1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Did they tweak the exhaust because it sounds pretty damn good. Love it!

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'll pass on the "fright factor" but the car is awesome. It definitely feels more alive and smaller. I get more of the "push you in the back of the seat" feel than I did with my 6.1 although the 6.1 is a beast as well!! You can't be comfort and speed. Why compromise? The 392 offers the best of both worlds.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
The video captured the exhaust sound well. I drove mine this AM and it similar - nice, loud, with a great rumble. Not that loud at idle but it just growls as it winds up.

Great review.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
I test drove the 2011 GT mustang and belongs in the rice burner catagory Small and fast. Dodge challenger are the real deal when it comes to pure power and comfort in a daily driver. Thanks for video. AK907

·
Registered
131 Posts
He Mentioned The Shifter For Manual Transmission...

One critique he had was in regards to the gear shift for the manual transmission for the IE 392. He mentioned it to be like holding on to the tentacle of a squid...

Does anyone who drives a manual 392 experience loose shifting with these Tremec manual transmissions?

I heard that the clutch pedal system is great for engaging the transmission system... but I just don't know about the gear shift itself...

I also heard about some less-experienced owners accidently mis-shifting the car when getting used to manual transmission setup... something I want to try very hard not to do in the future... :p

Thanks,

-Cupnbuckit

·
Registered
389 Posts
I think the guy in the video did a good job of accurately describing the car. Challengers do "soak up the road" from a ride comfort perspective over the competitors - and still puts out the power. The handling abilities were evident too - I drive my 6.1 on twisty back roads daily, lots of tight curves and elevation changes, and no problem negotiating that at speed; no "fear factor" at all - normally wouldn't expect that from such a physically large and heavy car, so it was nice to see the video guy make note of how well the 392 handles. Pretty impressive overall and very accurate depiction of the 392 I thought.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I kind of don't like how the Challenger soaks up the road, that was one of my only complaints. I like when I car transmits the road conditions to the driver, I think it keeps you more in tune with the road.

That being said every other way I love the car! :D

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
One critique he had was in regards to the gear shift for the manual transmission for the IE 392. He mentioned it to be like holding on to the tentacle of a squid...

Does anyone who drives a manual 392 experience loose shifting with these Tremec manual transmissions?

I heard that the clutch pedal system is great for engaging the transmission system... but I just don't know about the gear shift itself...

I also heard about some less-experienced owners accidently mis-shifting the car when getting used to manual transmission setup... something I want to try very hard not to do in the future... :p

Thanks,

-Cupnbuckit
Wouldn't call it "loose"....more like "numb". Totally different from my C5 Vette w/ Tremec. The Vette clutch is more like a clamp or on/off switch...you can take your foot off clutch from a dead stop without touching gas pedal & it goes. In Challenger you will stall out (as I discovered several times)...You gotta get used to it....it's all about feathering in Challenger.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Gear Shift with Vette vs. Challenger

Wouldn't call it "loose"....more like "numb". Totally different from my C5 Vette w/ Tremec. The Vette clutch is more like a clamp or on/off switch...you can take your foot off clutch from a dead stop without touching gas pedal & it goes. In Challenger you will stall out (as I discovered several times)...You gotta get used to it....it's all about feathering in Challenger.
Awesome!:thumbsup: Thanks for the advice!

I'm sure it will take a bit of practice before I start to get the hang of it...

I wish there could be a simulator made for proper shifting in a Challenger with a manual transmission... kinda like Rigs of Rods, but dealing with drive train internals dealing with certain stresses. Nothing like a video game, but more like Microsoft Flight Simluator...

The video review was great! Very nice camera work.:)

-Cupnbuckit

·
Super Moderator
15,588 Posts
Did they tweak the exhaust because it sounds pretty damn good. Love it!
The 392's exhaust has less sharper bends, but the airbox hole was opened up more and there's much more induction sound than before as well.

Another item to keep in mind is the 392 has VCT (6.1's dont') so the cam timing changes with engine load (there's 36* of cam phasing from zero to full on advance).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts