Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
Have you looked into whether selling or trading it in would be a viable and less expensive, and easier, option? With the Power Dollars rebate being extended to Nov 30, it just might be. Dealers are looking for cars to fill their used car lots, and are paying top $ for them.

·
Super Moderator
17,469 Posts
it is not an easy process nor inexpensive

its better off to trade and buy a V8 model

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you looked into whether selling or trading it in would be a viable and less expensive, and easier, option? With the Power Dollars rebate being extended to Nov 30, it just might be. Dealers are looking for cars to fill their used car lots, and are paying top $ for them.
No I havent my insurance right now is only $75 mo.for full coverage and the car is pd for and dont really want another big payment. also i love the idea of a sleeper car
but thank you

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
10,523 Posts
No I havent my insurance right now is only $75 mo.for full coverage and the car is pd for and dont really want another big payment. also i love the idea of a sleeper car
but thank you
With the money you will wind up putting into the V6...those saving will be negated. You are going to be looking at a minimum of ~$6k, which gets you close to beating a V8. Not trying to make you change your mind but if you are looking at it from a cost savings...it ain't. Oh and you probably will need to run premium exclusively.

·
Registered
2011 SXT
2,959 Posts
I understand by Insurance rates how ever when all is said and done you spend more then you would trading up to a RT. The Hemi you get will set you a few grand and most likely will need to be gone through, then you will need a R/T PCM and Rewiring since the Harness wont be the Same, all the parts to get one to fit, new Trans or updating it , Exhaust, Brakes, Rear End Suspension update to handle the weight of the Hemi in the Front, you see where this is going. You want a RT then trade it buy one cheaper in long run compared to what you think the Insurance difference will be and a straight RT will be more reliable then a Mod. I have an SXT and love the the V8's as well but with minor investment it can give some more fun and performance but in long run if I was trying to go route you are id simply Trade it and pay up.

Building the Pentastar V5 your going to spend about 10k all said and done, Supercharger 6k Tuner Unit Brakes, Exhaust, Suspension Update to plant the HP, Tires Upgrade, New Throttle Body, Injectors Trans Updates, etc., same boat if you want a V8 Performance get a V8. If you buy a used Supercharger get ready to maybe grenade the engine.

Back in the day I had a GNX wish I still had that btw but I ended up spending 17k in updates plus price of car when all was said in done wish I had left it alone Yeah I got 1 second faster was it worth it nope.

·
Registered
2011 SXT
2,959 Posts
Just for clarification the 2013 used a 3.6L V6
The Question he asked was Starter of this Discusion was I've got a 2013 3.8 l V6 and want to do a V8 hemi upgrade... 5.7, or 6.2 bigger ? any suggestions or ideas ? My Reply was addressing both options Fix up the 3.6 V6 Pentastar which means he has a SE / SXT wanting to fix up or to replace the V6 it with a Hemi so addressed both in my reply. Cheaper for him to trade it in long run less issues , complications and better reliability then modifying anything.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
If you're asking questions like that, and you don't even know what engine you currently have, do not attempt to take on an engine swap project. Keep what you have and enjoy. Or, buy the car you really want to begin with, if you can afford it.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
10,523 Posts
Yeah but OP is saying he has a 3.8L V6 and you are talking about Pentastar V5...you're going to confuse noobs. Besides OP does not give any other info like what car the engine is going into. Also those PCMs for the older engines like 3.8L might not be tuneable. I have an old 3.7L V6 and really nothing can be done with the PCM. At least not with HP tuners.

Building the Pentastar V5 your going to.....
The Question he asked was Starter of this Discusion was I've got a 2013 3.8 l V6 and want to do a V8 hemi upgrade... 5.7, or 6.2 bigger ? any suggestions or ideas ? My Reply was addressing both options Fix up the 3.6 V6 Pentastar which means he has a SE / SXT wanting to fix up or to replace the V6 it with a Hemi so addressed both in my reply. Cheaper for him to trade it in long run less issues , complications and better reliability then modifying anything.
As for suggestions I already gave my $0.02.
With the money you will wind up putting into the V6...those saving will be negated. You are going to be looking at a minimum of ~$6k, which gets you close to beating a V8. Not trying to make you change your mind but if you are looking at it from a cost savings...it ain't. Oh and you probably will need to run premium exclusively.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,209 Posts
Reactions: ChallyTatum

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,452 Posts
Ive got a 2013 3.8 l V6 and want to do a V8 hemi upgrade... 5.7, or 6.2 bigger ? any suggestions or ideas ?
Couple of things come to mind.

1) Go big or go home.
2) No replacement for displacement.
3) Speed (power) costs money, How fast do you want to go?

My limited experience is you will spend a lot of money. You may end up with a pretty reliable engine and car. Maybe. If you just leave the larger engine stock that is its most reliable state. If you can swap it into your car and do a "factory" job that possibly should have the new engine plus old car setup reliable. No gremlins from the shade tree swap. The cooling system is sufficient and then some. Fuel system ditto. The engine controller is able to properly control the new engine. And so on. The list is quite long.

If you have done something like this before and had success at it and are willing to spend the money and time, consider the 6.4l engine. But whether it will physically fit in your car's engine bay I can't say.

I read above in another of your posts you want a sleeper? Well, you will give the game away when you rumble up in your car with the big V8 sound coming from the exhaust even if the engine is stock.

You want a "sleeper", at least until you open the hood? Supercharge the car's engine, the V6. A centrifugal supercharger is fairly simple to install and with reasonable boost perks up the engine with minimal risk to the engine.

The engine already is in the car and all its systems are functioning. The engine controller may need a "tune" to get the most output and the most reliable output from the engine. The supercharger kit manufacturer should cover this. And if there is a kit that means others have gone down this path before you so all you have to do is find one or more and pick their brains.

My preference is to if one wants a hot rod to buy a hot rod, already made. IMHO the best hot rods are made by the factory. The factory has solved all the problems. Done all the work to integrate the bigger/more powerful engine into the car. But also addressed other areas like cooling, fuel delivery, exhaust, more robust drive train, brakes, and last but not least engine control/management so the engine starts reliably code, warm or hot. Doesn't detonate it brains out and runs "clean" and is as efficient as its size and power output allow for.

In your case then this means trading up to a car that came from the factory with a V8. An R/T with a 5.7l engine. Or you can go bigger and get a Scat Pack with a 6.4l engine.

Or you can go even bigger and go Hellcat with its 6.2l engine. Well, go smaller in size but bigger in output. There is of course now the RE with even more power.

'course, as you go up in size/power you go up in cost. You can mitigate this somewhat by finding/buying a good used example. But you should also get a quote for insurance for the "new" car just so you know.

There is yet another option. Damp down the desire for more power. Save your money. Enjoy the car you have. You know it know its condition, it obviously suits your needs. With reasonable care and a bit of luck the car should deliver thousands of miles and years and years of reasonably trouble free service.

The money you don't spend on any engine swap or engine upgrade or car upgrade you can save. Then when you want to buy a larger/more powerful car, a "factory" hot rod, and begin the process again.

·
Registered
2015 RT Shaker (STP/A8/FORGED/NAPPA/NO SUNROOF)
712 Posts
Trade for the V8, less hassle.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts