Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brake pedal keeps vibrating and I hear a fast/constant clicking sound every couple days whenever I press down my brake. It just comes and goes sometimes the vibrating is very strong almost tickles my foot whenever I press it. I was at the dealership the other day and since it wasnt vibrating that day the guy there told me its nothing to worry about... Anyone have a idea what it is?

·
Premium Member
2,994 Posts
I can't tell from your description if it is likely warped rotor(s), your anti-lock brakes kicking in or something else. But I wouldn't let it go without finding out what it is.

Does it only do it after the car has been sitting and then it goes away after you use the brakes some or is it always there, sometimes worse?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Could be simply glazed rotors too. Had a car that had a constant problem with this. What I ended up doing is taking my random orbital sander with some 80 grit on it and scuffing up the surface of the rotor. Sounds crude, but it worked like a charm. Had one street bike with the same thing, and the same cure.

Actually, on second thought, I'm begining to wonder if I was getting tire dressing on the rotor for those two. I once managed to get WD-40 on the rotor of my dirt bike, and even after wiping it down well, braking hard and heating up the breaks, the remnants of the oil (after burning off) left behind a glaze. Here again, a quick scuff with sandpaper did the trick.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Just use some respirator device so you don't breath any asbestos from the dust the pads may have left on the disc. Or if you want to live life like we did years ago, clean the hell out of the disc, and you should be ok.

·
Registered
466 Posts
had to replace my rotors after 15k miles because they were warped, i had those same symptoms

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll try to clean my rotors before taking it to the dealership again...

Waumo now that I think about it it usually only does happen in the morning or when I drive it for the first time in the day.

·
Banned
1,540 Posts
What speeds does this happen? Does it get stronger slowing down from highway speeds? Had the dealer replace my rear rotors at 200 miles because of this, no more probs. Have the tech check the runout of all the rotors with a dial indicator to see if they are out of spec. Bug them until it's cured. Good luck!

Jack

·
Super Moderator
15,441 Posts
It sounds like the ABS system is activating.

What you describe (higher frequency vibration/buzz or soleniod clicks) feeling through the pedal is indicative of the ABS function.

It might be a problem with tone rings (produces signal for sensors) or an ABS sensor/cable not working reliably. If the system senses (or thinks it has detected) a wheel turning more slowly than the others while braking, it would engage the ABS system and pulse the brake line pressure to counter-act the differences among wheel speeds.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jack09 It happened again this morning except I only noticed it when I was at a complete stop (Had green lights all the way to work). When I was in the parking lot (Not moving) I just held the brake in for about a minute and it kept vibrating and kept hearing that same clicking sound... Not able to really clean or look at my rotors till the weekend either which sucks.

·
Premium Member
2,994 Posts
Jack09 It happened again this morning except I only noticed it when I was at a complete stop (Had green lights all the way to work). When I was in the parking lot (Not moving) I just held the brake in for about a minute and it kept vibrating and kept hearing that same clicking sound... Not able to really clean or look at my rotors till the weekend either which sucks.
If it is doing it when you are at a complete stop, it has nothing to do with rotors or pads.
The only thing I can think of is the ABS system gone crazy and pulsing while you are stopped. Definitely needs to get the dealer to fix this.
If you can't make it happen while the tech is with you, maybe you can video it or something for proof.

·
Banned
1,540 Posts
ABS solenoids are firing when they aren't supposed to. Get it in the shop ASAP. This is a new one for me.

Jack

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just got my car back from the dealership, They said they took it for a test drive didn't notice the brake vibrating or noise but had a look at my brakes and abs anyways and said that as far as they can tell nothings wrong with either, both are in good condition. The mechanic said it could of had something to do with the cold weather we had a couple weeks back but as far as he can tell there is nothing wrong with the brakes or ABS in my ride.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts