Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
DODGE CHALLENGER SRT392
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All,

Is it recommended to put Valve Cover Breather on a new 2017 SRT392 along with catch can, even though there is no leak?

Will it in any case void the warranty of the car?
Alien.

·
Registered
759 Posts
It will not help in any significant manner. It just helps vent positive crankcase pressure such as under high engine load. If you highly modified your engine or constantly run at the track, I would say do it. If not, it is not needed but won't hurt.

The 6.4L actually has a "breather" of sorts. There is a tube that runs from under the oil fill location to the air intake box/filter. This serves the same purpose. Instead of venting the air to the atmosphere it is vented into the intake stream.

Shouldn't void any part of your warranty. That said you can remove it and replace the oil fill cap in less than 5 minutes if you needed to bring the car to the dealer for any reason and your warranty was of concern.

·
Registered
DODGE CHALLENGER SRT392
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It will not help in any significant manner. It just helps vent positive crankcase pressure such as under high engine load. If you highly modified your engine or constantly run at the track, I would say do it. If not, it is not needed but won't hurt.

The 6.4L actually has a "breather" of sorts. There is a tube that runs from under the oil fill location to the air intake box/filter. This serves the same purpose. Instead of venting the air to the atmosphere it is vented into the intake stream.

Shouldn't void any part of your warranty. That said you can remove it and replace the oil fill cap in less than 5 minutes if you needed to bring the car to the dealer for any reason and your warranty was of concern.
But some people were saying, If i ad breather, it smells bad and when the AC in ON the smell would enter inside the car.

If the breather sort is already present, there is not point of having an aftermarket item in the car. Would it be any different, or advantage? I guess no, still need your thoughts on it.

Thanking again.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Uh never heard of anything like poor smell or anything like that inside the car. I suppose anything can smell bad to someone.

You may have a warm oil smell outside the car after you park after a long drive but nothing that should go inside the cabin of the car through AC. I don't even know that you would actually get a smell. If you change your own oil, I don't think you would mind it though. I've had one on my car for a years and never had any objections to it.

Only difference is some people thinks it looks "cooler" under the hood and with the breather, none of the hot crankcase air is being drawn back inside the air intake. But again, you will not notice any difference in performance unless you highly modify your motor.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Is it recommended to put Valve Cover Breather on a new 2017 SRT392 along with catch can, even though there is no leak?

Alien.
Only if you want to go back in time. :smile:

These modern engines don't need breathers. It's a closed in, recirculating system. That's why the catch cans are a good idea, because they catch some of the oil so it doesn't get back into the intake.

You're taking a small mod and making a huge deal out of it in these threads today.

Just buy a catch can and call it good. :wink3:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts