Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A question to the RT fans out there. I have a 2010 RT classic. So it has function hood scoops which basically place some cooler engine air(not much) under the hood. The question I have is there is a a lot of heat that builds up under the engine cover and those few little slits on one side(not both sides like it should have) Does not do much of anything to vent the heat. Is there an insert for the top section of the engine cover that is a breathable mesh/screen that will vent the heat and at least take advantage of the little cooling air that comes from the hood scoops.
Mike, 2010 white RT classic, CAI, Strut Tower Brace, 6-speed, Carbon engine cover, Hood Struts etc etc.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Hey mikesrtclassic,
it may interest you to know that the various law enforcement agency's that use the Dodge Chaalenger R/T as a patrol vehicle have removed the the R/T's engine heat shield from their vehicles. Why, well because their cars spend a lot of time sitting in park idling so much so that the engine shield often traps huge amounts of unwanted heat under the hood. By removing the shield altogether the engine bay stays much cooler. Now you probably don't have your R/T sitting with the engine running at a standstill as much as they do but I thought it might interest you to know this.
Now the Mopar 10 Challengers with the TA hood scoop have a piece that supposedly redirects incoming air more efficiently throughout the Challenger's engine bay but you'll need to convert your Challenger to the TA hood scoop set up to make use of this set up.
Until then go with a 180 thermostat, CAI, & the SRT8's directional flow scoop inserts, if you haven't done this already. BTW, Mopar parts sells all these as well.
I hope you found all or some of this helpful to you!

·
Super Moderator
14,189 Posts
The hood scoops don't provide any additional horsepower but they do help to prevent a loss of horsepower due to heat soak.

Speedy, one of our forum members, conducted a study to confirm this. He found that the scoops reduce the under hood temperature by about 12 degrees.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
That was sweeeet.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everone for your comments. To Doozle: Interesting about the police cars. I want to incorporate my Carbon Fiber cover because it looks good. So speedies option to install the screen in the center seems like my fix. Although it looks a little tough to do. I need to look at speedys process again to see if I can acomplish those nice clean cuts. But I definately want to vent that heat.
MIke

·
Registered
106 Posts
If your interested in doing like speedy's I have half a aluminum screen for it left over, I would sell cheaper than buying the whole screen.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To Crowman: Thanks for the offer. I discoverd I was able to unscrew the insert on the carbon Fiber cover. That left me some vent spaces to get rid of the heat. In addition to my surprise under the insert I expected just ugly plastic but it had the carbon fiber look also. So it doesen't look too bad. I think I will go with this for now. Again thanks for the offer.
MIke

·
Registered
619 Posts
I just removed mine and hung it in the garage. I hate engine covers like these. I like the fact I can survey the motor and check things out better. Plus, it looks meaner with it off.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
I just removed mine and hung it in the garage. I hate engine covers like these. I like the fact I can survey the motor and check things out better. Plus, it looks meaner with it off.
Agreed! I'm going to end up doing the same. They really do not serve any purpose other than appearance and they hold in heat like crazy.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I have my stock cover on, and I'm wondering how people know that the stock cover does not provide sufficient ventilation.

·
Registered
23 Posts
wondering how people know that the stock cover does not provide sufficient ventilation.

Anything from the factory is "sufficient". I am looking to improve !! Heat is generally bad once an engine is warmed up. I got functional hood scoops and steel half engine covers. If nothing else, it sounds better due to less insulation blocking the sound.

·
Registered
155 Posts
IMHO It looks terrible with it off. Chrysler must have put it on for a reason. Did we not see in another post that it protects the coils and wires from water? First monsoon or engine detailing spray this May and you could be sorry.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I agree spraying water for engine detailing is NOT a great idea, with or without the plastic cover. I did put the half covers on the cover the sensitive area.

Chryslers agenda for building cars is profit, EPA specs, quiet sound, gas mileage, ease of maintanance for owners, and to guarantee you will bring your car to the dealer for every issue. The giant plastic cover is a barrier to keep you away from the engine. They color code yellow for the oil etc., do it your self !!

My agenda is to have have fun with the car, go fast, sound good, look good :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
The point of the cover is to reduce engine noise in the cabin. It also helps prevent dust and dirt from settling on top of the engine.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Let me put it this way, then: has anyone measured an improvement in performance by removing the cover or adding extra ventilation to it?

·
Registered
23 Posts
There is no increase in performance from tinting my windows either. I assure you it looks better, and will protect the interior a little bit in the summer in Florida.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Except that people seem to be modifying their covers for performance reasons, and if it happens to look better, that's a bonus. People are claiming that the stock cover holds in too much heat, which suggests it may be affecting performance; however, noone seems to have documented a measurable performance improvement by adding extra ventilation to the cover. If they could, that would suggest the manufacturer erred by making insufficient ventilation for the stock hood.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts