Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2018 challenger R/T
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently shopping around for a R/T and test drove one and all the warning lights came on and wipers without turning them on. Is that common problem or it that a result of just needing new battery because of voltage issues? Thanks for any help on this.

·
Registered
2021 Challenger Scat Pack, 2019 Challenger SXT AWD
217 Posts
Never heard of that myself. Probably doesn’t need to be said, but I’d stay away from that one.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,209 Posts
I'm currently shopping around for a R/T and test drove one and all the warning lights came on and wipers without turning them on. Is that common problem or it that a result of just needing new battery because of voltage issues? Thanks for any help on this.
A vehicle with low voltage can manifest various issues, though I can't recall every reading about one manifesting all the symptoms you listed. Generally there can be for example a stability control system warning which will have a "low voltage" error associated with it.

My 2nd hand experience is if the engine is running and the alternator output falls off as the power level drops and the battery has to take up the slack and as it suffers from a power drop the car will manifest all kinds of untoward behavior. Warning lights. CEL. If the engine continues to be allowed to run it will then run rough and shortly after then die.

For wipers to come on when not turned on that's strange. My WAG is someone left the wipers last time the engine was on or someone reached in and turned the wipers on while the engine was off.

However, if you are sure the wipers came on without them being turned on, and the wiper control was set to "off", that's a behavior that would shout to me "walk away".

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
972 Posts
I've experienced similar anomalies an several vehicles when the battery was at end of life. A Ford Contour had the windshield wiper turn on and could not be turned off. Every time I have experienced a situation such as what you described, it happen immediately after the ignition was energized. The issues you described could be caused by battery failure but without previous experience with that specific vehicle I would be very leery.

·
Premium Member
2,989 Posts
I think the car is clearly saying "don't buy me".

That is quite a situation you had there. It would definitely scare me away from the car.

Reactions: Big Hazard
1 - 6 of 6 Posts