Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed out my Blastin' Bobs glass packs for the BB straight pipes on Monday and wow what a difference. My original intention was to get the straight pipes and run them on the weekends, for cruises and/or when I want to just get loud and then run the glass packs for everyday driving. I took the car out Tuesday for a ride in the country and it looks like I won't be swapping these back and forth.

I was thinking that the sound would be a bit much for everyday driving, but after cruising 200 miles Tuesday I think the straight pipes will remain. The exhaust is awesome from the outside of the car and the interior sound is not much more than the glass packs. Truely impressed and pleased with the result.

So I have finally been able to complete the videos of exhaust change from BB Glass Packs to Straight Pipes.

My car has gone through an evolution with respect to the exhaust, so I have posted this 1st video which follows the evolution. The video is of startup and engine revs in the driveway. It goes from stock to Glass Packs to Straight Pipes. It is interesting to hear the differences (or to me anyway).

Startup and Engine Revs

The second video has some comparisions of the Glass Packs and Straight Pipes at WOT. This is several takeoffs and pass bys.

As you can see my car has changed a bit in the last 10 months. I put the glass packs on in Feb 2010.

So let me know what you guys think!!! I am really liking the new sound.

Chuck

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Chuck, now you have me thinking! Your BB glass pack videos you did before were very good and informational and help me to make the decision to go that route. Now your videos with the BB straights do sound even better. Such an easy swap out since the cuts were already made. Thank you for taking the time making those videos.

How is the 6 gear so called drone noise compared with the glass packs? Also did you feel any low end loss of torque compared with the glass packs?

This is such a good and practical mode for the 6speed manuals.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
I thought the glasspacks sounded good, but the straight pipes were awesome. Do you have any resonators at all?

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
I can verify that Chuck's car sounds very throaty and very mean
from idle to high rpm's.
It works well on the 6 speed cars, but it's not for automatics.

Now I'm debating a change in my car's future.....

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I vote for the glasspacks. You may think I'm crazy, but I'm not. There is a very nasty rappy sound with the straight pipes at certain rpms that sounds like crap quite honestly. I hope it sounds better inside the car. What about drone, has it improved or gotten worse? Thanks for posting, it is always good to see and hear various options. Good job on the video.:thumbsup:

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
I have to agree, glasspacks is a tad better.

I cut the reso's off my 6 speed SRT and put straight pipes on, I left it like that, but about 4500 rpm, it didn't have a clear sound, like skialfs said, rappy.

Your car though, long as your happy, who cares.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I put the BB glasspacks on Friday, and I drove the hell out of it today and it seems to be getting less "boomy" on slow acceleration (1500-2000RPM with the throttle just cracked) than it was the first day. I made a bunch of full throttle runs today to get them really heated up, and I could hear them ticking away loudly when I got out to come inside the house. They still have a strong scorched smell (My Charger always had it), but it's less too. Sadly, my camcorder seems to have the bass rolled off to the point that videos are for the most part, meaningless. You can barely hear the exhaust at all except for FT runs, and they sound very different than they really do. My voice came through crystal clear, and so did the constant crinkling of a bag of dog food I had on my passenger seat. That came through better than anything else. The camcorder does take great video though.

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
So the gent goes through the trouble of posting the results of his mod and receives constructive criticism regarding how he goes about it? Hmmm...

HemiSam

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Not from me! I got myself into trouble about 25 years ago when I got angry about something and laid about 150' of rubber down in my 79 Trans Am, from my driveway to almost the end of the street. It was a nice fall day, and a bunch of the neighbors were out raking their leaves. I remember the dirty looks I got as I passed them, and I heard about it for a long time afterwards from one neighbor in particular. I finally just said to her, "It's not like I ran over somebody, just get over it!". If my Challenger had half the hit that car had on takeoff, I would be thrilled. The tracks I laid down were there for a long long time, until they repaved the street.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I love my BB straight pipes but I do get a little popping when slowing down from time to time. Maybe just need to check the tightness. Anyone else have a popping issue with them?

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
The popping is perfectly natural. I'm running stock SRT8 shorties and mid-pipes attached to Corsa catback and I get the same thing. I think it sounds great :)

HemiSam

·
Registered
385 Posts
I had blastin bobs glasspack installed for over a year with flowmaster super 44s and it sounded good to me! Removed the BB glasspacks three months ago and now it sounds good to everyone! I get so many compliments on my exhaust now since i have no glasspacks! I think yours sound better as well without the glasspacks!

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Very tasty, Chuck! Can't wait to hear her in person. You running stock shorties and midpipes?
Thanks Sam... stock shorties and midpipes

I thought the glasspacks sounded good, but the straight pipes were awesome. Do you have any resonators at all?
Thanks, i like the new sound also. No reasonators. Cut the pipes 3 feet back from the tips and clamped on the straight pipes.

I vote for the glasspacks. You may think I'm crazy, but I'm not. There is a very nasty rappy sound with the straight pipes at certain rpms that sounds like crap quite honestly. I hope it sounds better inside the car. What about drone, has it improved or gotten worse? Thanks for posting, it is always good to see and hear various options. Good job on the video.:thumbsup:
I like the glass packs too, but I am just happy with the new sound for now. That is why I love this mod, easy to swap out when I feel the need or urge. Thanks for the props on the video. About drone, i don't get any with the 6sp manual.

So the gent goes through the trouble of posting the results of his mod and receives constructive criticism regarding how he goes about it? Hmmm...
:)

I had blastin bobs glasspack installed for over a year with flowmaster super 44s and it sounded good to me! Removed the BB glasspacks three months ago and now it sounds good to everyone! I get so many compliments on my exhaust now since i have no glasspacks! I think yours sound better as well without the glasspacks!
I have revcieved overwhelimg good response as well. It makes a difference hearing it in person.

Thanks to all for the input. I will post up an interior ride along video in a few.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Video: Interior sound Exhaust comparision

OK... here is a ride along in my car with the new Blastin Bob Straight Pipes. I have also included some footage from earlier this year when I had the Glass Packs on as a comparison. I think most will hear that there is not much differrence with respect to the amount of cabin noise with either setup. I also don't find there to be any drone. I think that has a lot to do with the fact that I am driving a 6spd manual (just my opinion) and not the automatic with the MDS.

I have tried to include most typical daily driving so that you get a good sense of what it would be like to have these on the car and cruising around town; with some WOT stretches of course.

In some spots of the video, you will hear a rattle noise which is the handle of my shifter followed by a loud tap (which is me banging the top of the shifter to get it to stop rattling ). This is now becoming an issue with the increased exhaust output and vibration. I would appreciate any input regarding what to do about this (other than get the hurst short-throw shifter). I am not ready to drop the 4 bills for this yet.

Enjoy the video - and as always, bring on the comments.

Chuck

·
Registered
299 Posts
Thanks for the vids, both sound really good. Can't wait to get one of those mods for mine.

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
I'll come back and listen to that vid, Chuck, but I've seen some of the guys have success shooting RTV into the grip. Don't know if you can do that with a stocker, though. You hit it on the head...it's a vibration issue and it's basically acting like a bell. I did have some luck with rubber washers on the bolt that comes up through the metal pan that sits just under your leather boot. It may help and it's and easy mod. Be happy to help you pull the console if you need it. I've done it more times than I care to count...

HemiSam

1 - 20 of 22 Posts