Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
835 Posts
I hate hearing that. I have encountered some tight filters on cars and friends cars, that were like they had been welded on ! Not to fun .
oh well, I look forward to the challenge, :alien:
parrott
Round up a strap wrench like I have here....

·
Registered
757 Posts
I had pretty consistent problems with my 13’ challenger rt leaking at the filter.
I use K&N filters that have the 1” nut on the bottom and would hand tighten them and use a one 1” socket and breaker to turn the last 3/4. Leaks almost every time. Tried same method with different filters (mobil, mopar) and same result.
Finally took the k&ns and do hand tight plus 1 full to 1 1/4 turns and they’re good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
269 Posts

Yes sir, I have my trusty strap wrench. It comes in handy on 4.0 engine, in 'old' Jeep.

It works good on the Lexus also. When we first bought it the factory had torqued that canister down tight and I didn't know the size of the filter canister. Good thing though it is made of aluminium, I couldn't crush it.
I think I saw a pic, isn't the filter mounted straight up on the right side on the Challenger V8's?

Oh yeah, that was your thread 'GSBrockman' , LOL I knew I seen something somewhere, (y)

yeah Man, I have my strap-wrench
Best regards
parrott

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
620 Posts
Filter has the instructions right on it !! LOL

3/4 of a turn after touch, I go 1/4 to 1/2. Guess I am a idiot...………...

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
179 Posts
I have a 2007 Ram with a 5.7 and its never had a leak. Has over 102k miles. No leaks from the Challenger either. Has 25k.

·
Premium Member
2012 Charger Pursuit
5,569 Posts

Strap wrench doesn’t work if the filter screws onto an oil cooler like the 6.xL engines and some special 5.7L engines have.

The extra length of the cooler housing pushes the filter down to where there is not enough room to turn the handle on a strap wrench (or one of the classic style oil filter wrenches either since they are basically the same shape and are actuated in the same manner).

The best tool I have found for this setup is one of those 3 pronged filter sockets:

One of those paired with a 3/8” drive ratchet (and 3” extension if so desired) will make short work of even the tightest filters around.

I’ve run across a couple on others’ Hemis that were so tight I would end up crushing them with that socket above before breaking them loose, but crushed or uncrushed, no filter stays on for long once I hit em with that puppy! :cool:

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Filter has the instructions right on it !! LOL

3/4 of a turn after touch, I go 1/4 to 1/2. Guess I am a idiot...………...
Not an idiot. But I have to wonder why if the instructions are on the filter why you chose to ignore them?

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
That's a monster of an oil filter socket. Never seen one like that before. I used a large socket -- composite plastic -- that I tested against a sample filter canister housing -- my previous car engines didn't use a spin on filter but a canister filter housing with a replaceable filter element -- to ensure a good fit.

For older cars with the spin on filter I had a selection of large enough cast aluminum sockets which fit the filter and a couple of strap wrenches for just in case.

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
620 Posts
Not an idiot. But I have to wonder why if the instructions are on the filter why you chose to ignore them?
I have never wrenched them on tight ever and always can take mine off by hand.

My Ram has to tight or it leaks, just saying what I observed.

Maybe when U spend your life using a torque wrench on everything, U SLIP up while using hands...……..sorry

1/4 turn is what was taught, not 3/4 turn

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
620 Posts
A good read:

Goes to show the Hemi makes more pressure the others I own. More tight then Silverado.

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
135 Posts
I always "hand tighten" my filters at least 3/4 of a turn past contact. Never had one leak...knock on wood. Use an oil filter wrench of some type to remove. And I too have issues with removing the factory installed filter. I think they put it on with dry gasket. Loved the canister filter on my 2016 Cherokee V6. Chevy HHR also used a canister filter. No mess no fuss. Wish the 5.7L used a canister. It is always a "mess" removing the filter. I ordered ValvoMax drain kits for my vehicles. Sure looks like a good way to drain the oil.

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
620 Posts
The lessen here is NEWER car a crazy oil pressure VS the older cars of the day. My 77 F150 and 84 Dodge do not have crazy oil pressure for sure !! LOL

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I have never wrenched them on tight ever and always can take mine off by hand.

My Ram has to tight or it leaks, just saying what I observed.

Maybe when U spend your life using a torque wrench on everything, U SLIP up while using hands...……..sorry

1/4 turn is what was taught, not 3/4 turn
Generally a torque wrench is used to avoid over tightening. Watching people working on machinery/equipment if some tightening is good more is better.

In a machine shop where I worked I had a chance to watch one guy who would gaze lovingly upon his bicep as he tightened the nuts on the hold down studs that clamped the part to the machine tool table. After a while all his hold downs were bent from his over tightening. These had survived decades of use by other machinists.

I also used a torque wrench when torque was critical in high pressure vessel testing. Worked on a special miniature (NASA) wind tunnel ("miniature" still several feet in diameter and on a rectangular steel I-beam frame around 8 feet wide and over 12 feet long, used to test components that would be subject to conditions in the Venus atmosphere. This vessel was required to withstand an internal pressure nearly 1000psi at some ungodly elevated temperature. The flanges of the sections of the wind tunnel were held together by very large bolts/nuts. The distance across the flats was 3 inches. I do not recall the torque call out now but the shop had to rent a special torque wrench that went high enoungh and had a handle 4 or 5 feet in length in order to tighten the nuts down to the proper torque.

With spin on filters I just followed the directions on the filter box. With canister filters the factory has a tightening torque call out which I adhered to.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,434 Posts
I hand tighten all filters, period. Then I can actually get them off again. And ALL engines build pressure at the filter, well, not all, some suck through a filter, like trannys... (read that how ever you want to)
I have had cars in the past, finger tight, then at next change, they would be welded on. Hammer a long screwdriver through them and use it like a handle, no issues! The old 2.5 Pontiac had a tiny filter, nothing fit it back then, but a screwdriver through it would win every time.
As for strap wrenches, I have one that is actual chain, that wrinkles and bites in pretty good as well, doesn't slip, but the handle will bend.

·
Premium Member
2012 Charger Pursuit
5,569 Posts
Nuke-fucious say, “The best oil filter is a good air filter.

Now if I could just find an air filter wrench, I’d be golden!

21 - 35 of 35 Posts