Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought a 12 challenger. Love the car but has a few things that I just have concerns with. No. One is that hemi tick. It has done it since I got it. It had 25000 on it when I got it now 30000. I don't like the tick because I do like to get on the throttle from time to time. Also I don't like the high rev. When I am playing around reving the engine a bit it seems to take a while to come back down to idle. Any ideas would be greatful. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
6,032 Posts
There isn’t much that can be done about the tick other than listening for it to get louder or more pronounced at any point. That can be a harbinger of bad things to come (but they can come with no change in the tick or even without any tick at all, so grain of salt this one).

If you are willing to try different brands/kinds of engine oil at each oil change, you might be surprised at how much you can mitigate that tick with the “right” oil. I have personally had good results with Mobil 1 HM and Valvoline Maxlife, others have had success with other brands/kinds.

As for the RPM thing, I don’t have much i can offer. If it were any of my business I would question the need/desire to rev the engine when in Park/Neutral. But it’s none of my business, so I’ll keep my questions to myself.

The behavior of holding an RPM longer than normal when in Park or Neutral may be something that’s stored or configured in the TCM. If it is, resetting the transmission’s driving adaptives (which are stored in the TCM) could change that behavior. That is truly a guess though, I have no evidence to back it up as fact.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've tried both Redline and Shaeffer's. Both helped quiet down the tick in both my 18' R/T and 19' Scat Pack, but the Redline made a lot more difference. With the R/T, I tried both Redline 5w20 and 5w30. The 5w30 really helped more, and seemed to make the cylinder de-activation smoother, but the manual calls for 5w20. I only tried the 30 weight because I read on Bob the Oil guy site that people have had good results, and my testing bore that out, at least for me.

I'm not saying try the 5w30. That risk would be on your shoulders. I'm just saying it worked for me. Mile may and probably will, vary. The Redline 5w20 is good stuff, though.

·
Super Moderator
13,847 Posts
I have used Mobil 1 in my 2009 SRT with no ticking sound, since day one. I think that the 0-40W formula helps.

·
Registered
2010 Challenger R/T
1 Posts
I'm sure you have but, have you checked the oil level? I've seen a few ticks happen just because the engine was a touch short of oil by maybe 1/4 of a qrt if that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My car is at almost 30000. I did put 5w30 last oil change but it didn't do anything. Basically was wondering if anyone else has the same problem. I do believe that it is the lifters, but I don't want to tear it apart if anyone else has also replaced them and got no results. I would take it to the dealer and have them do it because I do have the warranty, but I would be very unhappy if I got my car back and it was scratched or something. Plus I like to do all my own work if the parts are inexpensive.

·
Super Moderator
15,339 Posts
there's a service bulletin that addressed the rocker shaft bolt retainers could have bent tabs - this precluded the shaft seat fully on the pedestal.

the oiling system has a passage in one of the bosses that feeds the rocker shaft which in turn feeds the rocker arms > pushrods > lifters.

the shaft not seating properly can contribute to oil pressure / supply bleed off and this can cause lifter tick.

so its a DIY to remove the rocker covers and the rocker shafts and inspect those tabs on the underside. Either bend the tabs so they're alongside the bolt or they're trimmed off.

PS: the passenger side rocker cover is tight clearance with the wire harness in that back corner. I have uplugged the connectors from the PCM and unbolted the large ground wire to gain clearance.

getting the rocker cover on that side w/o bumping the gasket (and getting a leak) is critical. Taking those wire harnesses out of the way will make the job easier

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,507 Posts
My 2015 RT manual had considerable valve train noise at only ~13,000 miles. Sounded like a big industrial sewing machine during decel through a tunnel or if rpm was held at around ~1500 to 2500rpm. I swapped out the factory pushrods with aftermarket ones and no more noise. Then again the noise wasn't the hemi tick like folks describe where the tick happens during start-up but then goes away.

BTW 2012 also had a timing chain/guide recall.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,507 Posts
there's a service bulletin that addressed the rocker shaft bolt retainers could have bent tabs - this precluded the shaft seat fully on the pedestal.

the oiling system has a passage in one of the bosses that feeds the rocker shaft which in turn feeds the rocker arms > pushrods > lifters.

the shaft not seating properly can contribute to oil pressure / supply bleed off and this can cause lifter tick.

so its a DIY to remove the rocker covers and the rocker shafts and inspect those tabs on the underside. Either bend the tabs so they're alongside the bolt or they're trimmed off.

PS: the passenger side rocker cover is tight clearance with the wire harness in that back corner. I have uplugged the connectors from the PCM and unbolted the large ground wire to gain clearance.

getting the rocker cover on that side w/o bumping the gasket (and getting a leak) is critical. Taking those wire harnesses out of the way will make the job easier
Are you referring to this star case?

·
Super Moderator
15,339 Posts
Are you referring to this star case?
that's the one - if someone can get the original pdf file, it would be easier to share

I did my cam swap in Sept 2013 on the '09 R/T I had then (no lifter tick ever) - and I inspected those retainers and mine didn't have the issue.

As I described how the oiling system functions - have an incidental oil bleed off in the upper engine could very well contribute to lifter tick, especially at low rpm / idle and contribute to lifter wear, which would exacerbate the noisy lifter issue over time.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,792 Posts

A Guy

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,507 Posts
Just noticed the star case document has a different rocker shaft bolt torque spec then my 2015 FSM.

Star #1309000013

2015 Challenger FSM

·
Super Moderator
15,339 Posts
it may have been revised by 2015 - it wouldn't be all that high as its threading into an aluminum casting

·
Registered
1 Posts
Recently bought a 12 challenger. Love the car but has a few things that I just have concerns with. No. One is that hemi tick. It has done it since I got it. It had 25000 on it when I got it now 30000. I don't like the tick because I do like to get on the throttle from time to time. Also I don't like the high rev. When I am playing around reving the engine a bit it seems to take a while to come back down to idle. Any ideas would be greatful. Thanks.
Sometimes the hemi tick is the exhaust manifold gaskets leaking , my 2011 ram had that tick
and that is what it was exhaust manifold stud broke and it was leaking , it was under warranty
the local dodge dealer fixed it no charge, there's a ( service bulletin ) on it so you maybe able to get it fixed for free, its a typical issue with the 5.7 after it was fixed i had no tick ,
if i where you i would go to the dealer and get it checked first , mention that there is a service bulletin for the broken stud issue they may still cover it even though the car is out of the 3/36 warranty , good luck

·
Super Moderator
13,847 Posts
I have used Mobil 1 0-40W full synthetic oil in my 2009 SRT, with the 6.1 engine, and never had a tick.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,507 Posts
Wasn't there a TSB or Star case (I think @Hal H might have mentioned it in a different thread which I can't seem to either find or never existed) where FCA recommended changing the oil weight from 5w20 to 0w40 on 5.7 (maybe just the manual trans models) to reduce valvetrain noise?

I guess valve/lifter tick was and is still an issue.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts