphalt promoting better traction and cornering. Id start off with lowering the suspension first with springs to start the 20x8 blacktop wheels are pretty great in their own respect. But the tire makes the biggest difference. Switching over to a much lower UTQG the firestone firehawk GT's from factory have a 460 A A and are all season tires that are V rated.

move up to something like this: Sumitomo HTRZ5
A really decent Japanese
Not only is its traction rating AA and UTQG 320 but your moving up to an actual performance Tire " Y " on the speed and Rated 245/45"Z"R20

Cheaper than OEM and more than likely to satisfy your needs performance wise without having to buy wheels and tires of course.

Also Consider some economy brands out there like the :Sailun Atrezzo SVA1

In case your pockets are hurting.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
19,666 Posts
So not meaning to crap on your thread, but again, 2015-2020 SXT Plus are all 20", yet you list only 2016-2018. There is not a smaller option OEM on the 2015, nor the 2019-2020...So I can't see any separation. I'm not questioning a separate category for the SXT Plus, just the year range which would be 2015-2020 the same.

I guess beyond that, with me knowing what fits what, etc. and I find your charts confusing. I mention this because someone new to this would surely be confused

A Guy

Reactions: Pelaezo

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So not meaning to crap on your thread, but again, 2015-2020 SXT Plus are all 20", yet you list only 2016-2018. There is not a smaller option OEM on the 2015, nor the 2019-2020...So I can't see any separation. I'm not questioning a separate category for the SXT Plus, just the year range which would be 2015-2020 the same.

I guess beyond that, with me knowing what fits what, etc. and I find your charts confusing. I mention this because someone new to this would surely be confused

A Guy
Your fine brother, but in 2015 there was no SXT PLUS specific Trim model, from 2016-18 FCA decided to make the SXT PLUS a trim in it self (Like R/T, Shaker, Scat Pack), 2019-2020 they went ahead and took it a set further and made it now SXT RWD and SXT AWD, but SXT Plus option available,

If I had to assume its probably because they focused back on making the PLUS an optional package listed on the sicker rather than an actual Trim. It is the exact same fitments yes, but for the sake of eliminating any doubt.

here's a few screen shots:

2015 2016 2019

Biggest take away from the charts is not specific wheel information like 20x10 with a 35mm offset, but what the parameters are for something to work with the car, situations like these:

" Will this wheel fit my challenger " and they send us a screen shot of a 5x120 20" aftermarket wheel with 30mm offset which would fit perfectly for a BMW.

With the charts specifications you can confirm for the most part, Coincidentally I found out the GT AWD came out in 17' and the 19/20 SXT models come in AWD as well, I adjusted the charts so they're more user friendly. Also adding some more info i got from a few friends and a little bit more research I did for about the challenger.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I think this is a great idea to put all of this info in a single post. I did, however, notice that the AWD GT is listed as a 35-45mm offset. The stock 19" wheels on the GT are actually +55 offset. I'm honestly not sure if you are documenting what came on the car or what could/might fit, but anything less than +55 offset will stick out further than the stock wheels on the AWD GT's (and AWD SXT's, I'm assuming). Just a heads-up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think this is a great idea to put all of this info in a single post. I did, however, notice that the AWD GT is listed as a 35-45mm offset. The stock 19" wheels on the GT are actually +55 offset. I'm honestly not sure if you are documenting what came on the car or what could/might fit, but anything less than +55 offset will stick out further than the stock wheels on the AWD GT's (and AWD SXT's, I'm assuming). Just a heads-up.
Crazy enough I looked up the OEM Part# 6TE863TRMAA and it is in fact a 55mm wheel, seems since 2017 my fitment guide is telling me that 45mm is the maximum offset, the only reason i could see why is because that car is on a 19x7.5" Wheel thats incredibly narrow for modern standards even if it is 19" I posted some images bellow so you can compare the aftermarket option with its most aggressive suggested fitment for comparison

This right here is if you put a 20x8.5 with +55 or a +50 offset it's essentially swallowing the control arm ontop of the fact that the tire is dangerously close to the suspension. That's probably why they dont suggest an offset greater than 45mm is my best bet, i sent my fitment people an email just to confirm.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got a phone call back, its exactly what I said above Dodge cut corners with the 19" option for cost's and put a measly 7.5" wheel front and rear, " If they decide to put a wider wheel the offset needs to go down anything greater than 45 will more than likely rub or hit upon motion of the suspension "

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
19,666 Posts
I don't know what you mean there was no SXT Plus trim, if you mean that it was a package for an SXT, that would make no difference on whee/tire fitment, and the Plus is what specifies 20" wheels. All 5 articles on 2015 trims I looked at listed SXT Plus and R/T Plus, but makes no nevermind now

I like your new charts better, there was no reason to separate out specific trims that had the same numbers, unless you did an 18" chart, and a 20" chart, etc.

A 315/35 on a 10.5" wheel also doesn't stick out much, certainly not enough to need a widebody kit? I'd certainly recommend Splash Guards

I believe the AWD GT got 19x7.5" wide wheels due to expected snow use

A Guy

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I don't know what you mean there was no SXT Plus trim, if you mean that it was a package for an SXT, that would make no difference on whee/tire fitment, and the Plus is what specifies 20" wheels. All 5 articles on 2015 trims I looked at listed SXT Plus and R/T Plus, but makes no nevermind now

I like your new charts better, there was no reason to separate out specific trims that had the same numbers, unless you did an 18" chart, and a 20" chart, etc.

A 315/35 on a 10.5" wheel also doesn't stick out much, certainly not enough to need a widebody kit? I'd certainly recommend Splash Guards

View attachment 999731

I believe the AWD GT got 19x7.5" wide wheels due to expected snow use

A Guy
Nice ride, what offset are your 20x10.5?

and like i mentioned SEO on google will pick out the words "SXT" "PLUS" specific from the main thread for those who look it up specifically As a "Reason" to separate out the trims, its just how FCA Reported the cars and any car configuring tool will separate them. as for 2015 in june the SXT Plus was already being sold for 2016 but during the summer of 15' same way 2017 models carried into 2018 but as of 2019 The specific trim SXT PLUS no longer exists

Makes no difference in the end the, SXT platform is essentially been the same since 2009 other than the introduction of AWD and the GT, You'd be surprised how more often then not I have to explain that in most cars the trims don't make a difference. Still though personally I just like to be thorough with my info.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
19,666 Posts
Pictures from the net. I don't have 10.5", stock 8". I love the Blacktop wheels, only reason I would change is to go 9.5" and 10.5" staggered...but can't justify the cost for just looks

A Guy

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited by Moderator)
Pictures from the net. I don't have 10.5", stock 8". I love the Blacktop wheels, only reason I would change is to go 9.5" and 10.5" staggered...but can't justify the cost for just looks

A Guy
took me all day to click edit on my last comment work was super busy lol, but if you want a good enough reason, Depending on the Wheel you buy:

Weight Reduction
Performance and Traction
Replacement Tire Cost
And the most important one imo: Smiles Per Miles
Forget the other three imagine that feeling you'll have when a group of cute girls are staring you down rolling slowly by wishing they could be in the passenger seat in one of the hottest "Daddy" Material on wheels in the market. If that's not your vice, think about the envious JDM bois will discretely take pictures of your car when your not looking or around. People pulling up in their mid sized sedans rolling their windows down " Da b*tch clean " its the epitome of the best feeling any car owner could have, ask me how I know. You top that off with a sexy exhaust and a lowered suspension, you got yourself a sweet ass ride.

Jokes aside its worth it imo, the 20x8 factory wheels are great in their own sense, you can buy some some brake spacers to space them about a bit more if you really wanted to make the stance a bit more aggressive.

Feel free too message me directly, or if you got snap chat, Like i said i do sell these for a living and you'd be surprised just how much cheaper it is.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
19,666 Posts
Again, the only reason I would be changing wheels to wider is for looks. Lighter wheels (more expensive) and performance are not issues for me. My car has 17,000 miles, so new tires will be a very intermittent thing. I'll be 60 in October, if the "pretty girls" even noticed my car, it would end at seeing me driving it, lol. JDM bois can look or not, makes no nevermind to me. Same with people in mid size sedans who either don't look, or if they did, wouldn't comment, just wish they had a different car.

Not meant in offense, but you missed your target audience with me ;) I made my car the way I wanted. Not once have I considered what others would think. I like my smooth, simple lines. I do like rear windows louvers, front splitter extensions with rods, rear diffusers...but that would be a different car then, not what my vision is. I do think wider wheels/tires and bigger brakes would look good with my vision, but can't justify the $ for them. I could have bought a Hellcat when I got my car, but couldn't justify to myself. Same with the V8...didn't need it, couldn't justify the cost just to have it. I may be the oddball, but it's my world, and I'll be King Oddball in it :D

I get people telling me nice car. I see people in Camaros and Mustangs staring as I pass. I have seen young guys in BRZs and FRSs looking hard. I've had fart can Hondas revving to make them pop (they pop slowing for every stop sign, lol). It's all good, If they like their cars, or styles, more power to em. My car is black and shiny, makes me happy

A Guy

·
Registered
2019 SXT Blacktop in Triple Nickel
134 Posts
Again, the only reason I would be changing wheels to wider is for looks. Lighter wheels (more expensive) and performance are not issues for me. My car has 17,000 miles, so new tires will be a very intermittent thing. I'll be 60 in October, if the "pretty girls" even noticed my car, it would end at seeing me driving it, lol. JDM bois can look or not, makes no nevermind to me. Same with people in mid size sedans who either don't look, or if they did, wouldn't comment, just wish they had a different car.

Not meant in offense, but you missed your target audience with me ;) I made my car the way I wanted. Not once have I considered what others would think. I like my smooth, simple lines. I do like rear windows louvers, front splitter extensions with rods, rear diffusers...but that would be a different car then, not what my vision is. I do think wider wheels/tires and bigger brakes would look good with my vision, but can't justify the $ for them. I could have bought a Hellcat when I got my car, but couldn't justify to myself. Same with the V8...didn't need it, couldn't justify the cost just to have it. I may be the oddball, but it's my world, and I'll be King Oddball in it :D

I get people telling me nice car. I see people in Camaros and Mustangs staring as I pass. I have seen young guys in BRZs and FRSs looking hard. I've had fart can Hondas revving to make them pop (they pop slowing for every stop sign, lol). It's all good, If they like their cars, or styles, more power to em. My car is black and shiny, makes me happy

A Guy
This is it. More people should have this mind set and let people be the king of their own oddball world.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

A Guy
Lol no offense taken, wasn't really trying to push anything on you. I bought my 20' SXT with the specific features I wanted, regretfully at 22 I couldn't even get my foot in with financing with my credit score to get a v8. So i settled with the v6 with lower payments and cheaper insurance with my record (speeding/accidents). But I get the impression you bought the challenger because you love the retro look with simplicity that it offers.

and 60? That's sugar daddy status! it comes as an upgrade with the AARP Card :LOL::ROFLMAO: among other things like Goff/Yacht Club Discounts. I kid i kid, none the less, In the end you get what you payed for,I've learned most people tend to want to change to something else later on down the road. I bought the v6 because just like you Money wise didnt make sense with what was being offered to me, on of the fact that its my daily i use which with less than 2 months of ownership i already have 1,300 miles

As much as I love the 20x8 Blacktop wheels that came with my car, eventually I will probably swap them out for something like these two, but only when the 20x8 just aren't cutting it anymore,

1 - 20 of 20 Posts