Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I just binged the original (1971) and the remake (1997). My question is: one-on-one, how would my soon-to-be-delivered '21 RT 6spd do against Kowalski's '71?..........Before he crashed it, obviously!!

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
776 Posts
The Challenger in the movie was a 375 hp 440 four speed car, but in reality your R/T would be faster on top end and depending on gearing, quicker in the quarter mile. This assumes equal driver skill. I never saw the remake from '97, but I know that it used a 426 Hemi powered R/T. I believe that the same assessment would hold true there as well. By the way, I saw the original Vanishing Point at the drive in.

·
Premium Member
10,541 Posts
The Challenger in the movie was a 375 hp 440 four speed car, but in reality your R/T would be faster on top end and depending on gearing, quicker in the quarter mile. This assumes equal driver skill. I never saw the remake from '97, but I know that it used a 426 Hemi powered R/T. I believe that the same assessment would hold true there as well. By the way, I saw the original Vanishing Point at the drive in.
The remake was so disappointing. Be happy with the memories you have now.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I am. That movie was a good influence on me, much better than Smokie and the Bandit was on my brother. It took almost thirty years to get him "cured" of whatever sickness caused him to buy Pontiacs. Now he buys only Mopars.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Wasn't the motor in the '71 movie supercharged as well?
And if you don't have a Taco 100 minibike to throw on your
top, your in trouble!!

·
Registered
776 Posts
I haven't seen the movie in many years, but I read an article about it in sometime back in the "80s. There were five Challengers used. Four had the 440 Magnum engine and the fifth was a 383 with automatic transmission. The cars were to be returned to Dodge after filming was finished. Remember that back then, a supercharger was based on the old GMC blower. They couldn't fit under the hood.

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
I have a DVD of the original version which has the movie twice. The second showing has a running audio commentary by the director who explains a lot about how they did things and why. For example they were given four cars which I believe were green but repainted them white because the car showed up better in those long shots driving across open desert. Also there were a few scenes completely cut out. Even though Charlotte Rampling is listed as a co-star, she is not in the movie at all. Her scene was completely cut out. She played the Angel of Death. The director also appears, a la Hitchcock, in a crowd scene outside the garage when newsmen are interviewing the garage owner and friend of Kowalski. Tons of interesting facts if you're a Vanishing Point fanatic and that DVD is still available.

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
I haven't seen the movie in many years, but I read an article about it in sometime back in the "80s. There were five Challengers used. Four had the 440 Magnum engine and the fifth was a 383 with automatic transmission. The cars were to be returned to Dodge after filming was finished. Remember that back then, a supercharger was based on the old GMC blower. They couldn't fit under the hood.
The cars they used were all completely stock and were returned in sad shape to Chrysler. Chrysler crushed all of them.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
The cars they used were all completely stock and were returned in sad shape to Chrysler. Chrysler crushed all of them.
Because they were connected to drugs in the movie.

" Director Richard C. Sarafian has said the cars were so badly abused that near the end of filming they had to take parts off the other cars to keep the last one running to finish filming. After filming, they were returned to Chrysler and said to have been crushed due to Chrysler not being happy about the use of drugs in the movie. "

·
Premium Member
2020 Scat Pack Plus wide body, A8
260 Posts
Here’s my VP replica, sold it in 2004. Restored in St, Louis, now owned in upstate New York.

Purchased this 2020 Wide Body Scat this past August. Only 400 miles at the moment.

Not a VP car, but the suggestion is there... :)

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I have a DVD of the original version which has the movie twice. The second showing has a running audio commentary by the director who explains a lot about how they did things and why. For example they were given four cars which I believe were green but repainted them white because the car showed up better in those long shots driving across open desert. Also there were a few scenes completely cut out. Even though Charlotte Rampling is listed as a co-star, she is not in the movie at all. Her scene was completely cut out. She played the Angel of Death. The director also appears, a la Hitchcock, in a crowd scene outside the garage when newsmen are interviewing the garage owner and friend of Kowalski. Tons of interesting facts if you're a Vanishing Point fanatic and that DVD is still available.
I have a copy that has the US theatrical release on one side and the UK release on the opposite side. The UK version is a bit longer and has Kowalski, hallucinating, picking up a girl hitch-hiker.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts