Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a used Vortech V-3 Si system that hasn't been installed. After calling Vortech with the serial #, they confirmed that when it originally sold new, the system was for a 2009 Challenger 6-speed 5.7, which is what I have. The guy who's selling the system however has an automatic 6.1 SRT, but here again, never installed it. The S/C Mounting Bracket Assembly has been removed from the original packaging, so there's no part number for me to check. My concern is not knowing if the bracket is correct for my 6-speed application.

Does anyone know if there's a way to visually identify which bracket it is?

Also, is there a way to modify an automatic application Vortech S/C Mounting Bracket Assembly, to work on the 6-speed, in case that's what it actually is?

Thanks for any help! I don't want to get stuck with something I won't be able to use.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Can anyone tell if this bracket is for a 6-speed?

·
Registered
181 Posts
What are your trying to put it in?

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's interesting. The Vortech website shows two different part numbers for the S/C Mounting Bracket, auto vs 5.7 manual, 4CL110-044 and 4CL110-054 respectively.

The power steering pump is different between the two cars.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
the system was for a 2009 Challenger 6-speed 5.7, which is what I have. The guy who's selling the system however has an automatic 6.1 SRT, but here again, never installed it.
I can see how that's confusing because the only 2009 six speed was a manual. According to my Vortech installation manual, the manual Challenger bracket is definitely a different part number than the automatic. Since the previous owner had an auto, I would have to assume that yours is the 4CL110-044 bracket for the auto; not a 4CL110-054 for the manual. Mine is a manual but I don't remember enough and can't see enough of it to tell you if there is any difference in appearance to your photo. You should email the photo to Vortech and see if they can tell you. However, the bracket is not the only difference on the parts list. Let me know if you'd like a copy of the parts lists.

Speaking of power steering pumps, swap out your fluid for Redline or Royal Purple after the S/C install. The extra torque can help heat up the fluid, especially if you go play in the twisties. It can lead to cooked fluid and a fried pump. I learned that the hard way.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I just bought the Vortech kit! Looks like everything checks out.

The bracket in the picture above is for a 6-speed :)

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Began installation today. Vortech's online instructions are absolutely useless for 6-speed applications. Online instructions with photos are primarily for automatic cars. Pretty much everything is different for the way the 6-speed bracket mounts to the head. Good news is I figured it out. All pulleys line up perfectly. Gapped the new one step colder sparkplugs to .030

Looking forward to completing the install later in the week!

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Fun! Sounds like you have a handle on things but you can copy my printed instructions if you need to.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Sooooooo jealous! I officially started saving for the Vortech today. Hopefully not too far out. Congrat's Cannonballcobb, let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sooooooo jealous! I officially started saving for the Vortech today. Hopefully not too far out. Congrat's Cannonballcobb, let us know how it turns out.
Well, I gotta say do whatever it takes to get Supercharged! I am so stoked on how my Vortech turned out. The increase in torque is incredible and the top end rush seems to never end. Drove her to a car show this morning and she's a show stopper too! Should have done the blower a long time ago, but as they say better late than never... Now I have to start saving for tires, the rears aren't going to last very long at all lol.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Well, I gotta say do whatever it takes to get Supercharged! I am so stoked on how my Vortech turned out. The increase in torque is incredible and the top end rush seems to never end. Drove her to a car show this morning and she's a show stopper too! Should have done the blower a long time ago, but as they say better late than never... Now I have to start saving for tires, the rears aren't going to last very long at all lol.
That's awesome!! I thought I had one within my grasp on "another" forum for a pretty good deal but looks like the seller's working out a trade with someone instaed so back to saving...again! I'm happy for you, you're car is one of my favorites. Keep on roastin em.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Whoo!! Nice! Did you install it yourself? If so, any issues or tips?

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks! Yes, I did everything myself, in my garage, car on ramps. Tips? Oh man, where to start...

First thing is Vortech's online directions aren't very accurate. The problem is there's one set of directions for all LX model Hemi's, both 5.7 and 6.1, auto and manual, with incomplete information, depending on model. Once you understand that, you have to begin figuring out many of the specifics for yourself. For example, the instructions begin by having you remove the power steering pulley and replacing it with the supplied flange and Vortech pulley... Just one problem, that step doesn't pertain to all models, and they don't tell you that. See what I mean?

Anyway, I think the best advice I can give is to take your time, cover your fenders with blankets, make a cardboard cutout to place in front of the radiator so you don't damage the fins. Also, consider using a bigger fuel pump as opposed to using the supplied voltage booster for the stock pump. I installed a used 392 pump (thanks BWD) this saves a lot of wiring and I think is easier. For your 6.1, you may need a bigger pump still, the Arrington is a great pump to consider API Competition Single Pump Fuel System - shopHEMI.com

Lastly, Flat Top was a big help with giving advice. Here's a really good write up he did on his Vortech install, just disregard how his blower belt is routed. http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f18/vortech-sc-install-47597/index8.html#post724839

·
Super Moderator
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
Thanks bro. I knew very well you would like the umphff Vortech kicks out. They been around a long time making good safe power for the Hemi.
I have ramped the V-3 for all its worth, having it maxed out right now. Any more it will go static and just make heat. Next step Vortech YSI
Glad I could help, and thanks for the extra crank pins you sent back.
Next member who needs to barrow the jig for pinning your crank, I Got It. and
Happy to let a member barrow the jig.
Yea, I had my blower cog belt over instead of under,,, i moved it..... lol lol

I have to say a blower install is a great mod, and a lot of fun If and i mean IF you have worked on car for at least a hobby and have the tools to do so.

Cannonball you did a good job man, and you didnt have a kit to start with either from what I understand. Heck you had to get some of the pieces together.
I was confident the 392 pump was fine for where your at in cu and cam profile.
Congrats
FlatTop

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Gene! Quick question, my start up boost tune from Johan put me at 10.5 A/F at WOT. I data logged yesterday and he sent back to me the tweaked tune. I'm now at 11.3-11.5 at WOT, do you think that's still safe?

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Congratulations! Fun, ain't it? Yep, tires will now be an issue but it's a fun issue to have.

Better to be too rich than too lean but at 10 I'd be worried about cylinder wash. The mid elevens are probably safe enough. If you keep it in the mid elevens watch your spark plugs periodically for carbon build up. You can pick up a few more ponies by going a little leaner and still be safe. Just don't get too greedy and push the envelope too much. Maintain a safety margin and you'll have mile after mile with a silly grin on your face.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts