Registered
4,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found these cool Dodge valve stem caps & the description is as follows:

• Universal Fit For All Vehicles.
  • Heavy Metal Construction.
  • Copper and Chrome Plated Material.
  • "O" ring inside already.
Is there anything I need to be concerned about regarding the TPMS or are standard caps alright to use?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I don't see why you would have a problem, the TPMS is on the inside, you're just replacing the cap which isn't going to effect anything so don't worry, if we had to require "special" valve caps for our cars that'd be quite humorous

·
Registered
504 Posts
it will be a problem,your only supposed to use plastic caps..it might be in the owners manual..something about metal caps fusing to stem...search.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
504 Posts
i read that they weld or fuse themselves to the stem,then the stem breaks off trying to remove them,try searching..

·
Registered
714 Posts
It probably isn't a big deal if you remove the caps periodically, but because of the TPMS, you don't really have to check the pressure, so if they stay in place for a long time they might get stuck on there

I wouldn't worry too much about it...

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow!

I posted the question to inquire about the compatibility of these caps. I wasn't aware there's a science behind the type of caps.

After reading your advice, I searched through the threads & found that metal caps can cause galvanic corrosion, which is what makes them stick.
Additionally, valve stems are the antennas for the sensors, so metal caps can throw off the reading.

On the other hand, I also found that "O" rings resolve these issues because there's no metal on metal contact.

Is this in fact true?

Thanks again!

:scratchhead:

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any thoughts?

Someone in another thread suggested that a little tube of lithium grease to fill the caps before screwing them onto the stems does the trick.

:indifferent:

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
The tpms stems are aluminum. Any metal besides aluminum will fuse to the stem and cause it to break from the TPMS when you try to remove the caps. I reccomend against using them.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
How the heck does the TPMS's aluminum get into any condition to fuse to other metals? I've never heard of that before...the most I've heard with using metal caps is a rumor about "signal" interference...very interesting and good to know though, I never would have thought they would do that..

·
Super Moderator
15,972 Posts
So far with 2 years + time, I have chrome plated caps from the parts store on mine and no issues - don't have winter salted roads around here to worry about, just plenty of rain.

One of the plastic caps split, so I went to get replacements and the metal ones were easiest to find.

·
Premium Member
2016 Challenger Hellcat, Plum Crazy Purple, A8 (Grape Ape)
3,601 Posts
depending on the weight, it may throw the balance off(just a thought)
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

On a serious note. I have been running Chrome metal caps on my 08 for a couple of years. I haven't had one stick yet. Not saying they won't, just not mine. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
The 100 tips and tricks most of us beleive in says,

Metal valve caps are bad.

A lot of people replace their plastic TPMS valve caps with Metal chrome ones. Do not do this. If you want chrome valve caps make sure
they are TPMS friendly and are actually plastic. Metal valve caps will quickly destroy your TPMS sensors. This is due to something
called "galvanic corrosion" from dissimilar metals as the valve stem is part of the transmitter antenna system.

Replacing a TPMS sensor because of a "minor thing" like this, does not make anyone happy.

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
The reason this is occurring (galvanic corrosion) is because you have two dissimilar metals in contact with one another with an electrical signal (TPMS) present. One metal will actually eat the other and they become fused.

It may not happen, but it is likely under the right conditions, say when any electrolytic solution gets around the caps. This could be something as simple as hard water.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Don't forget that people (kids) love stealing metal valve caps. Don't know why but my father had four on his car, and now there is only one of them... and ya gotta watch the tire-changer guys when you get new tires...

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
My tire guy warned about the same thing when I took the car in to get the air replaced with Nitrogen (for free) after seeing my aluminum caps on the aluminum stems. He suggested removing and reinstalling the caps at least once monthly to keep them from seizing. I figured aluminum caps on aluminum stems wouldn't cause a problem, but I trust his knowledge/exeperience base.

I've been doing this since September and have had no issues, but now can't help but wonder if it will shorten the battery life for the TPMS?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts