Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have problem to find VIN in my RT 2008, except those two which are easily visible: windshield corner and left door. I found in user's guide from the link given here (this forum is great! Thanks!) that there are only two VINs in the car from this year of build. Later models have VIN stamped on the suspension seat. The question is: where the older models like mine - from 2008 have stamped VIN?
Please help!
This stamped VIN is demanded by authority to give permission for car usage at all... After long and heavy rebuild it is standing in the garage. I am desperate...They want stamped VIN which is probably not present in this model. Unless it is hidden somwhere I was not able to reach.
Please help.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
933 Posts
Hello,

I have problem to find VIN in my RT 2008, except those two which are easily visible: windshield corner and left door. I found in user's guide from the link given here (this forum is great! Thanks!) that there are only two VINs in the car from this year of build. Later models have VIN stamped on the suspension seat. The question is: where the older models like mine - from 2008 have stamped VIN?
Please help!
This stamped VIN is demanded by authority to give permission for car usage at all... After long and heavy rebuild it is standing in the garage. I am desperate...They want stamped VIN which is probably not present in this model. Unless it is hidden somwhere I was not able to reach.
Please help.
I would ass-u-me that if THEY demand the VIN then THEY should know where it is. I know a lot of classic people that know where the "Con-VIN" is on certain cars, actually I wouldn't be surprised if it was in many places on modern cars, but I personally don't know.
All I do know is, get it sorted out officially before you put any more money into the car. I had an issue with a car in the past that had the dashboard out of another car put in it (color swap @ gauge package...) and that included the donor car's VIN. When I got hit in it, I ended up losing a bit of money based on damage only, not total value, but it wasn't bad. If it was a more expensive car, I could have been screwed out of a lot of money.

·
Super Moderator
14,703 Posts
the engine has the last 8 VIN on the top of the block right where it meets the transmission - visible from driver's side. need a bright light to see it (dot matrix type of etch)

·
Registered
2009 B5 SRT8 M6
75 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
What is a 2008 RT :unsure: lol

I would give this a read, looks like there is a location on the right strut tower?
What's the site website address?

@OP I still find it odd they need more info on the car but guess other country's are different. Must he alot of chop shops lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gentelmen, thanks for your involvement!
Newer models than my 2008 have VIN stamped on strut tower. This is right, but older unfortunatelly do not have it.
The problem with authorities is that they just demand, regardless of facts. They want it on the body, like usually (e.g. on the strut tower, or floor...) what is 99,99% common on local market here in Poland.
Moreover, they will not make validation based on VIN placed on the engine or other parts. It has to be on the body...
To make it clear, i will lead to registration some way, no doubt! This is matter of effort and money. I spent almost all savings (stupid-I know), and don't see the other possibility. It will happen. Somehow. But if there is body stamped VIN, this would be just formal. Easy. So hopefuly this exists, and I'm trying to find it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm, good question.
Good idea! I'll think it through. The only question is about legality. However the car is clear. I want to have all honest. I'll think it through after response from Townhall how to proceed. Thank you! But there is special procedure to put ID number on the carbody. It needs some official statement given by the expert but this doesn't apply when the car is equipped with VIN. Not my case.

·
Registered
Boosted 2014 R/T Shaker M6
2,089 Posts
It's there, and the authorities requiring it should know the location. Your alternative would be to contact FCA.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The date of mfr on the sticker is 11-08, while 10th character in VIN is 9. I don't know why this is like that, so I say 2008 consequently. But to the point: so the location of number is different between '08 and '09 models? If yes, please tell both. This is not a problem for me to check them.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,396 Posts
2B3LJ54T99H538

2B3LJ All

54T = R/T

Tenth digit 9 = 2009

Twelfth digit 5 = 2009

This is a 2009 R/T

A Guy

·
Registered
13,864 Posts
Yeah 5.7L R/T, the 8th digit of T tells you that, for the 6.1L engine it would have been a W.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
397 Posts
The above is correct. You have a 2009 RT that was manufactured in November of 2008. I don’t know about other countries, but it is common in the US for car manufacturers to begin production in the last several months of a year for the following years cars. So even though your car was made in late 2008, it is a 2009.

Stamped Chassis VIN Number
The Dodge challenger VIN vehicle identification number (VIN) or chassis number is located on the right front strut tower inside the engine compartment. This was on a later model other areas to check are under the front seats stamped into the crossmember in the trunk or on the fire wall.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for decoding! My car became younger! Hopefuly this is like with Benjamin Button :p
Thanks for another ideas!
In trunk checked, no result. Under the seats - I need to dismantle the carpet. There is no window, no hole with little cover, won't be easy. Why this is hidden so much?!...
I think the worst access is the wall. I will leave it for the last.

·
Registered
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
565 Posts
@jar pikok
When you looked in the trunk.....did you actually look at the deck lid itself?

Additionally......you might try looking along the unibody portion of the car on both sides, too....

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,396 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am on business trip and will be home next week. But decklid is just removable part. Should be on unibody somwhere. I think I have to check first under front seats and later dash panel. The floor is checked from underneath.

OregonScat is another forum?

·
Registered
Boosted 2014 R/T Shaker M6
2,089 Posts
Thanks for decoding! My car became younger! Hopefuly this is like with Benjamin Button :p
Thanks for another ideas!
In trunk checked, no result. Under the seats - I need to dismantle the carpet. There is no window, no hole with little cover, won't be easy. Why this is hidden so much?!...
I think the worst access is the wall. I will leave it for the last.
VINs are hidden to identify stolen vhicles.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts