Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is fascinating. I was doing some research on VA inspections and emissions and trying to figure out what I can and can't do to my car and I saw this article from the "Department of Environmental Quality". Some VA government employees are apparently out there with lasers and infrared and likely license plate reading cameras checking mass traffic and somehow isolating "bad emissions qualities" in passing vehicles.
Virginia DEQ - Air Check Virginia - On-Road Emissions Program FAQ

Has anyone else ever heard of this?

·
Registered
2009 R/T
1,371 Posts
A test was set up with this system in the Toronto area in the late 90's but was deemed to be unreliable. The only single lanes that could be used to test individual vehicle emissions were either highway on or off ramps. Since the vehicle would be either accelerating or decerlerating at this time, the readings were not indicative of a steady state test.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I've heard of this remote testing but never seen the set-up sites anywhere in VA area. Except for the ones actually with smoking tailpipes going down the freeway - they won't catch the 10,000lbs and over trucks with no catalytic converters doing lawn maintenance. Just think of all the associated weed whackers trimming office buildings using 2-cycle engines will never be seen as well...lol

I guess if you modified your new car they could catch you in the act between emissions testing.

·
Premium Member
3,031 Posts
Yet another money making scam.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Very Interesting! I dont believe I have ever seen this in operation, which I guess is a good thing because they claim that its not supposed to interfere with traffic movement which is bad enough as is.

The only good thing I can see is that if the air quality of my vehicle is good then it adds one more year till the next inspection is due for registration renewal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts