Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
After a large amount of creative engineering, I made these. (the amber are fully functioal turn signals)
Is there any way you might do a step by step of how you made them, and with the parts you used? ;)

They look awesome btw. Are those OEM projection lights, or after market?

·
Registered
452 Posts
that looks cool! A step by step would be nice id like to learn how to do it, just in case :)

·
Registered
754 Posts
I have been thinking about doing this as well.

I think you are the first to convert the fogs into fully functional turn signals - others have just gone cosmetic - tinting the fogs amber.

A step by step with parts list would be greatly appreciated!

=========
BTW - What have you done with the original turn signals ("inner headlights")?
Have you wired them up as additonal high beams? or running lamps? or kept them as turn signals? or wred them to an indepenent switch? other?
===========

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Give me time to put something together. The uper lights (green) are aftermarket fog projectors, but in the turn signal housing, they don't project bright. I plan to use them as just show lights when cruising. It involved a lot of cutting, and grinding.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Kudos for the one-off mod!! Great job!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Give me time to put something together. The uper lights (green) are aftermarket fog projectors, but in the turn signal housing, they don't project bright. I plan to use them as just show lights when cruising. It involved a lot of cutting, and grinding.
I think I speak for everyone when I say thank you every much for sharing how you installed your mod. I eagerly await the step by step write up :) it will much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I will attempt to provide this info in steps so I can post pics. I am sure I will leave stuff out as I go, But I will do my best to fill it in.

MAKING THE AMBER LIGHT LENSES

I bought a new pair of challenger fog lights, and a pair of 2012 jeep wrangler turn signals. Though the jeep turn signal lens texture is not quite right, they fit inside the lens of the fogs. (A)
1) I split the fogs open by scraping the seam with a razor knife to break the glue bond, and gradually pryed them open. (B)
2) I cut off the back of the fog and ground the inside of it untill I could slide the turn signal housing into it (C, D)
3) I had cut the tabs off the turn signal housing, plus ground some of the lip behind the turn signal lens so it would fit inside the lens of the fog when closed back together (E)
4) I glued the turn signal housing inside the fog housing, and glued the lense back on with a plastic epoxy kit from the hardware store. After it dried, I pot the back support of the fog light back on as well as the adjustment screw.

The socket from the challenger turn signal lights will fit in and rotate into the new housing.
The wiring will have to be made longer to reach down to the fog location. I (either by splicing new wires in, or making extension cords to go between them).

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts
The socket from the challenger turn signal lights will fit in and rotate into the new housing.
The wiring will have to be made longer to reach down to the fog location. I (either by splicing new wires in, or making extension cords to go between them).
I apologize if this is a dumb question, when you switched the socket from the original turn signals to the fog lights below, I assume the turn signals that were next to the headlights no longer function correct? In other words, the fog lights are the only turn signals that flash in the front? Do the DRL still function with switching the sockets?

Do you know a place online that carries an extension for the socket of the turn signals? I'd rather not cut/splice wires if I don't have to.

Great write up so far, thank you very much for taking the time to share how you made them :)

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Only the bottom location would now operate as turn signals. When your running lights are on, they are the ones that light up. I made custom sockets to allow fog lights to be moved in the position next to the headlights. I used aftermarket LED fogs in this position because I was worried about heat buildup. As for the wiring, I also did not want to cut mine, so I made the extensions myself. I will show what I did in more posts.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
The Foglight Socket

This one will be more dificult. Bear with my explenation as I don't have many pics of this. I used exsisting pieces to make an adaptor to fit the stock fog light bulb into the stock turn signal housing.

I used:
a: The back piece of the original foglight housing (that I cut off to fit the jeep part in)
b: The bulb socket that came with the jeep turn signal
c: A piece of PVC pipe with a 1" inside diameter (to mount the two together)

I used a stock turn signal bulb socket as a reference to get the approximate depths I needed. (A)I did not dare test fit anything into the light housing until I was done and it was glued together. (If part fell inside it, I would have been hosed).

I removed the tabed part of the turn bulb socket from the original part I destroyed the housing it was in bet made sure not to damage the part I needed. Then I hollowed it out with a dremel tool with drum style sanding bits. It originally looked similar too (B) when finished it looked (C). I trimmed it to fit in the PVC pipe.

I took the foglight socket piece i cut off the original housing and ground it down to fit in the PVC (D).

I cut the PVC pipe down to approx a 1/2" ring and after measuring and test fitting multiple times, I glued the tthree pieces together with the same epoxy I used for the amber lenses.

I then drilled a hole in the side of the PVC wher it meets the (black) ground out light socket and installea a drift pin made from a small electrical splice. (I want to be sure that if the glue broke down, that piece would not fall into the headlight housing.)

Look in the next post for a few mor pics. Including the drift pin.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
More fog adaptor pics.
I made the front of my adapter a little to long, so I used a second trimmed down seal (orange) to take up some of the slack.
The adapter doesn't have a stop to keep it from beeing over rotated, so I made sure the seals keep it snug enough not to come loose.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Turn signal extension

My pictures are blury and limited, but its all I have.

Because I did not want to splice my wiring, I made extensions.

I used:
a: turn signal socket. (A)
b: pro grade RTV (for waterproofing)
c: wiring connector kit for turn signal.
d: home made plastic cover and screws.

Before you even ask, the socket and wiring connector kit are "not" listed for the challenger at the dealer. We found them listed under a 2009 Charger.

A lot of this guide will be vague. It is not intentional, you will need to study the parts, test fit them, and improvise.

I seperated the cylinder portion of a socket from the base by prying it out with a small screwdriver. There are three tiny tabs that hold it in. once released it will slide out and bring the pins with it. Be carefull not to brake the three pins sticking out the bottom. (B, C) I reused the base, and broke into the cylinder like a walnut in order to get the pieces I wanted. (Note: - Cutting works better)

After dismantaling the cylinder, I trimed down the metal from the pins so I could solder the wire from the "connector kit" to them. I made sure I positioned them in the base in a way to keep them from contacting each other and shorting out (D)

I made a small plastic plate the size of the inside diameter of the base and had tabs on it that would catch the three little receses in the base in order to lock it down. (E) It had spots ground out of it for the pins to come up through. The important part is to devise a way to hold the pins abainst the base of the socket so they dont push out when pluging it in.

Using the base as a templet, I made a cover that would go over the top after I filled the cavity with RTV. I drilled holes in the cover to allow the wires to be fed through.

I fed the wires from the "connector Kit" through the holes, soldered them to the pins, slid the pins in position, and filled the cavity with RTV before I fastened the cover in place with screws in the holes I drilled.

I used the connector kit and fastened the connector on. Make sure you have the cover and seal on, and the wires in the right order before you slide them in ihe housing. I didn't know how to get them back out and had to resolder two wires to correct my mistake.

I wrapped the wires whith electrical tape and that was it. the finished extension is pictured in the next post of pics.

BTW: if anyone knows how to get the wires back out of the housing without breaking anything, I would be greatfull for the info.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
last one
Fog lamp extension.

This was by far the easiest. Cause I cheated. I bought the fog light harness from the dealer, and cut the length off I needed.

Then I broke a fog light bulb and removed the pieces of glass and the ceramic base for the bulb. I removed the metal ring to get the tabs apart. I removed the locking tabsthat hold the bulb ceramic in place.

All that was left with was the plastic bulb housing with 2 metal posts sticking out the front. I cut the posts down to approximately 1/4 ".

I tried soldering new wire directly to the posts, but the solder would not adhere. So, I got small wire crimps from radio shack (I believe for 22-24 guage wire). They were a lot bigger than the post, but once I crimped them on, they fit tight.

I used an end-cap for a 1" inside diameter PVC pipe. drilled two holes in the end to feed the wire through. I shaved some alignment ridges off the side of the bulb socket to allow it to fit inside the cap.

I improvised a way to fasten the bulb socket to the PVC cap by drilling through the little "squeeze releases" on the side of the socket base, and into the PVC cap (when the part is assembled the way I wanted)

After the drilling, I fed the wires through the cap, spliced them to the bulb socket and drilled the necessary mounting holes, I filled the cap with a large amount of pro grade RTV and then slid the assembly together. I used small screws in the holes I made to fasten the socket to the cap.

As with the rest of the job, test fitting and creativity were the bigest part of making this work.

I hope this helps., and would like some feedback from you all, if at all posible.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
After a large amount of creative engineering, I made these. (the amber are fully functioal turn signals)
Congrats on being the first one to get FUNCTIONAL fog lights-to-signal lights mod! Two comments:

1. If someone just uses the original foglight (without replacing it with the Jeep light housing) - what if you just extended the wiring from the grill-mounted OEM turn signal so it could connect to the fog light, then attach the amber lens from last month's retro turn signal light mod...would that be simpler, or even possible?

2. Just a reminder about the green headlights you have - they look good, but are 100% illegal to be USED on the road. It's an easy reason to get pulled over and issued a citation.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
RockanRoll,

1) A fog light bulb doesn't have multiple filiments like the turn signal, and I'm not sure how the Wattage increase would effect the electrical system. I believe the Fog is around 24 Watt, and the signal 7.5 Watt.

It also seems to me that the shape of the back of the fog light housing is too small to fit the correct bulb, and it would be very dificult to grind out the recesses and key slots neccessary for the turn signal housing.

2) Thanks for the info on the green lights. I guess I had better find out.
I was told that green wasn't illegal, but I don't know. Either way I have them hooked to the fog light button, so I can turn them off at any time.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts