Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Great article, always look forward to them.

I actually like the newer Vanishing Point better :)

·
Premium Member
2,611 Posts
Many people didn't like the 1997 version, but at least it gave Kowalski a reason for trying to do something crazy.

I have both version on DVD. :nerd:

Reactions: RobF

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
569 Posts
Thank God that Hollywood has not attempted a remake of Bullit. That would truly be a shame.

A little known fact: In the original Vanishing Point a white Camaro was used in the final crash scene because of the scarcity (back then) of newly introduced Dodge Challengers.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Some movies shouldn't have remakes. Such as Smokey and the Bandit, there will never be another Burt, Jerry and Jackie or as said earlier Bullitt. The original Vanishing Point is a cult classic. I do like Vigo though.

Mopar or No Car, Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
How about Crazy Mary, Dirty Larry? Which is another movie that should never be remade.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Reactions: 13OrngChallRT

·
Registered
98 Posts
Seeing "Vanishing Point" in the early '70's put the spark in the 17 year old me to get a Challenger which I did in '76 ('73 / 340 Magnum / 4 speed pistol grip). I was not even aware that they had produced a remake until a few months ago when I did a Youtube search on "Vanishing Point' I pulled out the original on VHS and watched it again. A few weeks later and I'm back in a Challenger.

While I haven't watched the full movie remake, the clips I watched were horrible.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have done everything from Two Lane Blacktop, Gumball Rally, Cannonball Runs, White Lightening, Eat my Dust, American Graffiti, Gone in Sixty Seconds(both of them, which I did like the remake better), Christine, Smokey and the Bandit, Bullitt, The 7ups( one of best crashes), The Fast and Furious franchise, even race movies like Driven, or Days of Thunder, can't forget Bad Boys even those little known movies like The Van, The Wraith, justname a few. Some were great and some not so great. If they showed a car chase in their trailer I usually saw it in a theater. Back in the day we would go to the drive in there we could see 2 even 3 movies back to back. It's too bad some of those old movies couldn't be rereleased so we could see them back on the big screen.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Thank God that Hollywood has not attempted a remake of Bullit. That would truly be a shame.

A little known fact: In the original Vanishing Point a white Camaro was used in the final crash scene because of the scarcity (back then) of newly introduced Dodge Challengers.
I have to scoff at people that put BULLITT on a pedestal. The entire movie was a BORE HOLE except for the chase scene. Even then, the editing of the scene was chock full of errors. Maybe in 1968 the standards were lower? I do like that the scenes are not as rapidly edited like todays movies. Todays action films are edited with so many cuts, it makes it difficult to follow.
VP 1997 would have been better if the lead actor didn't MUMBLE so damn much! Viggo is known for being soft spoken but Holy Crap...You NEED close captioning to get what this guy is saying in this movie.

VP 1971 did have a few unanswered questions and some errorsbut I just liked it more. I first saw it in the late 70s as a young kid. Back then, there was a trend for Men to have an introverted persona, one where they didn't express themselves through words, they made statements with their actions. Kowalski wasn't much more vocal than "Frank Bullit" but I identified with Kowalski more.
I like a road trip type movie, I like driving distances too, maybe that led to me being more interested in Vanishing Point.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have done everything from Two Lane Blacktop, Gumball Rally, Cannonball Runs, White Lightening, Eat my Dust, American Graffiti, Gone in Sixty Seconds(both of them, which I did like the remake better), Christine, Smokey and the Bandit, Bullitt, The 7ups( one of best crashes), The Fast and Furious franchise, even race movies like Driven, or Days of Thunder, can't forget Bad Boys even those little known movies like The Van, The Wraith, justname a few. Some were great and some not so great. If they showed a car chase in their trailer I usually saw it in a theater. Back in the day we would go to the drive in there we could see 2 even 3 movies back to back. It's too bad some of those old movies couldn't be rereleased so we could see them back on the big screen.

Here's a link to all of my movie reviews. Many of the films you mentioned are in there!

https://www.streetmusclemag.com/author/robfinkelman/

;)

- Rob

Reactions: 13OrngChallRT

·
Registered
77 Posts
Ah man how could I miss Hollywood Knights, one of the worst edited films. I so enjoyed it though such an array of cars. Reminds me of cruising back in the high school days.

·
Registered
516 Posts
The Gone in 60 seconds remake in 2000 was fun in terms of the actors but the stunts were WEAK. That terrible CGI of the Mustang jump in the final chase segment was an embarrassment.
The 1974 movie had more realism but the acting.....Holy smokes it was terrible. Halicki actually wasn't bad, it was the business partner he had that narc'd him out later in the movie.
American Graffitti was great. MORE American Graffitti? What a huge letdown!
You guys ever check out YouTube? Car Chase Wonderland has ALL sorts of video clips from every movie listed here and much more.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,703 Posts
Don't forget the chase scenes in The French Connection, and The Blues Brothers ;) To Live and Die in LA was pretty good too. Ronin. The Seven Ups was a great chase. Bullet was #1, but as mentioned, the rest of the move was a snooze. A Guy

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
I think I saw that movie most weekends at the drive in during the 70s. Any excuse to drink! It made an impression.................................The car!

·
Registered
426 Posts
None of the second one works unless you install the plug wires in the right terminals

1 - 20 of 52 Posts