Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My steering wheel vibrates.It gets worse above 60 MPH.Dealer says that's how the 6's are.Took me for a ride in a brand new 17,same thing but,even worse.Hard to believe that's the way a 30K car is and there is nothing I can do about it.I want to get rid of it but,I can't afford the 10K hit I'd take. Any suggestions?? Anyone have similar issues??

·
Registered
309 Posts
Firestone or Goodyear tires?
I've had 2014 and 2016 SXT's with Firestones and they are rock solid well past 70MPH.

·
Premium Member
7,314 Posts
Your steering wheel shouldn't shake. The first thing I would check is that all the lug nuts are properly torqued and the air pressure is correct. If yes, then get the tires balanced (Road Force balance machine is best if there is one at your local garage).

If yours is a 2016, I doubt that there would be worn components, but that would be the next thing to check if the above didn't solve the problem.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Your steering wheel shouldn't shake. The first thing I would check is that all the lug nuts are properly torqued and the air pressure is correct. If yes, then get the tires balanced (Road Force balance machine is best if there is one at your local garage).

If yours is a 2016, I doubt that there would be worn components, but that would be the next thing to check if the above didn't solve the problem.
THIS.... You may have lost a weight.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
21,699 Posts
First thing I think of as well is an unbalanced wheel. A spin on any balancing machine would spot that. A Guy

·
Registered
2013 SRT8
1,072 Posts
I am inclined to agree about having the wheels balanced. My wheels with my All season tires started doing the same thing a few months back. So I put my summer wheels on and nothing. No shaking or vibrations. Now, I have had a chance to take the wheels in yet but plan on doing so in the next week or so. I'm sure a weight came off.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Still Vibrating

Dealers..., gotta love 'em.. "That's how the 6's are". They're so funny. :laugh2:
Unbelieveable..I contacted Dodge and they are putting me in contact with a district rep.I'm taking it to a different Dodge dealer to see what they say.The first service mgr. was infatic that "it's not the wheels" So,apparently he didn't rebalance the wheels..It's either a wheel or the driveshaft that is out of balance IMO.I;m going to haunt them to get it right or sue under the warranty law. Let's see what happens when the Dodge district rep. shows up...I don't really want to go to a local tire shop to have them balance the wheels..I have a warranty and I want Dodge to do it....G-d forbid a local shop destroys a lug or sratches the wheel..

·
Registered
309 Posts
Unbelieveable..I contacted Dodge and they are putting me in contact with a district rep.I'm taking it to a different Dodge dealer to see what they say.The first service mgr. was infatic that "it's not the wheels" So,apparently he didn't rebalance the wheels..It's either a wheel or the driveshaft that is out of balance IMO.I;m going to haunt them to get it right or sue under the warranty law. Let's see what happens when the Dodge district rep. shows up...I don't really want to go to a local tire shop to have them balance the wheels..I have a warranty and I want Dodge to do it....G-d forbid a local shop destroys a lug or sratches the wheel..
Good move Harry. Have them open up a case and get it resolved.
I'm still trying to figure out how another 2017 from the dealer lot displayed the same vibration. Tire flat spotting maybe?
Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Well at least you know what dealer not to take your vehicle to for warranty or any other work. If they have a new unsold vehicle that shakes that bad then they truly do not know WTH they are doing. JMHOYMMV

·
Registered
537 Posts
If they said "It's not the wheels" then "it's" something else because the car is vibrating and shouldn't. They just want you to go away and live with it because there's no profit in it for them. Do you know someone with a Challenger or Charger that would let you swap wheels to see if it solves the problem ? Armed with that information would be helpful when dealing with Dodge. Good Luck and let us know how you make out. :|

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If they said "It's not the wheels" then "it's" something else because the car is vibrating and shouldn't. They just want you to go away and live with it because there's no profit in it for them. Do you know someone with a Challenger or Charger that would let you swap wheels to see if it solves the problem ? Armed with that information would be helpful when dealing with Dodge. Good Luck and let us know how you make out. :|
How or can I insist that they balance the wheels??

·
Registered
537 Posts
How or can I insist that they balance the wheels??
You know, if I were the manager I'd have one of the techs re-balance them. If it fixes the problem you go away happy and write nice things about your experience on the ChallengerTalk Forum... If it doesn't fix the problem it hasn't cost the dealership anything (except 20 minutes of time and a wheel weight or two). AND it eliminates the tires and wheels as being the source of your vibration problems. If the dealership continues to tell you there's no need to re-balance the tires and wheels then I'd ask...., "well, if it's not a balance issue, what is causing the vibrations?". Just my opinion. Good Luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You know, if I were the manager I'd have one of the techs re-balance them. If it fixes the problem you go away happy and write nice things about your experience on the ChallengerTalk Forum... If it doesn't fix the problem it hasn't cost the dealership anything (except 20 minutes of time and a wheel weight or two). AND it eliminates the tires and wheels as being the source of your vibration problems. If the dealership continues to tell you there's no need to re-balance the tires and wheels then I'd ask...., "well, if it's not a balance issue, what is causing the vibrations?". Just my opinion. Good Luck.

The service manager said"IT'S NOT THE WHEELS",OK,so what is it? "Torsion vibration" All the penstar's are like this.A hemi wouldn't do this. I'm going to a different dealer MON.I am going to insist they balance the wheels.As you said that would atleast eliminate that..How am I going to get them to balance the drive shaft?

·
Registered
537 Posts
I'd go to another dealer and say...... "My car is vibrating at speed and I have no idea what's causing it" PERIOD. See what they say/do. Also, I wouldn't mention you were at a different dealer, although they have ways of finding out by entering your Vin# into their system (I think).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'd go to another dealer and say...... "My car is vibrating at speed and I have no idea what's causing it" PERIOD. See what they say/do. Also, I wouldn't mention you were at a different dealer, although they have ways of finding out by entering your Vin# into their system (I think).

I'm not going to mention the other dealer but,they will see the other services done to the car.After they do and say whatever after they're done,if they didn't balance the wheels,I'm going to request that they do...I'd hate to have to have them balanced at Tire Town or someone else local.What if they damage a lug nut or worse?
BTW,I have been in contact with Dodge customer service and informed them of situation and my next appointment.I'm waiting for a district rep to get in touch with me.Let them start a file on my car.Give me a contact person familiar with the issue.And document everything incase I sue for warranty failure.Magnusen Act.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts