Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really thinking about a vinyl top as I am doing old school and this is classic. First, for anyone how has had the is for a while, how is it doing? For all who have it, anything you would change? Any part you are particularly happy with? Can you post pics with favorite details? How was the rain channel felt with in various tops and what has been the best? What did the top cost? Any recommendations on how to find someone in Vegas to do it? Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
278 Posts
I'm really thinking about a vinyl top as I am doing old school and this is classic. First, for anyone how has had the is for a while, how is it doing? For all who have it, anything you would change? Any part you are particularly happy with? Can you post pics with favorite details? How was the rain channel felt with in various tops and what has been the best? What did the top cost? Any recommendations on how to find someone in Vegas to do it? Thanks for sharing!
Are you thinking about an authentic vinyl top or a wrap? I went with the leather look wrap and is really happy with the result. Like the retro look and the car gets tons of compliments! My wrap guy said the rain channels would be difficult (why, I don't know) so I masked them and plasti dipped them black. Works and looks great! The key IMO is getting som nice looking moldings in the back that blends in well with the existing moldings from the small windows. I got aluminum moldings that I cut to fit perfect and then plasti dipped them as well for that matte black look.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm open to everything. It is hard to imagine that is a wrap. very real looking...

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
CEk! THAT. IS. AMAZING! Great alternative to real vinyl. Can't even tell. I love it! :thumbsup:

~Scott

·
Registered
278 Posts
Thanks! As I said, really happy with the result and easy to restore if I decide to sell it (god forbid) or wanna go in an another direction!

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Exactly what I was thinking. With the vinyl you can always go another route with ease.
My stripes are stock. I have a classic. But I think they would really look good on that red. Funny I was thinking...Ive only seen other stinger yellows twice around here (both yellow jackets), but I've literally NOT seen a single red one around my area yet in the 2 years I've lived here near seattle. I know id remember that color. Its gorgeous.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
That looks good. Well done. I like it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Exactly what I was thinking. With the vinyl you can always go another route with ease.
My stripes are stock. I have a classic. But I think they would really look good on that red. Funny I was thinking...Ive only seen other stinger yellows twice around here (both yellow jackets), but I've literally NOT seen a single red one around my area yet in the 2 years I've lived here near seattle. I know id remember that color. Its gorgeous.
It looks red in the pictures but it's actually Hemi orange. Hope it will be an easy installation with the stripes, really digging them!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I mean i dont mean to sound offputting but are you SURE thats Hemi orange? That looks like Torred to me...

·
Registered
540 Posts
My gut reaction to the topic was to not like it. But damn that's a beauty!

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
I mean i dont mean to sound offputting but are you SURE thats Hemi orange? That looks like Torred to me...
Some cameras do not pick up orange well. I had a 1971 Charger R/T that was the original hemi orange and on most cameras it looked red.

I love the wrap idea. I wish there was someone close who could do that... Maybe there is someone in Chicago as I doubt there is anyone close in my area (Peoria, IL).

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Thanks! As I said, really happy with the result and easy to restore if I decide to sell it (god forbid) or wanna go in an another direction!
How did you attach the molding? Do you remember what the molding was originally for?

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Oh My! That just looks incredible. I really like it. I had a barracuda with a vinyl top and thought at the time it looked good. My other Mopars didn't and I thought they looked good too.

Good job - almost jealous I don't have a color where it would look good on it.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
It looks red in the pictures but it's actually Hemi orange. Hope it will be an easy installation with the stripes, really digging them!
Orange, red, whatever...lol, still looks awesome and obviously I'm a little biased to the high impact colors. :werd:

·
Registered
278 Posts
I'm 100% sure it's Hemi orange, as stated some cameras have a hard time capturing the orange paint and makes it red. :)

The moldings attaches with ad hesive that's pre installed. I'm not quite sure what it was originally made for but it was sold on a roll so I could cut it myself. Think it was meant to be some kind of exterior styling.

Thanks again for the compliments! Next up is side stripes and white tire letters, perhaps a fog light turn signal mod as well. :)

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
[/QUOTE] Thanks again for the compliments! Next up is side stripes and white tire letters, perhaps a fog light turn signal mod as well. :)[/QUOTE]

Cant wait to see the stripes on it. Def post when you do it. Ordering my white letters this week. When you do the turn signal mod, if you want I can write up what I got and where. Did my mod NO CUTTING of OEM wires. Under $125. My fog lights are now the inner grill lights (retro highbeams)

·
Registered
278 Posts
Thanks again for the compliments! Next up is side stripes and white tire letters, perhaps a fog light turn signal mod as well. :)[/QUOTE]

Cant wait to see the stripes on it. Def post when you do it. Ordering my white letters this week. When you do the turn signal mod, if you want I can write up what I got and where. Did my mod NO CUTTING of OEM wires. Under $125. My fog lights are now the inner grill lights (retro highbeams)[/QUOTE]

Will do for sure! It's a pretty easy installation (the turn signal mod) as I have already have had the front removed when I had to convert the car for meeting Swedish standards. The only thing I have a issue with is finding the amber covers as I don't seem to find any at all here in Sweden. :/

Do you have an online album with more pictures of your car? :)

·
Registered
425 Posts
The wrap seems to be a nice alternative . . . however you asked about the real deal and here she is . . . . This was my first mod. It has been on for almost 2 years. Haven't regretted it for a second. After much thought, I just recently added the chrome trim. No issues what so ever. The way they make them these days they will not leak. They are tucked in such a manner that no water can get in and since our cars do not have drip rails the water just rolls off anyway. Full disclosure - mine is garaged and not an everyday driver so that certainly helps. I get so many comments on it, lots of double takes. The "is that a vinyl top" look is pretty normal. It's not for everyone but if you want the old school look you might as well do it right.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts