Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, my first post to this forum. Have read a lot and was glad to be given the opportunity to join. So now my question(s): I just bought a 2015 Challenger RT. I had the opportunity to drive many of the 70-73 Challengers, Cuda's and other Mopars and muscle cars. I really like my Challenger but would like to have it sound more like a 70 440 RT. I know it will never sound exactly the same, but something close would be great. I have read countless articles, and watched dozens of YouTube videos on all sorts of catback systems, Magnaflow, Corsa, Bora, etc. etc. etc. I am totally confused as to which will produce the sound close to what I want. Some of the videos have great audio, others not so much. A lot have to do with someone starting a car and revving it...makes it hard for me to get a good idea of how it sounds. So I guess it boils down to this...if I am looking for something that comes close to a 70 RT 440, not any louder as I don't want to get the neighbors up in arms, what would any of you suggest? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Welcome! Look up Dynomax race bullets. They sound pretty close to that rumble. Also checkout Powersticks. They are very similar. There are vids of these on YouTube as well.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Here's a comparison with an older mustang with summit and Dynomaxx mini race bullet mufflers. You be the judge of that old style rumble.

·
Registered
414 Posts
100 less cubic inches, VVT, let alone MDS, electronic throttle control/timing/fuel curve, catalytic convertors I don't think you'll get the sound your looking for, as in old school thumper Mopar's My last toy, 1969 Charger was .060 over balanced /blue printed 440, 10 to 1 comp, Comp Cam valve train(270duration 470 lift) built for torque street driving. HP stock exhaust manifolds, TTI X=Pipe exhaust with Magna Flow mufflers, full 2 1/2" tailpipes. Had that big block Mopar rasp snap to it. Old school for sure, but not near what these new Hemi's can do and how easy they do it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First of all, thanks for all the answers. After watching many, many YouTube videos, I went with the Powersticks. They have just the sound I have been looking for. They remind me of the cars I drove in high school. The next question I have is this...I added a K&N air filter (the one that replaces the stock version), and then added the Powersticks. Do I need to make any engine adjustments due to the deletion of the stock exhaust? I am not real sure with these new computer controlled engines. If so, what adjustments? Again, great forum, and thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,545 Posts
It seems like everyone is looking for that old school, muscle car tone and OldHP points out these newer engines make it difficult to reproduce. As I said in some post before, my neighbor bought a 72 duster 340 stroked out to 400 and some change. It had THE sound but OMG, the drone was too much to stand as a daily driver. Only challenger I heard come close to the old school sound is this one:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts