Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys and Gals, I had a most unfortunate incident befall me this last summer and it's taken me this long to getting around to sharing it. This is for several good reasons, namely - I had to come to grips with this mentally. Also, I had to have closure.

On July 1st, a group of drunks used my brand new Challenger for target practice, scoring several direct hits with full bottles of beer, lobbed off the balcony of the apartment above mine.

In fact, it was one of these drunken party-goers that pounded on my door at 4am to tell me that some mysterious stranger threw 'a' bottle at my car. Strangely, given where I live, I fully expected something like this eventually.

Here is a before picture, showing where it is normally parked.

Attachments

·
Registered
348 Posts
Nova Scotia? I thought people were tame up there? Lots of good people I met when I went there in my 20's.
Bummer.... hope you move soon.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The grand tally: One bottle off of the hood (denting it), into the windshield (destroying that), another bottle off the roof (several dents), same bottle fragments into the rear spoiler (cutting a notch into it), one off the front bumper (chipping the paint off), another smashed besides the passenger door (denting the lower door skin).

And beer all over the car. The truck next to the Challenger (also mine) was covered with broken glass and beer.

Yes, it was bloody awful to see. But, for me the worst part was knowing it was members of my own Naval Forces responsible for this act of wanton destruction. Young guys that were obviously jealous of this middle-aged guy and his new car.

Attachments

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So, of course I called the cops. The Military Police showed up, took statements (after waking the drunks up), collected evidence, and that was that. No charges were laid. The perps lied to the Cops and said that a mysterious stranger ran through the yard at 4am, picked up an empty bottle that was on the ground, and -while running - hit the windshield with the bottle, then kept on going. Sounds far fetched? You bet!
Take a look at the evidence: the caps are still on the bottles! And look at the beer all over the Challenger!

I was shocked that the MP's didn't investigate further. Needless to say, my faith in the judicial system is grossly deteriorated.

Attachments

·
Banned
197 Posts
I'm sorry. Some people are such jerks (not the word I'd really like to use). That hurts just reading about it. :(

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
As it was a long holiday weekend, my insurance agent couldn't be contacted until the next Tuesday. I took the whole day Saturday to clean the Challenger, minimalizing the psycological effects of the damage!

I had to drive to work with the broken windshield on Tuesday. I got there at 7:05 and found some guy with his motorcycle parking in my normal "far off and at a slant" position in the parking lot. As he got off the bike, I asked him if he'd be so kind as to let me park in my normal spot. He looked at my car, saw the broken windshield and commented to the effect of "what's the point, your car looks beat up already" then he told me to go F*&$%K myself. Nice. Blood pressure - rising.
So I parked in another, lesser, parking spot at the end of a row, and all the way over to the edge, to give me as much space as possible from the next car to arrive.
After work, I came out to find a Chrysler LHS not only beside my car, but 1 foot over MY line....and a big dent on the bodyline of my quarterpanel!!
Obviously, he swung his door right into my car, after parking his car WAY over the line, thereby crowding himself.
Long story short, I got his name and he still owes me the money for a dent removal. Another fine member of my Canadian Military. Argh!

This picture shows my normal parking spot! Ideal!

Attachments

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
After all of that, I got the car appraised and the damage was in excess of $4000. There was debate as to whether or not the hood could be fixed, or replaced. As it's aluminum, it's not as easy to remove a dent (apparently). Off it went to the bodyshop, which co-incidentally was at the dealership where I bought it.

As a former bodyman, I was interested to see how they'd approach the repairs. A stud welder was used to remove the roof dents (as expected), but the headliner wasn't dropped to do the work (unexpected).

The windshield was replaced, and I was surprised to see that the new glass incorporates a colored sun-band across the top, just like the Challengers of the 1970's!

Attachments

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The plan for the passenger door was to strip off the stripes, do the dent repair, then paint the door entirely. Since the damage was down low, I suggested they do a paint and clearcoat blend below the bodyline...which they did, which saved the stripe.
The front bumper cover was removed, sanded and blended off the car.
The rear spoiler was spot repaired.
The hood was the real problem. They tried to fix it, and I suppose they did a reasonable job, but not only was it loaded with waves afterwards, they managed to put a crown dent in it after closing the hood on a tool!
Add to that, there was considerable dust in the clearcoat...you can see a big speck in the picture of the hood scoop.
Needless to say, that wouldn't do!

So they ordered a new hood...! $1200+ more.

Attachments

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
As they didn't have a spare hood in stock, it was back ordered by the Dealership's parts department, and I got the Challenger back. It was finished for the while.
As it was, it took a month for the hood to arrive, and I dropped the car back off at the end of August.

The hood was changed, and I have to say: the bodyshop did a great job! The paint not only matches, it actually looks deeper and glossier than the original paint. And of course, I had them cut and buff the clearcoat, which took care of all the nubs of dirt, which I was starting to obsess on!

In a strange way, I'm almost glad this vandalism happened.
Why?
Well, it showed me that if something nasty happens to my Challenger, it can (within reason) be repaired. So that's a good lesson to learn.
The downside...well, I got shat on by several different people, which is never a pleasant experience.

My Challenger is back to itself again, and I'm glad of it!

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
I'm at a loss for words. I hope your insurance covered most of the reepairs.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Well, as we say in the States, "Payback is a _ _ _ _ _"!

·
Registered
411 Posts
First I would set up a continuously recording infrared camera to view your car. This would capture anything that happens to it. I know here in the US if you have a problem with the Navy guys here you can go to their command and let them handle it not the military police. Directly to the C.O. Usually works quite well here.

And of course I am sure the same mystery person that did the damage to your car might just visit again sometime only this time their cars would be the ones destroyed.

Honestly if anyone ever damages my car they might as well move that night. Bad things will happen to them.

·
Registered
954 Posts
i am very sorry to hear about that incident, lowlifes like that eventually get it back but still,whats wrong with peoples minds to find entertainment in something like that?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Wow this thread just really got my blood boiling, glad you got it back together and it looks great!!

I think a few of us need to take a ride up there and whoop some serious ass, this is just uncalled for!!!

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
It's only a thing. It's only a thing. It's only a thing. *Attempting to breathe deeply*

It is good that you did not flip out on them. It is good your car can be fixed to your satisfaction and I hope no one does that to your car again. I don't understand how people could damage your car on purpose.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts