·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
can you specifically grind one for a VVT 5.7 with a different LSA than the factory 115? In other words, a brand new cam, not a regrind?

What exactly makes it untuneable? Is it the control of the VVT? If so, how about if the VVT functionality were limited or removed? (part of Stu's post talks about the possibility of removing that functionalityas an option)

I don't know why Inertia would come out with a cam that is not tuneable, they could sell a few at first but once word got out about the lack of tuneability for it, sales would plummet on that particular cam. Just doesn't make business sense.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Yes, arrington has had billet cores over a year now. I can easily do a 112lsa. The vvt motors do not allow be table adjustment making it very difficult to tune for the low manifold vacuum associated with high overlap camshafts. There are a couple of guys that should be able to tune it, but outside of that, it will be a nightmare.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Andy,

How can all 6.1's and the pre 2008 5.7's be tuneable at low vacuum? What is different about the tables in the computer of a VVT motor? Is the software that different between the two?

This is very frustrating and makes me want a 6.1 SRT jsut for the ability to get the old musclar lope...

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
I can understand "missing" the old lope at idle, but I remember why it loped.

Maybe I embrace the Hemi Gen3's too much. Many laugh at a 5.7L with VVT and MDS, but I really am enjoying it. 375hp, smooth idle, 25-27mpg on the highway, and I'm liking it.

They new 392's are VVT, and the perfect "BIG" motor to me would be the AL 426 with VVT and MDS.

I don't miss the the "disadvantages" of "old school" hp at all.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Imagine the business one of those "couple" of tuners could do if they dialed one spec cam in, dialed it back about 10% (for a safety margin) and sold the tune either to a company like Arrington or PWR (or similar) as part of a package, or direct to the customer. If there really is only a couple of tuners that can do it, I'd imagine they'd have the market cornered.

·
Premium Member
3,548 Posts
The vvt motors do not allow be table adjustment making it very difficult to tune for the low manifold vacuum associated with high overlap camshafts.
They have been making cam phasers for the Ford and Chevy VVT engines for years. The cam phaser limits the cam timing to 20* and thus puts larger cams into play. Without the cam phaser, I could see the problem with programming, but with it, programming become much more manageable, no? I saw one company not long ago gearing up for Hemi applications but none have hit the market yet. They already have them for the 6.2L GM motors.

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
Given you have a 6.1, you have more options than the 5.7's with VVT. Suggest you give Arrington a call. There are some other good options out there as well.

HemiSam

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I am sorry for this next question, but can you get rid of the VVT like you can w/ MDS?

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
There's some R&D underway but nothing definitive that I've seen. We should see some breakthroughs this year. The 392 having VVT is a good thing for us 5.7 folks.

HemiSam

·
Registered
266 Posts
The problem isnt the VVT. Its all in the VE Tables.
Don't the phasers need to be modified to reduce the range of the cam during it's max adv and ret to keep from clashing the valves and piston tops. These are out already for the new 302 coyote and the LS3 w/ VVT? I just read a Comp Cam article on the 302.

Marion

1 - 19 of 19 Posts