Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm doing a 392 cam swap and using the Mopar performance valve springs which I've been told require a 1mm shim when using the 392 cam which is what should come on my car already. But when ordering this part from mopar the recommended me to a new part that is just a regular stock spring but updated, it doesn't allow the extra lift which is the reason im not using it. But the mopar rep told me to remove old spring and 2MM shim and replace with new spring with new 1MM shim. Did 2010 cars not come with a 1mm shim and had a 2mm instead? I'd like to know if I need to order shims before I open the motor up as I plan on doing it all in 1 or 2 days and can't be waiting on parts to come in if I have to order new shims.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,712 Posts
Can't help you with your question but I want to remind you to check for spring coil bind if you use spring shims and a cam with higher lift than the stock cam. Really I would consider a set of springs specifically designed for the extra lift and probably quicker valve opening and and closing rates.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can't help you with your question but I want to remind you to check for spring coil bind if you use spring shims and a cam with higher lift than the stock cam. Really I would consider a set of springs specifically designed for the extra lift and probably quicker valve opening and and closing rates.
I'm using the Mopar performance valve springs, rated for up to .625 lift just like the psi 1515s. The cam I'm using is the stock 392 cam so only .574 lift I believe. I'm just unsure of what kind of shim I already have in my heads and what I would need. I was told by a few members on here it needs a 1mm shim but after Mopar described replacing a 2mm shim I'm now unsure of what's already in my car.

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
You have to go by install height you dont just yo throwing shims at it. Get the install height

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You have to go by install height you dont just yo throwing shims at it. Get the install height

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
No I completely understand that. These springs are meant to be a direct drop in for 5.7 eagle heads because when used with the factory 1mm shim they are at the correct install height. What I'm confused about is why Mopar said I have 2mm in my car now. I'll get the message from them and post it here

1 - 5 of 5 Posts