Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Short story, installed vortech system, loaded e-mailed tune, drove 5 miles started to run rough. Used a borescope to see a broken ring land on # 3, pulled engine and found 1,3,5,7, & #8 cylinder with broken ring lands :SM002:(see attached photo), Was Recommended to Performance Werks Racing and ordered a forged short block, Now its back in and running :), putting it around town without getting into boost and hope to have it to CarbConn in Kirkland Wa soon. 28 tooth pulley on the way :D

What should I expect from this h.p. wise, anything I should be prepared on braking next

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
emailed tune from the company I purchased the kit from, Didn't even have time to start data logging before the damage was already done.

·
Registered
528 Posts
How much psi were you running? If less than 8psi, you got some serious heat, detonation, or pre-ignition issues going on. Are you running the same tune? If so, stop driving!! Although PWR builds some potent motors, they aren't bullet proof. I would flat bed you car to a reputable tuner before you do any further damage. Your stock pistons should have been able to handle <=8psis.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was the out of the box vortech setup, already planned on trailering for the 4hr drive to get it tuned.

·
Premium Member
8,295 Posts
Wow...5 miles, what did the shop that sold youthe tune say? Either the tune was waaaaay off or it was not installed correctly. Glad to hear you are up and running again

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
That looks as though the damage was done BEFORE the super charger was installed!! I cannot see even a terrible tune breaking almost all the ringlands in 5 miles...unless you forgot your foot was to the floor the whole time!!

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,918 Posts
That's a nasty looking picture for starters and you say this happened within 5 miles... I have no comment on any other questions until you give us an idea of what you had PWR due for your motor please share so we can help assist or point you in the right direction. :)

Short story, installed vortech system, loaded e-mailed tune, drove 5 miles started to run rough. Used a borescope to see a broken ring land on # 3, pulled engine and found 1,3,5,7, & #8 cylinder with broken ring lands :SM002:(see attached photo), Was Recommended to Performance Werks Racing and ordered a forged short block, Now its back in and running :), putting it around town without getting into boost and hope to have it to CarbConn in Kirkland Wa soon. 28 tooth pulley on the way :D

What should I expect from this h.p. wise, anything I should be prepared on braking next

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've seen some bad detonation with the stock vortech tune on an srt but this is the first rt I've seen. On the srt it was only about 5 miles on it with 91 octane. I think methanol injection on all supercharged 5.7,6.1 engines would be a good decision. Sucks when this happens

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
28 tooth= 10lbs + or minus... a lbs.. 28 28 or 28 /32? either way it should have handled 10 10 lbs at light throttle even on a canned tune unless you had some 87 octane.. even then, did ya leave at 100% the second you left? Scary... 28 28 i think could reach 12+ lbs.. you didnt due the srt balancer did ya? i think that drops a lbs to 1.5lbs .. with your setup I would consider that..
as far as your hp, on a forged botem end.. you could get 600 rwhp but ditch the boostapump and grab a fore hat setup or you will run leaner than that chick on Burn notice... Bigger engine, larger than 6.4 you will loose efficiancy on that blower.. assuming its a v3si

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
could not have happened before supercharger, ran fine before and developed the missfire after the first run with charger installed. Also all plugs that came out of engine before charger were fine, and after the runnability was noticed I pulled plugs and found ground electrode smashed into center electrode. All is up and running and am babying it (nothing over 2500 rpms and no boost) and have an appt so get dyno tuned at carb connection in Seattle area.

Have not tried to seek any refund on anything because I did not follow instructions that were sent and did not data log on the first run, only did 1 roll on and that was enough to do the damage, data logging were pointless after what happened.

Now that the bottom end is forged I now have a 10psi pulley that I need to install before dyno tune :)

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
That looks as though the damage was done BEFORE the super charger was installed!! I cannot see even a terrible tune breaking almost all the ringlands in 5 miles...unless you forgot your foot was to the floor the whole time!!
I like your version !

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Seems like the regions on the pistons where the intake valves vent in are a preferential stress area. I'm guessing if the pistons are running hot, the thermal shock of cool intake air isn't doing them any favors? Maybe the piston material should optimally be a few ticks toward more ductile?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
confirmed on dyno, 29 degrees of timing at near 15 afr

·
Registered
86 Posts

lookn at the marking on the pistons, it seems as it was waaaaay lean...whod of thunk an out of tune SC could do that....doh...:)

·
Banned
1,655 Posts
I saw Your car there on friday, bad ass!!!. But it did sound like absolute ch!t when he ran the caned tune (for a second then he killed it) Your in good hands with Alex. Ya know that the B5 blue there is getting your core?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Alex showed me on the data log where the car was getting 30 degrees of timing and 15 afr, that confirmed what I had thought. I saw Chaz's car there on the dyno when I picked mine up. He will be very happy with his outcome. I found it to be a small world when I spoke to Andy at Performance Works Racing that my core would go back there to get rebuilt, then come directly back here. Then to see his car there when I got mine was just wierd. :).....already layin the rubber down around town here.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts