Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 RT 5.7
I took my car into the dealership Friday to get the passenger airbag inflator and the CERGUB41AA CANISTER- VAPOR fixed.
I'm soooo pissed I can hardly see straight.
What ever they did Changed the way my car sounds.
I have flow masters and I love how my car rumbles going down the road. Now it sounds like a kia.
Please tell me what they did.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
10,010 Posts
The exhaust may have been unbolted and moved to get to the charcoal canister, that's about the only way I can think of that the exhaust would even be touched in that type of service. But even if they did that, and they didn't get it back in place properly, I would expect the exhaust tone to be much louder and/or harsher than before. The fact that yours is now quieter now is truly baffling to me.

Whenever you figure out what caused this, be sure to update this thread. My curiosity is definitely piqued on this one.

·
Registered
2018 Billet SXT Plus
100 Posts
The canister is located up under the right rear fender liner, and is there to absorb the necessary amount of gasoline vapors during vehicle refueling. There is no reason to unbolt your exhaust, etc, so it doesnt make sense as to why your car now has a different exhaust tone to it.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
925 Posts
The Evaporative Canister has nothing to do with your exhaust system ... just your fueling system. As @UPNATM 18 said, there would be no reason to unbolt your exhaust.

I suggest that you talk to the dealer and ask the mechanic if he did anything else.

The only thing I can think of is that perhaps you had a loose connection in your exhaust system ... which was giving you more sound ... and he simply tightened everything up as long as he was under the car .... which has taken some sound away.

·
Premium Member
10,010 Posts
If I didn’t know any better, I’d think I was being persecuted for throwing out a slim-to-none possibility to try to explain something which normally wouldn’t be possible...

Come on people, have you never seen the X-Files?!?

And while I agree that unbolting or removing the exhaust would be an inefficient way to approach the charcoal canister replacement on an LX, I take offense at the assumption that every dealership tech knows what he’s doing when it comes to fixing our cars.

For every master mechanic Dodge employs to get you in and out the door in under 3 hours for your recall job, I can show you a work order where some dullard working in the next bay racked up $750 firing the parts cannon at my Challenger in a desperate Hail Mary to try to resolve a $25 terminal connection problem.

Y’all say the exhaust should not be touched for a vapor canister recall? I say, “hey, why is that tech pulling my windshield out to diagnose a squeaky brake??

Reactions: Wizard of Iz

·
Registered
239 Posts
Maybe they updated PCM software and changed somethings in the stock tune?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,086 Posts
^^^ This, somehow. If a custom tune, it would be gone, if not and just adaptives reset, it may come back once it learns again

A Guy

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
857 Posts
Somehow this thread title has little to do with the cannister recall.

·
Banned
173 Posts
The only time I've experienced something like this, is when Ford replaced the cat on my Merkur XR4Ti without my authorization. Apparently, there was a recall on the stock cat. Not only did the revised cat kill the exhaust note, it also created an overheating issue.

·
Premium Member
10,010 Posts
<sarcasm>
well at least the OP updated the thread with what was going on once he found out.
</sarcasm>

·
Registered
33 Posts
<sarcasm>
well at least the OP updated the thread with what was going on once he found out.
</sarcasm>
If I didn’t know any better, I’d think I was being persecuted for throwing out a slim-to-none possibility to try to explain something which normally wouldn’t be possible...

Come on people, have you never seen the X-Files?!?

And while I agree that unbolting or removing the exhaust would be an inefficient way to approach the charcoal canister replacement on an LX, I take offense at the assumption that every dealership tech knows what he’s doing when it comes to fixing our cars.

For every master mechanic Dodge employs to get you in and out the door in under 3 hours for your recall job, I can show you a work order where some dullard working in the next bay racked up $750 firing the parts cannon at my Challenger in a desperate Hail Mary to try to resolve a $25 terminal connection problem.

Y’all say the exhaust should not be touched for a vapor canister recall? I say, “hey, why is that tech pulling my windshield out to diagnose a squeaky brake??
I am waiting to hear how the tech didnt do anything wrong...

·
Premium Member
5,115 Posts
Do these cars have active valves? Not opening? Cough, cough.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.