Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never had any problem with my car since I bought it new in 2017. Only oil changes & tries rotation done as scheduled. Local dealer offered me a good deal on those, so it was always done at the dealer.

However, twice I had a small engine oil leak at the oil filter. Once right after an oil change – dealer replaced the new oil filter with another one and the leak was gone. Reason given = probably a defective oil filter.
Another time happened a few week ago, I was due for an oil change anyway, the dealer just replaced the oil & the filter and the leak is gone.
When I asked why is this happening, my service adviser told me that this HEMI V8 5.7 is known for building pressure at the oil filter.

Is that right? Anybody else heard about this? Have anyone else experienced this issue?
Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2012 Charger Pursuit
5,570 Posts
I haven’t heard that, nor have I experienced any leaks at the oil filter.

Maybe it is a thing, but it’s not a well known one if it is.

·
Registered
9,313 Posts
Sounds like the OP needs to find a different dealer.

If they can't even get an oil change right, I can only imagine what the rest of the shop is like.

Their explanation of "why" there was a leak sums up how this shop operates.

Run, run away quickly.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like the OP needs to find a different dealer.

If they can't even get an oil change right, I can only imagine what the rest of the shop is like.

Their explanation of "why" there was a leak sums up how this shop operates.

Run, run away quickly.
..not to mention half the times they said they rotated the tires, they didn't..

·
Registered
9,313 Posts
..not to mention half the times they said they rotated the tires, they didn't..
That's probably a good thing. You would have lost a wheel because all lug nuts would have been left loose!

Run, run, run.

·
Registered
132 Posts
So far so good on no leaks on my 10 RT Classic.(Knock on wood)But I kinda remember that gettin the factory oil filter off was a bear.Unless I have it confused with another oil change.

·
Registered
165 Posts
One thing to check for if you do them yourself, sometimes the old filter gasket can basically bake onto the mating surface and get stuck. If that debris isn’t removed before tightening the new filter on it could cause a leak.

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
620 Posts
done a few oil changes since 1982, my ram need more tight after a few miles. Truck did it twice on me. Filter was drooling. tightened some more and it went away.

so 1/4 turn is not enough on this truck

·
Premium Member
1,642 Posts
I never had any problem with my car since I bought it new in 2017. Only oil changes & tries rotation done as scheduled. Local dealer offered me a good deal on those, so it was always done at the dealer.

However, twice I had a small engine oil leak at the oil filter. Once right after an oil change – dealer replaced the new oil filter with another one and the leak was gone. Reason given = probably a defective oil filter.
Another time happened a few week ago, I was due for an oil change anyway, the dealer just replaced the oil & the filter and the leak is gone.
When I asked why is this happening, my service adviser told me that this HEMI V8 5.7 is known for building pressure at the oil filter.

Is that right? Anybody else heard about this? Have anyone else experienced this issue?
Thanks in advance.
Hi razteo, We're happy to hear that your concern has been resolved by the dealer. Should this or any other concerns return in the future, please do not hesitate to reach out!
Rob
DodgeCares

·
Registered
269 Posts
yup, if not put on tight it will leak. my 14 filter was welded on my first oil change !!
I hate hearing that. I have encountered some tight filters on cars and friends cars, that were like they had been welded on ! Not to fun .
oh well, I look forward to the challenge, :alien:
parrott

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,759 Posts
Poor V8 owners :p

A Guy

·
Registered
269 Posts
I know ! 3.6 is super easy. 10 minutes tops for the Jeep, I don't even have to use ramps, jacks,blocks,, bricks, cinder-blocks:giggle:. 15/16 socket for the canister.
Just depends on how long would you like for it to drain.
yeah, you are right A-Guy, the pentastar is super quick and easy. (y)
best regards
parrott

·
Registered
2,029 Posts

Thanks in advance.
That is correct but BS.

The oil filter is under pressure all the time the engine is running.

What is probably going on is the filter is not being installed correctly.

When the old filter is removed the surface against which the filter rubber "gasket" seals should be wiped clean. The filter rubber gasket should be given a light coating of fresh oil. I have seen some "mechanics" take the new filter and the old filter and bring their rubber gaskets together to transfer oil from the old filter gasket to the new filter gasket. No. No. No.

When I changed engine oil and the engine used a spin-on oil filter IIRC the filter was hand threaded to the block -- to ensure it was not cross threaded -- hand tight then given another 3/4 turn. Now there may now be a tightening torque call out. If so this is how tight the filter should be.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,798 Posts
Didn't the 3.6 on the jeeps have an oil leak problem?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,759 Posts
That was the oil cooler, redesigned and different filter from 2014 to 2015

A Guy

1 - 20 of 35 Posts