Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, brand new here and looking to get some feedback from you who have upgrades on your challangers. I have a 2018 SXT. I'm looking to get the following upgrades; cat back exhaust (magnaflow sounded nice) hp tuner, cold air intake, large diameter throttle bottle, high flow catalitic converter. If anyone has good brands they bought and like I would love to know about them so I can research them. Or if you have any other upgrades you've made I would like to hear about those thanks!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hello everyone, brand new here and looking to get some feedback from you who have upgrades on your challangers. I have a 2018 SXT. I'm looking to get the following upgrades; cat back exhaust (magnaflow sounded nice) hp tuner, cold air intake, large diameter throttle bottle, high flow catalitic converter. If anyone has good brands they bought and like I would love to know about them so I can research them. Or if you have any other upgrades you've made I would like to hear about those thanks!
Welcome! And congrats on the new car!

Tons of stuff in the upgrade thread, and some guys it’s some straight-up murdered out SXTs should be along shortly with some help on those topics.
I’m the dude that always stresses tires- as you were asking about other stuff, I’ll lay off doing anything but mentioning it.

Either way, I hope you have good weather and every excuse to get some time behind the wheel!

Cheers,

Chuck

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,021 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk ryanmc5.

Cat back yes, Solo, Magnaflow, Flowmaster, Borla...you'll really need to do some reading, listen to all the exhaust videos you can. be aware, they really don't do the sound justice. And they don't usually tell you if you'll have drone in the cabin.

HP Tuner. You'd need an unlocked PCM. So far none for the 2018 besides Hellcat and Demon

Cold air intake, mostly for bling and some sound. But many of us get them anyway ;)

Larger Throttle body generally won't net you much change. It wouldn't be high on my list of mods

High flow cats. None direct fit for 2015 and up 3.6 as far as I am aware. I guess you could always get a universal fit and have a muffler shop cobble them on

I'm not saying the combination of parts you list might not net you 15-25 HP, but will be pricey. All together would require a tune and as of yet, not possible on the 2018.

I'm an appearance guy myself. Much rather spend my money that way then chase a few extra hard earned HP. Just MHO

A Guy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome! And congrats on the new car!

Tons of stuff in the upgrade thread, and some guys it’s some straight-up murdered out SXTs should be along shortly with some help on those topics.
I’m the dude that always stresses tires- as you were asking about other stuff, I’ll lay off doing anything but mentioning it.

Either way, I hope you have good weather and every excuse to get some time behind the wheel!

Cheers,

Chuck
I will check out that section thanks! I have the sportstek package so it came with the 20 inch high performance wheels, so I am happy with those for now. But I might upgrade them in the next year or so.

And thank you I hope the same for you!

-Ryan

Welcome to Challengertalk ryanmc5.

Cat back yes, Solo, Magnaflow, Flowmaster, Borla...you'll really need to do some reading, listen to all the exhaust videos you can. be aware, they really don't do the sound justice. And they don't usually tell you if you'll have drone in the cabin.

HP Tuner. You'd need an unlocked PCM. So far none for the 2018 besides Hellcat and Demon

Cold air intake, mostly for bling and some sound. But many of us get them anyway ;)

Larger Throttle body generally won't net you much change. It wouldn't be high on my list of mods

High flow cats. None direct fit for 2015 and up 3.6 as far as I am aware. I guess you could always get a universal fit and have a muffler shop cobble them on

I'm not saying the combination of parts you list might not net you 15-25 HP, but will be pricey. All together would require a tune and as of yet, not possible on the 2018.

I'm an appearance guy myself. Much rather spend my money that way then chase a few extra hard earned HP. Just MHO

A Guy
Hmm it's a good thing I came here before I ordered things haha. I guess I'll save up and get the cat back and work on the exterior for now!

Thanks,

-Ryan

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
6,180 Posts
I’m going to take a stab in the dark and assume you are looking to increase the car’s performance based on that list of mods. If so, you need to make sure your expectations of the results are realistic, because those mods are going to set you back a sizable amount of money without increasing the car’s performance a significant amount*.

That might sound like a bummer, but look at it this way: the car is already so finely tuned from the factory, it is basically giving you every bit of performance it possibly can, and you don’t have to do anything extra to “unlock” it or reclaim it.

That’s not to say you cannot or should not consider some mods for it. You can certainly improve the audio profile of the car, both at low RPM and at WOT by doing a few mods, and a couple of those mods are already on your list. The (non-catalyst) exhaust upgrade and an aftermarket CAI (depending upon design) can work wonders for how the car sounds while driving it around and occasionally going WOT for short stints.

As for the TB and catalyst upgrades, I would strongly advise to leave those off your TO-DO list. There’s no performance to be gained by going with different cats, and any extra air the TB might actually ingest beyond what your current one does wouldn’t make any difference unless your car’s computer knew it was coming ahead of time, which it won’t because of the limitations of the Speed Density/MAP system the engine uses to mix the air and fuel. It has to be told about major changes to its core input variables to be able to put them to use, and adjusting the tune is the only way to do that...which you cannot do without a tuner, etc.

The bottom line is that when it comes to mods for your car, you will be better off to only try those which are meant to affect your car’s sound or looks.

If you stick to those, you will have much more success with feeling like you got something in return for the money you spent on the various mods. And at the end of the day, that’s all we are really looking for, isn’t it?

* - excluding the tuner...running a hotter tune would be a different story, especially one which was also modified specifically for your car. But since that isn’t an option for you yet, it was excluded in the original statement.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts