Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In case you aren't aware, new SRTs come with a year of complimentary Uconnect service which includes monthly Vehicle Health Report emails. My 2018 SRT isn't even two weeks old, and has only 615 miles on it, but the email included a Preventative Maintenance alert:

Battery Replacement Notice
Your vehicle data shows that a Battery Replacement notice is just around the corner.
This courtesy message allows you to predict maintenance and plan your next service appointment around your schedule.

Just curious if this means that my car detected a potentially weak original battery. Shouldn't take long to have it checked out at the dealer for peace of mind, but was wondering if anybody else had anything like this pop up while the car was still so new.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I don't have a SRT but have a 2016 Scat Pack Shaker and have never received a Battery notice! I would take it in to get checked since it's still under warranty.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Mark your UConnect e-mails as Spam so you don't get them any more. Obvious scam to get you to open your wallet. You should take maintenance advice from the people who make money selling you parts and service.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
The battery may be low from sitting on the dealer lot not try charging it up. or it may have a battery that has a bad cell in it. If it is bad Dodge should replace it under warranty with in the first year at least.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mark your UConnect e-mails as Spam so you don't get them any more. Obvious scam to get you to open your wallet. You should take maintenance advice from the people who make money selling you parts and service.
Normally I'd agree about the spam angle, but the premise of the email is that the data collected by the car is what's driving the alert, so if I trust the data that is collected by the car, then I'm obviously following your lead by taking maintenance advice from the people who make money selling me parts and service -- although in this case, they aren't making any money off of me since it's under warranty.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The battery may be low from sitting on the dealer lot not try charging it up. or it may have a battery that has a bad cell in it. If it is bad Dodge should replace it under warranty with in the first year at least.
Exactly what I was thinking, but more so the bad cell than sitting on the lot. When we picked up the car, it had only been on the dealer lot for a week or two, but the battery was dead, so I'd be leaning toward a bad cell. Since we've had it though, it's started just fine every time. I'll bring it for a quick battery test just to be safe.

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
Exactly what I was thinking, but more so the bad cell than sitting on the lot. When we picked up the car, it had only been on the dealer lot for a week or two, but the battery was dead, so I'd be leaning toward a bad cell. Since we've had it though, it's started just fine every time. I'll bring it for a quick battery test just to be safe.
A wise decision on your part. I have a feeling if you let the car sit for a week, the battery will be dead again.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,664 Posts
The VHR is based on sensors in the car. Disconnect something and get a check engine light, and a mail telling you you need service. It has your tire pressure, etc. If the mail was generated, it at least thinks your car detected a low battery. A Guy

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,006 Posts
The VHR is based on sensors in the car. Disconnect something and get a check engine light, and a mail telling you you need service. It has your tire pressure, etc. If the mail was generated, it at least thinks your car detected a low battery. A Guy

Agree.

Some years ago I had a device connected to my Boxster OBD2 port and a device connected to my 996 Turbo OBD2 port. Among other things this device would read battery voltage. There was a low battery alarm threshold set.

One day I got in the car and the engine would not start. It had not manifested any signs of starting issues prior to this. I replaced the battery.

Curious at work I got online and checked the web site to which the device in my car was reporting via a cell modem connection. There were a number of battery voltage alerts. Over some time -- days -- battery voltage had been low enough to trigger an alert. I had failed to enable the feature that forwarded as an email the low battery alerts. Had I enabled this feature I would have been aware of a battery problem long before the situation got to the point the engine would not start.

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
A new battery at 615 miles?

Stranger things have happened, like my 2016 SXT Plus needing a new 8 speed trans with only about 4,000 miles on it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts