Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of ya know I been building a theft recovery srt8.
I took to get the win module programmed and the dealer said it comes back to a hemi orange car. The car is in original paint and is black as a tire. The car fax reports all show reported as black as well.
Aside for the dash and door where can I look for a body stamped vin?
Also the one in the radio shows as the door and dash.

On the radio does it have vin programmed or does it pick that up from the PCM?

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
15,059 Posts
What is the three character paint code on the door sticker?:

Brilliant Black Pearl = PXR ['08 to '11]

Pitch Black = PX8 ['12 to present]

Hemi Orange = PLC ['08 to '10, '13]

Unless your car had a WIN swapped out - possible if a theft recovery car, or in the past, the WIN was swapped out for a problem, or an aftermarket tune?

·
Banned
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is the three character paint code on the door sticker?:

Brilliant Black Pearl = PXR ['08 to '11]

Pitch Black = PX8 ['12 to present]

Hemi Orange = PLC ['08 to '10, '13]

Unless your car had a WIN swapped out - possible if a theft recovery car, or in the past, the WIN was swapped out for a problem, or an aftermarket tune?
It's pxr....

I bought brand new win.

·
Super Moderator
15,059 Posts
A dealer can also enter the VIN # - it will pull up all the options the car was built with, including paint color, trim, engine, trans, etc.

·
Super Moderator
15,059 Posts
I'd consider checking with another dealer- just in case.

The other thing to "prove" to them by inspection

-look under car where spare tire well

-look under the trunk floor cover inside spare tire well

-inspect engine bay

-backside of 'honeycomb' radiator support

These cars are primered in gray - the paint coverage isn't complete and you'd see the primer with some over-spray of the color coat.

If a color change were done, its unlikely someone would go through the expense of repainting these areas that thoroughly...it would otherwise require a lot of disassembly to paint and then re-install everything.

Here's an example of my tire well [Hemi Orange car] - color is lightly over-sprayed and you can see the gray primer coat...and the seam caulking isn't painted, nor is the sound deadline mat.

The underside of the body looks similar as well - the rockers are painted, but towards the center of the body, its mostly gray primer.

·
Super Moderator
15,059 Posts
I have done paint and body for over 30 years and would know if it had respray. It's all factory paint.
What I was trying to explain is to show to the dealer that your car was built as black and these were ways to demonstrate that was built that way.

Not to you...but their information was incorrect.

·
Banned
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What I was trying to explain is to show to the dealer that your car was built as black and these were ways to demonstrate that was built that way.

Not to you...but their information was incorrect.
Oh gotcha...
The service guy is trying to say the numbers been changed. I see no tamper evidence. Dash , door, radio... There's got to be more than those 3 areas of vin ID.

I have to have it inspected before I can get paperwork done. Just don't wanna roll up and have my car taken cause of some dumbhsit..lol

The service guy is a putz.. No other dealer within 100 miles

·
Super Moderator
15,059 Posts
There's probably some hidden areas with VIN # on the body - don't know where those are.

The PCM also has the VIN # stored in that as well. This is the Powertrain Control Module - the other devices (IP cluster, radio) communicate with one another and the VIN # is referenced to each other.

·
Banned
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There's probably some hidden areas with VIN # on the body - don't know where those are.

The PCM also has the VIN # stored in that as well. This is the Powertrain Control Module - the other devices (IP cluster, radio) communicate with one another and the VIN # is referenced to each other.
I guess I'll try to call state troopers office and see if they can enlighten me. They only take calls on wed for rebuilt cars.

The dealer is no help for sure.

Thank ya sir !!

·
Premium Member
9,207 Posts
I guess I'll try to call state troopers office and see if they can enlighten me. They only take calls on wed for rebuilt cars.

The dealer is no help for sure.

Thank ya sir !!
That would be the LAST thing I'd do, should anything be nefarious ($50 word) you can lose the car along with the money you put in it, it's happened many times in the news. This is a Chrysler issue not an issue regarding the local law.
If you've read enough here there are members who their warranties put on hold because someone mis-entered a vin # and said the cars were totaled in a wreck even though they bought the cars new and insurance company never paid a claim. Be care of what you do, it always has a way of coming back and biting you in the a$$.

·
Premium Member
9,207 Posts
What I mean is if it's registered, insured and on the road I'd be hesitant in pointing out any negatives that can bring scrutiny.
My friend had a van he bought and while prepping it for paint, sanded down to a finish below the primer (custom murals) it was painted with and bottom line is the van was a stolen show truck and returned to the original owner and got nothing back money wise.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Take it from me(owner of '11 theft recovery) contacting law enforcement at this point is not the answer. There is a high possibility that the WIN may have been swapped with another vehicle by the thieves that stole it. First thing to check is the sticker in D/S door jam that shows tire sizes and pressure. In the R/H corner of the sticker is the last 8 digits of the vin#. The transmission will also have the last 8 digits stamped on it. It's nearly impossible, but with a mirror you can see the last 8 stamped on the back of the engine block. Plugging into the OBII port with a diagnostic tool should give you the vin# that is stored in the ECM. Not sure about all of the radios, but the MYGIG should display the same vin# that is stored in the ECM. The hidden vin is easy to find if you know where to look. There's only one. It took me 2hrs to find after completely tearing it apart, but only would have taken me 2 minutes if I'd only known. I hope for your sake that the vin# on your title matches the hidden vin#. Otherwise, you could be in for living hell. Trust me, I was there. You can PM mw for info on hidden vin.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Super Moderator
15,059 Posts
I don't believe these cars have the partial VIN stamped on engine or transmission (like the older cars used to be...)

The mfgr has databases with the barcoded drivetrain components as it was assembled with at the plant.

This way they can track down build dates of the components for recalls or if warranty claims are submitted. Its included in the barcode tags that are attached to these parts.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I don't believe these cars have the partial VIN stamped on engine or transmission (like the older cars used to be...)

The mfgr has databases with the barcoded drivetrain components as it was assembled with at the plant.

This way they can track down build dates of the components for recalls or if warranty claims are submitted. Its included in the barcode tags that are attached to these parts.
Not trying to be argumentative, but trust me, the last 8 digits are stamped into the engine and transmission. There may also be a bar code, but I would have to dig a bit to find those pics to confirm it.

·
Super Moderator
15,059 Posts
That'd be interesting if that's the case...do put up the info (and pics) of where those s/n would be located.

·
Registered
625 Posts
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1384456566.098612.jpg
Here is the one on the tranny. It's located on the Left(D/S) side of the tranny. Part of the numbers are blocked for obvious reasons. It is impossible to take a pic of the one on the engine block. You would have to strap a minicam to a mouse and have him crawl to the back of the engine block to take a pic. It's located at the rear, near the top where the intake manifold mates to it.

·
Registered
625 Posts
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1384457585.724375.jpg
And here is the door jam sticker that also shows the last 8 of the vin# in the lower right corner.

·
Registered
668 Posts
If like GM they have a tool that looks like a block of needles that a person places on the block and trans. after they set them in the cradles then scan the barcode sheet and it stamps part of the V.I.N into the areas before they are mated to the body……JB.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts