Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I went to Joshua Tree today and went on a slightly rocky road. I went to check my car for rock chips because I still haven't completed my clear bra on the door. Anyways when I looked at it I noticed scratches on the plastic right below my driver side door. It looks sort of like 15 or 1CL or something. I don't know if it's gang related or not in Los angeles, more specifically korean town. My guess is that it was not caused by any rocks. I have doubts it's a hater, or maybe a vandal. Why would they do it in such a unnoticeable spot. why not key the paint? also the car was parked in korean town on the street. the driver's side was facing the street. so it would be kinda public to do it. So yesterday I got pulled over and the police officer searched my car.

My guess is that it could have been something like a zipper or something he had on him that scratched the car. I had similar damage to the inside of my car door from my own zippers when I was trying to reach to grab something on a tight parking space.

Someone did it on purpose, someone from korea town los angeles. i don't know if it's gang infested or not.

Anyways what do you guys think it's from? and is cheap to fix? Would you fix it?

And if I don't fix it. Have any of you guys wrapped plastic with anything? If so kind?

Attachments

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The photo of the damage is circled in yellow. The other photo is scratches that I caused from my pant zipper trying to grab something.

If it was an accident from the police officer, that's a bummer. I don't know I can really do much. If it is actually vandalism that's kinda disheartening. I don't know if i'll be confident to park in the streets. I might have to valet all the time in koreatown.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,976 Posts
So I went to Joshua Tree today and went on a slightly rocky road.
I'd say there is your answer. How you get to Korean gangsters is beyond me...

A Guy

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd say there is your answer. How you get to Korean gangsters is beyond me...

A Guy
It has more appearance of scratch marks and less flying rocks. It was only found in that small area. I would imagine it would be more dispersed in damages. It has signs of abrasion from something sharp and not as blunt like a rock. I would imagine maybe chips and small dents if it was big enough. the road was wide enough I didn't rub up against anything I just had to drive through a road with pebbles and small rocks.

I've actually had my previous car tagged or vandalized on once. I was in East Los Angeles and the hood of my car was scratched into and it had like 3 letters or something. That's why I considered it could be gang related.

·
Registered
263 Posts
So I went to Joshua Tree today and went on a slightly rocky road. I went to check my car for rock chips because I still haven't completed my clear bra on the door. Anyways when I looked at it I noticed scratches on the plastic right below my driver side door. It looks sort of like 15 or 1CL or something. I don't know if it's gang related or not in Los angeles, more specifically korean town. My guess is that it was not caused by any rocks. I have doubts it's a hater, or maybe a vandal. Why would they do it in such a unnoticeable spot. why not key the paint? also the car was parked in korean town on the street. the driver's side was facing the street. so it would be kinda public to do it. So yesterday I got pulled over and the police officer searched my car.

My guess is that it could have been something like a zipper or something he had on him that scratched the car. I had similar damage to the inside of my car door from my own zippers when I was trying to reach to grab something on a tight parking space.

Someone did it on purpose, someone from korea town los angeles. i don't know if it's gang infested or not.

Anyways what do you guys think it's from? and is cheap to fix? Would you fix it?

And if I don't fix it. Have any of you guys wrapped plastic with anything? If so kind?
That's a hard spot to scratch with a zipper unless you're on your back reaching under your car which leads me to ask....what were you doing on your back reaching under your car? Secondly, curious why the police pulled you over and searched you? Anyway back to your scratch, if it bothers you that much get some black paint and touch it up or back to black plastic wipe.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's a hard spot to scratch with a zipper unless you're on your back reaching under your car which leads me to ask....what were you doing on your back reaching under your car? Secondly, curious why the police pulled you over and searched you? Anyway back to your scratch, if it bothers you that much get some black paint and touch it up or back to black plastic wipe.
there was a speed trap, my friends told me the street was notorious for it. i drank earlier but i was fit to drive, i was pretty much home. i'm not sure why they searched me, they asked if i had anything illegal on me, i said no and said agreed to let them search my car. i think he was kneeling or crouching while looking around. i mean police officers carry all kinds of equipment on their bodies so something with a metal edge or something could have possibly scratched it. to me that's the most likely scenario

·
Super Moderator
13,867 Posts
That's a hard spot to scratch with a zipper unless you're on your back reaching under your car.
That was my thought. Also, if someone wanted to vandalize your Challenger, wouldn't they do it in a more obvious place, like the door or hood?

Maybe the culprit is this guy? He hates anything American.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That was my thought. Also, if someone wanted to vandalize your Challenger, wouldn't they do it in a more obvious place, like the door or hood?

Maybe the culprit is this guy?

haha might be! if it was the police i feel i can't do much about it. i don't have proof. they didn't give me a ticket and let me go i don't want to piss off my local police officers with billing them or going through insurance on them or something. kind of annoying, i try to avoid parking anywhere remotely close to cars and or i find the perfect parking spots with lots of space to avoid dings, but this happens.

anyways what would you guys do to fix it? would you guys just leave it alone? wrap it? if i wrap it i feel i would need to wrap all the other plastic parts like the front splitter? i also have rock guards that are plastic.
touch up paint?

·
Registered
263 Posts
haha might be! if it was the police i feel i can't do much about it. i don't have proof. they didn't give me a ticket and let me go i don't want to piss off my local police officers with billing them or going through insurance on them or something. kind of annoying, i try to avoid parking anywhere remotely close to cars and or i find the perfect parking spots with lots of space to avoid dings, but this happens.

anyways what would you guys do to fix it? would you guys just leave it alone? wrap it? if i wrap it i feel i would need to wrap all the other plastic parts like the front splitter? i also have rock guards that are plastic.
touch up paint?
I thought the scratch was on the rocker cover. If it was my car because the scratch is on plastic I would take any edges off to make it as smooth as possible and then use some touch up paint. It's in a spot where you won't even notice it.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought the scratch was on the rocker cover. If it was my car because the scratch is on plastic I would take any edges off to make it as smooth as possible and then use some touch up paint. It's in a spot where you won't even notice it.
it's on the side plastic moulding. it's the plastic that's below the door on the same side. do they make touchup for plastic? i was a little ocd about keeping it perfect, but too much has already happened. not cost effective to get a plastic part installed unless it's reasonably priced

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker and 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,882 Posts
That looks like damage from a tire gator or a stick of some sort. The best way to fix it is to replace it, fairly easy to do and they cost under $50 to buy. Takes about 10 minutes to remove and 2 mins to put on the new one, I have done this several times.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
I'd say you did something to get on their radar to get your car searched. I used to screw with cops all the time when younger and NEVER got searched.
Maybe you didn't get searched or harassed by the cops is because you were screwing with them. I bet when one police officer gets some on the side they tell their coworkers and they don't bother their fellow officer's side piece.:wink3: Unless when you say you screwed with the cops you don't mean it in sexual way in that case NEVER MIND. By Rose Ann Roseanna Danna.:laugh2:

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
It looks like something that could have been created by a piece of flying metal that had been lying on the road and lifted by the front tire.

Even a flattened aluminum beer can can cause a bit of damage at 70 MPH. Especially on a plastic surface.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That looks like damage from a tire gator or a stick of some sort. The best way to fix it is to replace it, fairly easy to do and they cost under $50 to buy. Takes about 10 minutes to remove and 2 mins to put on the new one, I have done this several times.
where did you buy the part? is it oem? do u have a link or part number?

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker and 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,882 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,362 Posts
NEVER give permission to search your car, there is no need for it if you’ve done nothing or have nothing illegal in it.
My son had an officer say I smell marijuana, he said no you don’t and I want your superior officer here now, the cop let him go.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Did he have boots on? Looks like it might be from the open metal eyelets (the ones you just hook the laces on instead of through) on the top of a pair of boots.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts