Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have now been supercharged by High Horse Performance in Smyrma, DE with a Vortech V3 Si....and I couldnt be more satisfied!!!

this might get long but there will be a lot of facts, pics and depending on size, some videos.

In April HHP ran a promotion....'tell us why, if you have a stock 392 Challenger, you deserve a Vortech supercharger. So, I emailed back figuring WTH, I never win anything but it only costs an email to enter. I sent a bunch of info about how much I race at the track and said, 'if you want the supercharger (SC) to get some exposure, my car is no garage queen and its not going to be parked at car shows with the hood up bragging about dyno numbers, its going to be thrashed at the track on a very regular basis'. A month later I got an email saying I was a finalist and to provide some more info....now Im thinking 'so your saying theres a chance'.....Then I went to the MSHS race at MDIR, and after a trip from hell towing (halfway) to the track, and finishing the trip in the car while my truck sat at a Dodge dealer, I found out I was selected. I have to say at that time my enthusiasm was muted because I was thinking about my tow and repair bills that were coming. When I got home it really started to sink in that HHP had picked me from what they said were hundreds of emails!!!

THE BUILD

I brought my car to HHP on a Wednesday in mid June....trailered it all the way successfully from NY state. The following Saturday I went down and the car was back together and all that was left to do was the dyno runs/tuning. A buddy went down with me and we got to watch 2 half pulls to make sure everything was buttoned up, then 3 full pulls. Josh Schwartz (more on the HHP staff in a bit) ran the car and made tuning changes, and each pull resulted in about 25 more HP. The baseline dyno run was 466 HP and when it was all said and done, the tune Josh S finished with, the car had picked up 175 HP! I care more about the increase in HP, not the actual numbers because every dyno is different, weather etc....but the day the baseline was run and the day the tuning was done the DA was only about 150' difference. So the car started at 466HP/461TQ, and finished with 641HP/553TQ!! The Vortech unit that was installed is a model V3 Si, water intercooled. Some other hardware/work done by HHP included a new PCM, (I already had a Diablo tuner), Mishimoto 180 T-stat, Siemens 680cc/65lb injectors, Dayco belt tensioner, PG Competition single pump 400lph drop in fuel pump, Mopar 3 bar map sensor, and a fresh set of NGK plugs.

TESTING

The following week was an MSHS race at Cecil Dragway that HHP was sponsoring. I went for the Friday testing session and then the Saturday racing. These were the maiden voyages down the track. So, given it was a new car basically, I went to the line thinking 'Im just going to drive like I always do and see where I'm at'....well, that run was a mess, spun at the line, car revved up so much faster I hit the rev limiter before shifting to second...AND hit it again before shifting to 3rd....and still with 3 screwups in one run I ran a new PB of 12.30.....thats when I really knew this would be fun. I ran 8 passes, never spun again, never hit the limiter again and at the end of the day had a best of [email protected] This for now still stands as the PB as of the writing of this thread....mainly because I have not seen DA below 2500' since. After the track closed Josh S (who was one very busy dude with all the clients he had at the track) took my tuner and ran thru the data logs to make sure everything was looking good. He gave it his blessing....saying I 'could' add a little more timing....but I decided that if he was satisfied then I was satisfied. This thing is supposed to not only be fast but hopefully durable. As of right now I am still running on the last tune written on the last dyno pull. This is a 93 pump gas tune BTW.

RACING

Since install, and including the 8 test and tune runs, I have put 41 passes on the car at 5 different races. The MSHS race day... 4 time trials, a first round loss in the index and a 4th round loss in the bracket. I have 3 street nights at Lebanon Valley (home track) in the Street Stick class and won the night the second time out (put HHP and Vortech into victory lane). The track prep on Wednesday nights is not quite up to par compared to their Sunday points day prep. The DA for those 3 nights has been as high as 3250 and stiffling hot/humid. On days like this in the past I would be dialing 12.85/12.9.....these 3 nights I dialed 12.10 and 12.05. I went for a Pro day on a Sunday to get some better DA (slightly at 2500') and track prep. On the 3 Wednesdays my best 60' was 1.82, on Sunday I had a few 1.7s. Also ran my first couple 11 second runs at Lebanon including a second best run of [email protected] on that Sunday. For middle of summer runs, this car has easily picked up .8 tenths and in some cases a full second. Also, in some cases given that its a street night, some of these runs have been made within 20 minutes of each other....This Vortech is being put thru the paces.

DAILY DRIVING

Along with the 41 track passes I have put almost 3,000 miles on the car. Everything from my 60 mile one way highway commute (80 MPH, cruise control getting 25MPG) to around town and the full gambit. The fun factor is better from stop light to stop light. The manners when I want manners are spot on. When cruising around the highway you wouldnt even know what is living under the hood. There is no audible noise, no change that I can see with gas mileage, and checking my performance gauges...my IATs are about 8-12 degrees over ambient (climbs to 15-20 over around town), coolant temp holds steady at 185 regardless of outside temps (190ish around town) and oil temps are right at where they always were (205-215 depending on driving type). Also....and this is VERY IMPORTANT to me living in the communist state of NY....I just had an inspection and the emissions passed with flying colors and there have been zero CELs.

THE HIGH HORSE PERFORMANCE STAFF

in chronological order of who I dealt with

Josh W....simply a great guy to deal with. He more or less ran this promotion. After being selected he answered every question I had . He has also become (perhaps to his chagrin) my liaison since the install with any questions that have arisen since the install. He has replied to my texts even when I have sent them at 8pm on a Wednesday night....even if he didnt have an answer he passed them on to get answers. That is invaluable considering all the 'off hour' racing done (Wednesday nights and weekends).

Beccy...she took over for the details and ordering the parts for the build and collected my info (like my VIN/PCM numbers etc etc), and once again, all and any questions I had leading up to me dropping off the car were answered very promptly and completely

Tracy....although I have had maybe the least personal contact with Tracy, he is the man that did the bulk of the actual mechanical build. We did talk quite a bit at the testing day. His work from the customer perspective is more behind the scenes but its also the most crucial. Not a scratch added to the car, not a single loose fitting/clamp/pushpin/screw/new rattle or squeak. Just a very thorough and meticulous assembly of all the components. I was completely expecting something loose or forgotten (the Vortech install instructions for a 392 Charger is 65 pages long) but have not found a single thing

Josh S....the magic. Tuning, keeping the power levels safe yet substantial. He is the man who tends to get the glory being the owner but really its his team that make things roll. He gets enough accolades but really is a super nice guy who is patient with his first time supercharger owner.

Overall, I am now a full on HHP fanboy.....and I dont become a fanboy of anyone or anything very easily. And the reason is that everyone I interacted with is full on into these cars. You can see/hear their enthusiasm in your project and it really comes thru in the final result. From start to finish this has been an amazing process and I am looking forward to doing more business with these guys/gals even though they are 220 miles from my house.

I was hoping to have this write up done sooner but HHP ran a 'Guess the horsepower' contest so I had to kinda keep things under wraps. Also, I was hoping to be at the 50 pass number before posting and I might have if not for a rain out last Wednesday and almost 100 degree weather all weekend (Im not doing that unless I have to) and this weeks Wednesday the track is closed for a scheduled off week from points.

I will use this thread for the rest of the season. As I told HHP, its not going to be a fluff piece, this will show the good, the bad, and the ugly. Pretty much like my diary of my first race season with an M6 ScatPack. I will be as upfront as I can and for anyone that might be on the fence regarding this Vortech setup and looking to find a shop to build/tune hopefully there will be some good, real world info to come from it.....and future posts will be shorter!

NOW FOR SOME PICS AND HOPEFULLY VIDS OVER THE NEXT COUPLE POSTS

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
438 Posts
Holy shit. Rad write up dude. I thought that the 392 was not an engine that should be supercharged due to internals?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Is that with 6lbs of boost?

I been wanting forced induction but can't afford it lol

But congratulations on being the winner

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Acid. It is true there are claims on the internet about pistons breaking ring lands. I don't know of anyone personally but who knows. That's why I say I will try and keep this thread updated for the season. I am only at about 6-6.5lbs of boost. And Josh S has put a tune in that should make this a safe combo and I have some faith in HHP that they don't want to see their stuff blowing up. All I can say is 3,000 miles, 41 passes, one emissions test and so far so good

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I havent updated because due to weather and the way the track schedule has shaken out, I havent gotten as much racing as I had hoped. The stick class ended at the end of August with 3 rainouts in a row and I missed the one race that didnt get rained out because I was on my way to Detroit for the MSHS race. I managed to finish third in the points for the season....this despite the fact that there were 17 races scheduled, 5 of them got rained out, leaving 12 races....and I missed 4 of them because of SC install and going to MSHS races.

The DA had held consistent (2500-3000) as it had all summer for the races Ive been to, so my times werent really changing....which is a good thing. The car is still pretty consistent running brackets with the Vortech, even the occasional hot lap there isnt much change. That was until the very end of August (31st)

I was having trouble with my Diablo, it would let me record logs, but I couldnt get them off the diablo because there was some corrupted file. Diablo couldnt clear it so I was forced to get a new one. Since then I have been able to log and Josh at HHP has been able to review them

So, in chronological order....to make it easier to follow

Aug 18....I got new drag radials after cords showing after a race (so they were pretty used up)

Aug 31....went to a Protree and Gamblers race. The DA had finally given me a break and it ranged from +1220 to +1720. With a combo of better air, new DRs and better track prep (the prep is always better for the day races vs night races) I was able to set new PBs of 1.661 60' and [email protected] That day I was able to run 3 passes that were all better than my previous PB of 11.79....and also got my first ever 1.6x 60' times 3 times

I ran in two more races, was finally able to datalog and sent Josh the logs and he sent me back a new tune....then more rain....then finally I went to two more races

Sep 27.....this was a friday night race. The prep wasnt great but it was a warm up for the next race 2 days later so I went to make a few passes and check out the new tune. I was hoping for a little more but I was only able to get down to 11.83 that night. that run also had my best 60' time of 1.714 of the night.

so I was kinda shaking my head, hoping I would run faster, and then I went to the race 2 days later

Sep 29....DA was at +1040 and I was at a race that turned into a big cluster F....which I must say is very rare for this track. Not sure why, it was just one of those days. They only gave everyone one timetrial, and the way the TT worked out, I was running first round only 20 minutes later. I got destroyed at the tree and lost first round....but those two runs were both PBs. The TT, every increment was a PB (except MPH). The elimination was my second best at every increment....so here is the slip. My other run was an 11.690

The car is now up to 85 runs and just under 6,000 miles with the Vortech.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well....that 11.58 didn't last long as a PB. Went today and the DA was full on fall mode. Very crowded day but I couldn't pass up the weather. Reaction times were lame but it was a protree (same as MSHS tree). Here are my 3 new best runs. Once again set PBs at every increment. 1.620 60', 11.367 @ 122.25 and for 1/8th mile [email protected]

IMG_20191005_171512948.jpg

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Great deal you got, and High Horse Performance is absolutely the best!!! I had never heard of the Vortech until until HHP ran this contest, but I don't think I would have gone that route because I have a Shaker. I'm hoping to get a little more giddyup out of my HHP build once I'm finished with it so I could give you a run for the money, but since I'm footing the entire bill for mine, it's been in the works since I got the car new, but it should be done in the next week or two. It's too bad we don't live closer so we could go down the track together. There are too many ricers around here. If you're ever out west, shoot me a PM and maybe we can hit the track together. I won't be heading east since I don't have a trailer.

·
Registered
463 Posts
So how many psi are you pushing?

You need a camera guy or girl to rec your runs lol

·
Registered
949 Posts
Thanks Acid. It is true there are claims on the internet about pistons breaking ring lands. I don't know of anyone personally but who knows. That's why I say I will try and keep this thread updated for the season. I am only at about 6-6.5lbs of boost. And Josh S has put a tune in that should make this a safe combo and I have some faith in HHP that they don't want to see their stuff blowing up. All I can say is 3,000 miles, 41 passes, one emissions test and so far so good
So how many psi are you pushing?

You need a camera guy or girl to rec your runs lol

I am only at about 6-6.5lbs of boost.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts

Idk how I missed it lol

Whatever you attempted to post above the text didn't work.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hahaha I couldn't have said it better myself Big Swede

Great deal you got, and High Horse Performance is absolutely the best!!! I had never heard of the Vortech until until HHP ran this contest, but I don't think I would have gone that route because I have a Shaker. I'm hoping to get a little more giddyup out of my HHP build once I'm finished with it so I could give you a run for the money, but since I'm footing the entire bill for mine, it's been in the works since I got the car new, but it should be done in the next week or two. It's too bad we don't live closer so we could go down the track together. There are too many ricers around here. If you're ever out west, shoot me a PM and maybe we can hit the track together. I won't be heading east since I don't have a trailer.
Actually Gila I would think the Vortech would work perfectly with a Shaker. Better than a Procharger anyway just because of intake air placement. I don't see anything on my install that would interfere with the shaker.

And I had heard of Vortechs because I have several friends with Mustangs and Vortech is pretty popular with that group. Vortech just doesn't have a huge footprint on the 392s and they are trying to change that. I for one couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Hahaha I couldn't have said it better myself Big Swede

Actually Gila I would think the Vortech would work perfectly with a Shaker. Better than a Procharger anyway just because of intake air placement. I don't see anything on my install that would interfere with the shaker.

And I had heard of Vortechs because I have several friends with Mustangs and Vortech is pretty popular with that group. Vortech just doesn't have a huge footprint on the 392s and they are trying to change that. I for one couldn't be happier.
It could be installed in a Shaker, but the scoop would no longer be functional. The air duct from the scoop to the filter box would need to be removed. That's why I went with the Magnuson.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It could be installed in a Shaker, but the scoop would no longer be functional. The air duct from the scoop to the filter box would need to be removed. That's why I went with the Magnuson.
Aah, gotcha. I was comparing to other centrifugal. That's cool that Maggie's can go to the shaker airbox

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Aah, gotcha. I was comparing to other centrifugal. That's cool that Maggie's can go to the shaker airbox
Here's how the setup with the Magnuson looks fully installed, with the air duct from the scoop coming into the air box.
The intercooler is in front of the radiator, and only the pulley on the super charger is visible.
https://www.challengertalk.com/attachments/68059-jpg.975224/

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have been sitting on a Procharger kit for my 11 SRT8 for more than 6 months. Have been debating installing it but have had heard so many horror stories about grenading ring lands on the 392. Toyed with the idea of just selling the car and possibly looking for a '15 or '16 low mile HC which are beginning to become available in the mid 40's around here. To be clear, I am not looking to go drag racing. Been there, done that, have gone low 9's in my 45+ year old highly modified Pontiacs (Naturally aspirated). I like my ride and just want some extra grunt for road tripping and highway cruising. Can envision having some fun from a roll and don't want to get lunched by some spoiled kid driving daddy's high end turbo European import. Think I'm going to pick a weekend and just install the kit shooting for 6-7 PSI. Looking to end up around 550 WHP. Worse case scenario, if I lunch the 392, I'll end up with a forged 426 bottom end and then I can really turn up the wick on the boost. :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've been looking at doing this to my 2018 T/A 392 for a while, really happy to see everything is working well. You are a bad influence haha. Wanted to ask why you didn't go E85? Also do you have any drive line upgrades?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts