Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Challenger Scat Pack with the Uconnect® 8.4A/8.4AN. The radio button
(the left - volume/ mute) got banged and came off. The knob is two piece. The center part
came out, I think it's intact. Anyone know how to pop these back in? I'm assuming it
will pop back in? I can still adjust the volume because the outer knob Is still ok.
Other than cosmetic the only issue is I can't mute / turn off
system (fine by me) . If anyone knows how or if I can get the center knob back in let me
know please.

Also put a small tear in the leather, of the center console...just below where the lid
closes. Isn't there some goop like stuff that will fill it and come out about 80+% as
good as new ?

Ive attached 2 pics, but they can also be seem in very high resolution at:

http://www.aanning.com/ajissues/vol_knob/IMG_3081.JPG

http://www.aanning.com/ajissues/vol_knob/IMG_3082.JPG

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
What does the underside of the volume knob look like? If it has plastic tabs, it should just snap back in.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What does the underside of the volume knob look like? If it has plastic tabs, it should just snap back in.
I'm hoping so, but, want to ask for words of wisdom first. Also, I keep a pretty spotless car.
I found this spring, and grey rubber piece. The more I look at the back of the rubber piece,
it looks like there are two "contact points" which go down inside the hole, that also look like
two contact points. The spring? Who knows.
this being the case, I'll need the exact way it all goes in.

http://www.aanning.com/ajissues/vol_knob/IMG_3086.JPG

http://www.aanning.com/ajissues/vol_knob/IMG_3090.JPG

2 more pics, but they can also be seem in very high resolution the above:
Grey rubber contact, back side of volume knob (black object behind vol knob used to block sun, not related)

Attachments

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
Looks to me like the knob will snap right back in place, looks like all of the tabs are still intact.

What the heck happened?

·
Premium Member
9,429 Posts
The rubber piece makes contact with the circuit board, the rectangle in the rubber matches up to the rectangle in the plastic. The spring fits in there as well to keep the button out. Just stare at it and you'll figure it out.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The rubber piece makes contact with the circuit board, the rectangle in the rubber matches up to the rectangle in the plastic. The spring fits in there as well to keep the button out. Just stare at it and you'll figure it out.
Actually a littler earlier I confirmed 100% that the spring is NOT part of it at all. I still feel like the plastic knob is not long enough alone to have the rubber contact meet the board. I also do not see where it would align and hold in place. There is indeed a "push back" to the button...there may be a spring...but, it is not the one in the picture. The car is kept very very clean, I went over it again, with a fine tooth comb...not other pieces were found.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,975 Posts
Spitballing. Obviously piece with the two contacts goes in back of knob, knob snaps in place. Internal spring allows inner knob to push through small openings, pushing the contacts against the pcb contacts.

A Guy

EDIT: Picture of the other side of the white piece with the two contact pads on it? Fit in the two holes in end of knob to align? I'm thinking rotate while piece 180° from way it is in picture. line up rectangular hole to one in knob

IMG_3090.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Spitballing. Obviously piece with the two contacts goes in back of knob, knob snaps in place. Internal spring allows inner knob to push through small openings, pushing the contacts against the pcb contacts.

A Guy

EDIT: Picture of the other side of the white piece with the two contact pads on it? Fit in the two holes in end of knob to align? I'm thinking rotate while piece 180° from way it is in picture. line up rectangular hole to one in knob

View attachment 838249
Yes, that makes more sense. I had it Knob, Spring, then grey contact. From what you are saying, it would be knob, grey contact, then spring...with pushing...spring compresses allowing the grey contact to connect through center of spring. However,
1) I'm 100% certain the spring in the pic, is for something else...no doubts. This means if there is a spring, thatch not the one, and its not in the car (Scrubbed it down searching...and car stays damn near show room clean...could of been next to impossible to miss.
2) the "press action" of the knob...is under 1/8 inch...that a spring that short would not "reach"
Very good though, that method is as possible if not moreso than the route I was thinking.

So, either I'm missing a piece...or, it may well work, as is with only knob and grey contact. Thing is...I have to be very very sure. I'm thinking, once its popped in (assuming it will do so), getting it back out if wrong, may not be easy, and could be in a position to permanently be in off mode, till taken back out.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,975 Posts
I think the knob and contact pad is likely it. When the knob is in place, the contact sits just off the pcb. When you press the slight inner movement is enough to make contact, then the rubber piece springs back into place. Are there protrusions on the reverse side of the white piece that would keep it aligned to the knob while inserting?

A Guy

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think the knob and contact pad is likely it. When the knob is in place, the contact sits just off the pcb. When you press the slight inner movement is enough to make contact, then the rubber piece springs back into place. Are there protrusions on the reverse side of the white piece that would keep it aligned to the knob while inserting?

A Guy
There is noway, that grey contact gives enough resistance and spring back for the knob. Its the same design as on PC keyboards, which used a secondary method to give resistance.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,975 Posts
I'd think the internal 1/8" movement is what springs it back. A Guy

·
Premium Member
9,429 Posts
You can see the two rubber t its fit in the holes so the black contacts line up on the green board. If that spring fits inside the black knob and over the rubber piece then it does belong there, if not it's an odd coincidence to find it in the car at this time. It does look like a substantial spring but the button does need to stay in a non pressed position unless being actuated.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd think the internal 1/8" movement is what springs it back. A Guy
I'm not following. Stand alone, the small movement of the grey contact pad, is the correct distance, but its very very weak....would never move the knob.
Now, it you are assuming there is indeed a spring, which I have lost...then yes. a smaller weaker spring than what I had in the pic.

The one in the pic, goes to a pair of channel locks...I knew I had seen it before. It comes out on occasion on mine, I was using them recnelty in the car...and there were not on the channel locks...that mystery is solved.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,975 Posts
Lol, sorry, you mentioned a 1/8 action, I thought you meant the knob alone had this internal action. It's possible the taper of the knob, or a natural resistance of the way it fits is enough to keep it off the pcb when not pressed. Or the rubber piece is compressed when you press, and it "uncompressing" is enough to keep it just off the contacts. Ultimately, installing it as is may be the only test to be sure. A Guy

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,975 Posts
Look at rubber piece, 2 little posts sticking out, they fit in holes on pcb. When you press, contacts are recessed from the edge, the rubber piece uncompressing returns it to just off contacts.

IMG_3090.jpg

A Guy

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Look at rubber piece, 2 little posts sticking out, they fit in holes on pcb. When you press, contacts are recessed from the edge, the rubber piece uncompressing returns it to just off contacts.

View attachment 838329

Oh abosolulty the first thing I noticed were the small black contacts on the grey piece press into the pads on the PCB. So, I was just out there and "being in front of it" armed with what all you have said, has totally made me start seeing things your way. Several things:
The length of the knob and depth of the hole to the PCB are much much more "the same" as recalling from memory and the pics (a fact that matches your theory)....the one thing that just threw me...are the holes in the knobs back and the grey rubber contact. For me, I kept thinking this has to be for some push rod...or something. Looking at it, I can see, a push rod cant go "there", it would hit that bright lil LED in the center of the two contacts on the PCB.

THEN it hit me....DUH...these "holes" are not for any piece...they are FOR the LED....to shine through to the front face OF the knob!!
with these holes explained and see the dimensions are about the same (if not exact) ...everything you said is dead on. Specially since when I put the knob in, (halfway)...it slides FAR easier than I anticipated...in fact SO easy...guess what? Easy enough for the grey contact ...weak as it bounces back...to work correctly.

I think you called it. Now, my only concern is, the grey contact, just kind of rests on the knob, so lightly, I'm concerned it won't stay in place as I slide it in.
what I need is, some type of of "goo" to temporarily hold it, as I put it back...but would dissipate shortly there after. (Or temporarily put the car vertical headlites to the north star, during install)

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,975 Posts
No, put the grey piece in the hole, there are 2 small holes in the pcb for the two rubber posts on the piece. Just make sure it's right side up unless it's asymmetrical. I'd see where the rectangular hole in the knob is when it's right side up. Match that up to the rubber piece, and put the rubber piece in the hole that orientation. Then just insert the knob.

sKnob.JPG

A Guy

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No, put the grey piece in the hole, there are 2 small holes in the pcb for the two rubber posts on the piece. Just make sure it's right side up unless it's asymmetrical. I'd see where the rectangular hole in the knob is when it's right side up. Match that up to the rubber piece, and put the rubber piece in the hole that orientation. Then just insert the knob. A Guy
JESUS! how did I miss THAT >!?? you are correct...however, the size of all this ...the hole to the PCB...it same size as a cigarette lighter hole. I can not just place the grey rubber down on it...not without, long, narrow needle nose (which I happen to have).

Well, I definitely feel comfortable enough to give it a go....just not tonite...August in Dallas, its SO hot n humid, Im sweating inside the house, with a 5 ton Train AC set to 69 deg. !

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,975 Posts
I've been into electronics for most of my life, fixing walkman back in the day, and they used the same type contacts, as do most remote controls, and no springs. TV repair for 33 years before doing tech support and new repair triage. I'm sure if you can manage to get the piece in the hole, correct side up, you'll be good. The knob looks like it only goes one way, and the text on it shows which side is up in any case. A Guy

1 - 20 of 21 Posts