Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Hmm, I would certainly consider cutting and drilling my fenders a "customization". :) The whole point of these add-on flares was that it would be an inexpensive way to add fender flares for the look (not the function) without modifying or replacing any existing parts - in a "DIY" way. Once you start talking about cutting and drilling fenders (or replacing fenders), it's no longer an inexpensive mod for the DIY'er.

I can only imagine the cost involved to replace the fenders, paint them, etc. Just not worth it at that point.

We're not talking about a small difference in price between the two methods...
by the time you try to blend all 4 corners of the car, both fenders and quarters, you just paint the whole car..... Yeah ummm not a DIY

·
Registered
219 Posts
I agree with you. I wish they were an easy bolt on kit. I would consider it myself. I like the wide body kit but it’s a lot of hassle and extra expense when things dont fit properly. Even the Moparts kit says in print which I missed before it says “some fabrication may be required and professional installation is recommended.” The factory cuts the fenders and quarters out to fit the wider tires. Then they drill holes for the bolts for the flares. I’ve seen how they are installed. I’m not willing to experiment on my car with the wide body kits OEM or not. If I had the coin I would order a wide body R/T and be done but I’m happy with my 09 just as it is and it’s modded as well. It’s a beautiful car. It doesn’t look like an 09. It was expensive to update the front end. Since 2011 I hated the Ram emblem and I didn’t care for the carbon fiber stripes or the old style chin spoiler. It’s up too every individual to what they want to do to customize their cars..... I try to keep it simple and OEM parts nothing aftermarket but that’s just me.
BED0B34C-7640-4195-A1F5-158C09052A9F.jpeg
5DE96AB2-D94C-41A2-AA58-4ECEB9981762.jpeg

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I just checked out their site again (Vicrez Demon Wide Body Fender Flares vz101488 | Dodge Challenger 2008-2019) - they now have some customer-installed photos on the site - and they look pretty damn good. :)

Keep in mind the car in the video is a 2010 - their site (at least now) does specify that modifications are needed for pre-2015 Challengers. Who knows, they may actually work well on the 2015+ vehicles... Check out their site for some actual pictures.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,891 Posts
Good on them for showing it on an actual car, the wonky 3d render isn't going to sell this for them.

My biggest concern is, what changes must you do to the front suspension/wheels to get wider wheels to fit without rubbing?

How does the Widebody differ from the standard body in that regard?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Good on them for showing it on an actual car, the wonky 3d render isn't going to sell this for them.

My biggest concern is, what changes must you do to the front suspension/wheels to get wider wheels to fit without rubbing?

How does the Widebody differ from the standard body in that regard?
Honestly, I don't think that these are "functional" items - just "cosmetic" items.

Since you're not actually altering the fenders, quarter-panels or wheel liners in any way, I don't see how you could actually get wider wheels on the car just because of these fender flares.

My guess is that the real wide body cars have different suspension setups, as well as fender, quarter-panel and wheel liner changes that actually allow for wider wheels.... That is really just a guess though. Hopefully someone else can give some actual knowledge on that. :)

·
Registered
2009 B5 SRT8 M6
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Honestly, I don't think that these are "functional" items - just "cosmetic" items.

Since you're not actually altering the fenders, quarter-panels or wheel liners in any way, I don't see how you could actually get wider wheels on the car just because of these fender flares.

My guess is that the real wide body cars have different suspension setups, as well as fender, quarter-panel and wheel liner changes that actually allow for wider wheels.... That is really just a guess though. Hopefully someone else can give some actual knowledge on that. :)

Real WB have the same suspension for the most part, just a wider offset rim, and they do have different quarter panels, However, I have seen non WB cars with widebody wheels/tires without rubbing at stock Ride height, under heavy compression they will rub, but have heard them to be ok normal driving

·
Registered
195 Posts
I’ve been keeping an eye on this kit for a while, I’ve seen one guy with a 09 SRT that did his own body work cause he’s lowered for autotrack and came out good with OEM demon rims!
This guy below in the pic has a 15+ with widebody reps and his vehicle looks pretty good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 28 of 28 Posts