Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have a 2011 challenger 5.7 6 speed manual with STP. The guy i bought the cat from said that the engine was not a vvt. Is this possible or is it because is a6 speed? I want to put a bigger cam n such in but not sure what to order. Thank for any info. Oh and now my trans is sticking in first gear at random times... any ideas on that?!?!?!?!

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
3,734 Posts
I think you are confusing VVT with MDS.

Reactions: sr71cbx

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,344 Posts
All +2009 challengers are equipped with VVT (Variable Valve Timing) but only the automatics are equipped with MDS (Multi Displacement System). If you want a low budget bigger cam than all you need is a 6.4 cam from a manual. I swapped a 6.2 cam in my SC manual 5.7 and all said and done I was well below $1K.

If your trans sticks in first it could be your input shaft is not properly lubricated. The fix is to remove the trans and apply the correct lubricant.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
8,619 Posts
So i have a 2011 challenger 5.7 6 speed manual with STP. The guy i bought the cat from said that the engine was not a vvt. Is this possible or is it because is a6 speed? I want to put a bigger cam n such in but not sure what to order. Thank for any info. Oh and now my trans is sticking in first gear at random times... any ideas on that?!?!?!?!
As has been pointed out, the 6 speeds don’t have MDS, which sounds like what the previous owner was referencing. All newer Hemi engines have VVT, despite auto or manual transmission.

The VVT tech eliminated the need for an EGR valve. If the engine doesn’t have an EGR, it’s got VVT.

Could the 1st gear thing be due to the Skip Shift tech? Possibly malfunctioning? IDK on that one...

Reactions: ChallyTatum

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
I have a 2009 R/T with same issue. Trans sticking in first gear is lubrication on the input shaft. The slave cylinder is hydraulic and doesn't have the pressure to disengage the clutch. basically it sticks and clutch wont disengage. Sometimes I could have my clutch pressed to the floor and the car would still drive forward in gear. Its hard to get it to come of gear when it happens because it binds up. There was a TSB for it years ago but if you're out of warranty then they won't do anything.

·
Registered
119 Posts
If you use STP with VVT or MDS you will have a sticky mess!:p:D:LOL::cool::devilish:
All kidding aside, what Pioneer 4x4 said. You do not have MDS with a manual trans engine. Also, what Chally Tatum said, install a cam from a 6.4L manual trans engine, cheap swap and VVT is used, and will run strong.
Keep us posted!(y)

Reactions: Toxic pearl
1 - 6 of 6 Posts