Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone familiar with how the vented seats work? The manual says:

Located in the seat cushion and seat back are fans that draw the air from the passenger compartment and move air through fine perforations in the seat cover to help keep the driver and front passenger cooler in higher ambient temperatures. The fans operate at two speeds, HI and LO.

When my car was new and I had AC on, and the vented seats, you felt cold air. Now, I know they are getting something because when I put my hand back there, they are cool, not body temperature. But I don't feel the cold like I used to. Since the manual mentions fans, the assumption is they are both on the same circuit. I assumed actual air from the ventilation/ac was run through them because it would get cold, and it didn't feel that cold in the car. But I guess if fans were blowing on you, you'd get that feeling. Anyway, assuming the fans didn't run any more, is there a dedicated fuse, or relay?

In the rear PDC I find:

43 – 20 Amp Yellow Comfort Seat And Steering Wheel Module (Heated Steering Wheel/RR Heated Seats)

51 – 20 Amp Yellow Front Heated Seats – If Equipped

Nothing about ventilating fans. Maybe just warmer in the car, I don't know. If car is running, and ac/fan is off, and you turn on vented seats, should the fans run? Should you hear them on high? Approximate location?

A Guy

·
Registered
764 Posts
If the car is stopped, and I have the radio off and the fans for the seat on high I can hear them running in my car. And I can also tell when they are off by the sound.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
From my experience at Ford (I have no personal experience with the challenger seats), over time you can get some crush in the cushions that can significantly block off the airflow.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just turned 5000 miles, I'd hope if that were the case, it wouldn't happen that soon ;)

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But...those are Fords >:)

A Guy

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker, 2010 Plum Crazy R/T Classic, 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,936 Posts
I am not sure I understand your question. As to what the ventilated seats do, they're simply a fan that blows the interior, surrounding air inside of your car thru the seat, that's it. It is not a/c air vented to the seat. If the a/c has been on for a bit in your car and the interior is cooler you will feel this cool air running against you with the seat blowers working.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I;d love to find a way to make my seat fans even more powerful. Maybe swap them out for a higher CFM model. I wouldnt mind a little noise coming out of them, since the 6.4 pretty much drowns out anything but the radio.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
I feel the cold more than the heat. When the A/C is on. Never listened for the seat fan, not sure I could hear it. Perhaps.
You know I will try. I am sure my tinitus won' affect that at all! (the bells the bells!)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am not sure I understand your question. As to what the ventilated seats do, they're simply a fan that blows the interior, surrounding air inside of your car thru the seat, that's it. It is not a/c air vented to the seat. If the a/c has been on for a bit in your car and the interior is cooler you will feel this cool air running against you with the seat blowers working.
Actually, I believe these use thermionic cooling to blow slightly cooler air thru the holes in the seat cushions, like Cadillac and Ram both do. And yes, the cushions relax after awhile and restrict the airflow.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
I would love to know how most of the stuff like this works but unfortunately FCA doesn't seem to provide much info.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
410 Posts
Lets take a seat a part. Maybe get some flex tube and route the AC vent that's under the seat to inside the seat.

Reactions: silver scat

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I was always under the impression that the seats PULLS air away from the person. Giving the sensation of a cooling effect. Which technically is the definition of cooling, to take heat away.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
I was always under the impression that the seats PULLS air away from the person. Giving the sensation of a cooling effect. Which technically is the definition of cooling, to take heat away.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
AHHHHH! All new possibility. I do believe though that when the a/c is on the seats are much cooler. So I think that would
mean........yada yada yada. You're cooler. (I don't know!!!) Seem to lean towards gently blow the chilled air.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks all, so I assume that if vented seats are turned on high, I'll hear a fan running. If it's running, it's working, and it's just about the temp in the car. A Guy

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
Thanks all, so I assume that if vented seats are turned on high, I'll hear a fan running. If it's running, it's working, and it's just about the temp in the car. A Guy
Try this out:

*windows up
*igntion ON (don't press brake pedal for you A8 guys)
*engine off
*radio off / muted
*turn seat vent ON (default starts on HI) you should hear the fan
*turn seat vent to LO - it will be pretty much quiet

repeat same for passenger side to verify operation

The vent function simply circulates cabin ambient air (this is not ducted from HVAC system). I use mine with A/C on, A/C off (outside air only), or windows down / no A/C.

Sometimes it might get a bit warm (sitting in traffic) with the heat on, and I may kick on the vented seat to feel more fresh (no damp lower back) for example. Even men can get those flashes of warmer than usual feeling...

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
We now need someone with access to a temp gun to do the experiment. I don't work their anymore!!!!!!!!!! Sorry, just emphatic. Don't want to. Please don't make me...... Or I would. But someone who still does could shoot the seat with the seat cooler on, a/c on and off. Also ambient temp. You know, on your day off.
I will be shocked if it doesn't get remarkably cooler with the a/c on.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Just turned 5000 miles, I'd hope if that were the case, it wouldn't happen that soon ;)

A Guy

Nothing to add other than you only have 5k on your challenger?!?

We got our about the same time last year I believe and mine drown in July with 13k.

I figured with as much as you love yours you'd be driving it more. Heh

1 - 20 of 27 Posts