Dodge Challenger Forum banner

VA emissions...OBD monitor "not ready" status. Need to pass to get plates renewed!

7216 24
OK, My 09 R/T is getting its first emissions testing done. I just relocated to a part of northern Va that requires emissions testing. The test is now due. I took it the other day and the inspector said it rejected because it comes up not ready. He does the regular inspection for me and knows the car isn't driven but around 1000 miles a year. I also had to replace the battery a couple of months ago as the original finally died. He had me leave and go drive it for a half hour and bring it back and it failed again. Same code. He said to take it on a long drive over the wknd and we can try again. Little does he know, shortly after buying it I took it to Arrington and had a cam installed, and the computer was re-tuned. I also have no cats, but figured I would try anyway. I still have the original catted mid pipes which I can re-install which I'm sure I will have to. Could the lack of the cats be causing the O2 sensors not to read? or could they be turned off in the tune which is causing this? Any one know of someone that will get this passed? HE HE :D I am attaching my report.
Text Font Document Paper
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

· Premium Member
11,681 Posts
Yep, I'm thinking this is whats gonna have to happen. I still have the original mid pipes, they are basically brand new still LOL, I will bolt those back on and make an appt with a hi-perf shop thats minutes away. They have a dyno and can re-tune it.
How often does it need to get inspected?

· Registered
2015 RT Shaker (STP/A8/FORGED/NAPPA/NO SUNROOF)
710 Posts

· Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
10,160 Posts
Yep, I'm thinking this is whats gonna have to happen. I still have the original mid pipes, they are basically brand new still LOL, I will bolt those back on and make an appt with a hi-perf shop thats minutes away. They have a dyno and can re-tune it.
Yep! Or get high flow cats.

· Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I wouldn’t go to this trouble that often, put it to where it passes and be done.
Thats whats going to happen. I bought the car new, 11 yrs ago and where i lived there was no emissions inspections so I went all the way, plus I raced it, so I had no worries. I havent raced it for 7 or 8 yrs now and relocated recently to an area that requires emissions. I figured eventually they would send me a notice and they did............I don't drive it that much now so I guess the cats go on and a new tune. Hopefully they can make it work and with the cam thats in there and tune it to pass.

Yep! Or get high flow cats.
The factory cats flow pretty good from what I understand, they are massive but breathe well. Not like a lot of those small aftermarket bullet style cats.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.