Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing some looking for results of cams for the VVT 5.7, I was just going to put in a 6.4 cam but having built a few olds motors over the years and some communication with Dvae from MM confirms that I would be leaving some power on the table with the 6.4 cam.

I am most likely going to have MM do a cam for me but while looking around and searching for results I have noticed very little consistancy for results. I see some reviews for the comp 274, factory 6.4, and MM custom grind, but other than that I can not find much. I do see comp cams has a 260vvt cam and it seems it may be a good canadate. It also bothers me that no one has any real track times for a r/t with a 6.4 cam, or any other cam that I can find.

I already have a 6.4 intake, srt shortys with magnaflow mids and srt cat back. I have a set of PWR eagle mean street heads and plan to add a larger TB and resonator delete of some sort. I just need to nail down a cam.

Any reviews of vvt cams that anyone could speak about would be great. Track times would be great too.

These things arent cheap so I want to choose something with all the consideration I can give it, I fear that it may be a case of not being able to find examples due to the short timeline these have been out.

1,931 Posts
Dave Weber at MM has a great reputation among the Mopar forums for grinding custom cams. He can fit the cam to what you want. Looking at dynos with the 6.4 cam it makes power but only on the top. I think some people are going to be sad when they get to the track and cant get a decent 60' which kills the ET.

Stay away from the 274. It is too big for the 5.7 unless you modify it heavily.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your right Dave does appear to be the go to guy for this, and also right about the 274 cam, I am currious about the 260/266 [whichever they consider it] cam .

·
Super Moderator
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
Doing some looking for results of cams for the VVT 5.7, I was just going to put in a 6.4 cam but having built a few olds motors over the years and some communication with Dvae from MM confirms that I would be leaving some power on the table with the 6.4 cam.

I am most likely going to have MM do a cam for me but while looking around and searching for results I have noticed very little consistancy for results. I see some reviews for the comp 274, factory 6.4, and MM custom grind, but other than that I can not find much. I do see comp cams has a 260vvt cam and it seems it may be a good canadate. It also bothers me that no one has any real track times for a r/t with a 6.4 cam, or any other cam that I can find.

I already have a 6.4 intake, srt shortys with magnaflow mids and srt cat back. I have a set of PWR eagle mean street heads and plan to add a larger TB and resonator delete of some sort. I just need to nail down a cam.

Any reviews of vvt cams that anyone could speak about would be great. Track times would be great too.

These things arent cheap so I want to choose something with all the consideration I can give it, I fear that it may be a case of not being able to find examples due to the short timeline these have been out.

I will be doing a Change soon from the 392 cam. Don't get me wrong, it made steam. Low 11s. Looking at high tens.
So a before and after is coming soon.
I will probally try two seperate cams, just to see what works best for me and makes the tq I'm looking for. All depends what the rollers show us. I then will have a 392 cam and the one I don't use for sale.
FlatTop

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Theres a cam and pushrod with reliefs package comming out early next year that supposedly yeild better gaines than what cams out now show.

Either wait do a off the shelf cam or do a custom cam from mm.

Only options now man

1,931 Posts
I will be doing a Change soon from the 392 cam. Don't get me wrong, it made steam. Low 11s. Looking at high tens.
So a before and after is coming soon.
I will probally try two seperate cams, just to see what works best for me and makes the tq I'm looking for. All depends what the rollers show us. I then will have a 392 cam and the one I don't use for sale.
FlatTop
Did your stroker use the OEM 392 cam or after market?...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well for the money i spent for the whole thing i really did expect more gain but I guess i need long tubes to open up that air flow! But it's all good, still a decent gain.

So here is what went in:
Inertia big valve heads for the 5.7
Crazy jay plus camshaft(VVT) with phase limiter

Here is the dyno results.
Back in june the car was at 336.75 rwhp and 367.72 tq. On Wednesday, with the heads and cam, 375.56 rwhp and 386.53 tq. Not bad but i want moreeeeee lol.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Dave Weber at MM has a great reputation among the Mopar forums for grinding custom cams. He can fit the cam to what you want. Looking at dynos with the 6.4 cam it makes power but only on the top. I think some people are going to be sad when they get to the track and cant get a decent 60' which kills the ET.

Stay away from the 274. It is too big for the 5.7 unless you modify it heavily.

What have you seen to lead you to believe the 392 cam does not make enough low end to provide a decent 60ft? The dyno numbers posted by members that have done this swap show a very small drop in torque below around 3500 rpm, but beyond that the 392 cam made more power and torque.

Going down a track, an engine is spending nearly all of the time above 4,000 rpm. I fail to see how the 392 cam will not improve the 1/4 mile Times vs the stock cam. The problem the 5.7 has in stock form is the lazy performance in the higher rpm range.

I have not read any posts of disappointed 392 cam members.

·
Super Moderator
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
Whats up Gunpowder !!!!
I just used the stock 392 cam.
Low end, I ran 1:54 60ft opposed to the 1:58 with the old stock 5.7 cam combo. Not bad. Once it leaves on the green, it never drops below 4500rpm all the way to the finish line.
Its not a bad cam really, and yes I hear theres better and thats why I will be swaping out cams in another month or so. The new cams I go with will need the phaser thats already installed, that I knew didnt need. Just looking for data.
I will do the cam swap and dyno runs just to see gains or loss, before I go the YSI blower and pump 16lbs to the motor.
Its a PIA to be floping cams in and out for giggles so one or even 2 at max.
FlatTop

1 - 13 of 13 Posts