Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Vendor
12,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
You may have heard that Congress is considering an Internet sales tax bill called the "Marketplace Fairness Act" that is anything but "fair" for small online businesses. If you want to help us protect small businesses and entrepreneurs from new tax burdens, please
get involved now.

If the Marketplace Fairness Act is allowed to become law, it could require online sellers like you to collect sales taxes nationwide from the more than 9,600 tax jurisdictions. You could also face the prospect of being audited by tax collectors from other states. On behalf of our eBay community, we are pushing Congress to include meaningful protections for small businesses.

Earlier this year, the Senate passed a bill now being considered by the House of Representatives. The good news is that hundreds of thousands of consumers and small business owners contacted Capitol Hill to express their concerns. This public outpouring has resulted in the House taking time to ask much-needed questions about how this bill will impact e-commerce and small businesses like yours.

Despite this positive development, the bill's supporters and their Washington lobbyists still want to get the bill through Congress by attaching it to important pieces of legislation that Congress must pass, such as the government funding and debt ceiling bills. Congress must fix the Senate bill by significantly increasing the small business exemption. That is why we need your help. If you oppose attempts to force an unfair Internet sales tax bill into law, raise your voice and let your representatives in Congress know.

Thank you for helping to keep the Internet a fair and open marketplace for all.

Sincerely,

Tod Cohen
Vice President & Deputy General Counsel, Government Relations
eBay Inc.

·
Registered
2012 SXT
63 Posts
Done. I wish we had honest politicians who would change our archaic tax code into something that doesn't require a CPA or a tax attorney to decipher.

Unfortunately, "honest" and "politician" are usually mutually exclusive terms. :soapbox:

·
Banned
349 Posts
You could get every single person in the entire U.S., even the "undocumented visitors" to sign this. The reality is, and we all know it, this WILL HAPPEN. It's a matter of when not IF!

·
Premium Member
3,690 Posts
Will do, Luke. We need to spout off to our elected officials, who in fact work for us! Keep them in line!

·
Registered
498 Posts
They want to tax bicycles in Chicago now too. Reality is the average tax burden is 50% of what you earn now. In the not too distant future it wont be worth working or operating a business in the US.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Done and DONE!

·
Registered
74 Posts
They want to tax bicycles in Chicago now too. Reality is the average tax burden is 50% of what you earn now. In the not too distant future it wont be worth working or operating a business in the US.
Wow that is insane. Unfortunately they keep trying to squeeze the hard working Americans further and further. You are right though unfortunately even some hard workers & business owners will stop or move out of the US...if it keeps going the way it is and believe me I hate to say that.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2012 SXT
63 Posts
Well, I've received e-mail responses from both Georgia Senators. Both are Republicans but neither are "Conservatives" by any means as you can tell from the following. Both responses were form letters and the content was almost identical. Here's the one from Sen. Saxby Chambliss:

Dear Mr. Booth:

Thank you for your recent correspondence regarding federal tax policy. Your taking the time to contact me is appreciated.

Over 20 years have passed since the Supreme Court found (Quill v. North Dakota) that current state and local sales tax rules were too complicated to require retailers to collect sales taxes unless they had a physical presence in the state of the consumer. This decision resulted in legislative responses at both the state and Federal level.

States responded by adopting, the "Streamlined Sales and Use Tax Agreement," a comprehensive interstate system to streamline and harmonize their tax rules and administrative requirements. This agreement was approved by 34 states and the District of Columbia, and became effective in 2005. Georgia became a full member state in 2012.

Congress' attempted responses to the Supreme Court's decision have been varied. While some proposals have been drafted to simply sanction the Streamlined Sales and Use Tax Agreement, other proposals have attempted to create new "internet sales taxes," a course of action that I do not support.

Earlier this year, S. 336, the Marketplace Fairness Act, was introduced and referred to the Senate Committee on Finance. S. 336 was not passed out of committee for consideration by the full Senate, though identical legislation, S. 743, was recently considered by the full Senate.

On May 6, 68 of my colleagues and I voted on S. 743, the new Marketplace Fairness bill, which would sanction the Streamlined Sales and Use Tax Agreement that the State of Georgia has already adopted. S. 743 ultimately passed the Senate with a 69-27 vote margin. I believe Congress should enable brick-and-mortar retailers to operate on the same playing field as e-commerce retailers. This bill ensures that local businesses are not placed at an unfair disadvantage compared to their online competitors.

Whenever legislation regarding internet taxation or the collection and remittance of local sales taxes is considered by the full Senate, I will certainly keep your views in mind.

If you would like to receive timely email alerts regarding the latest congressional actions and my weekly e-newsletter, please sign up via my web site at: www.chambliss.senate.gov. Please let me know how I may be of assistance.

He forgot to add "I'm from D.C. and I'm here to help you!" :domotwak:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts