Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 28,000 miles, I installed a catch can in my 3.6L Challenger, and I've been amazed at how much oil it has been catching; it's nearly half full every thousand miles. That means I have 28,000 miles worth of oily crud built up in my instate and valve train. Lovely.

What recommendations do folks have for what I should do to try and clean this out? I've heard both good (mostly) and bad (not as much) about Seafoam, but I wanted to see what others here thought would be best.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Install a darn catch can. Like immediately. Do not hesitate. They work.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Well, don't get all too concerned about it... Seafoam is a good product. Lucas also makes good products. But really, you're ok and don't lose any sleep over it.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
8,515 Posts
Ounces of Prevention vs. Pounds of Cure

Your concern for the condition of your engine is understandable but unnecessary IMHO. There shouldn't be any significant buildup of burnt oil deposits on the valves or anything, not with that few miles on it.

If you want to run a fuel additive through it for peace of mind, I would stick to Techron Fuel System Cleaner, Gumout Regane Fuel System Cleaner, or Redline Fuel System Cleaner. Any of the PEA additives would be fine (warning: most additives are NOT included this category, so be careful). The fuel additive sub-forum on Bobistheoilguy.com has lots of info on this subject, I recommend perusing it for more info if you have the time.

Most likely, the only non-desirable effect left over from the pre-CC miles driven is that your intake plenum is coated with a thin film of oil that may slowly drip into the air/fuel mixture headed for the combustion chambers. But it will get burned along with everything else and leave your engine pretty much the way it found it - in fine working order.

If you just cannot stand the thought of an oily plenum, or if you are really bored and just want to check the condition for yourself, then you could always pull the plenum off and clean/inspect it (along with adjacent hardware). But getting the plenum off/on isn't a cake walk, so don't dive into it w/out a plan of action (read: the right tools).

You could also pull one or two of the spark plugs to verify they are not fouled or starting to foul, but here again, there are some details about spark plug removal/installation on the Pentastar you'll need to plan for carefully (too much to go into here; can start another thread if necessary to discuss that topic), so keep that in mind if this type of thing is going to be attempted.

But with as few miles as you have put on it so far, I really think the only benefit to be had there is for your own peace of mind. The performance of the engine isn't likely affected yet, and thus it wouldn't benefit much from such an undertaking.

You've already done the most important thing - put a system in place to prevent future damage from occurring, and you've done so before any damage could start to occur as well. So your car is fine and will be fine for a long time to come in this area.

IOW, don't sweat it, your good to go!

Nuke

·
Registered
2016 Challenger Hellcat
364 Posts
Nuke, thanks for your complete and thorough answer to mattpiper. I could have asked - and was also wondering - the exact same question. I have a 2012 Challenger 392 and installed a CC at 16,000 miles. Like mattpiper I have been amazed at the oil that accumulates in the CC in only a few thousand miles. And yes, I have poured a bottle of Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner in my tank!! (lol).... being OCD can be a curse!
Thanks again guy......

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
8,515 Posts
Nuke, thanks for your complete and thorough answer to mattpiper. I could have asked - and was also wondering - the exact same question. I have a 2012 Challenger 392 and installed a CC at 16,000 miles. Like mattpiper I have been amazed at the oil that accumulates in the CC in only a few thousand miles. And yes, I have poured a bottle of Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner in my tank!! (lol).... being OCD can be a curse!
Thanks again guy......
We're all of the same mind on this I think. My previous post was not an indictment of anyone's concerns, but more of an attempt to allay those concerns based on what I've seen with my car.

I didn't get my CCs installed and working until I was within spitting distance of 50K miles. And once I started emptying out a couple ounces of oil at every OCI, I too started getting worried about the condition of things inside my motor resulting from all pre-CC miles.

But as luck would have it (maybe "luck" is wrong word there...), I had to do some troubleshooting/diagnosis on my engine at ~70K miles that required pulling the spark plugs, and pulling the plenum, etc. So I was able to see for myself what condition things are in after 40+K miles of non-CC driving, and I was really surprised at how good everything looked.

The plenum had a thick coating of Mobil 1 0W-20 and was dripping everywhere, but that was the worst thing I could find (and was easily resolved before reassembly). And with the worst part fully reversable with some towels and elbow grease, I felt like I was in pretty good shape after all.

Of course I use good gas, good oil, do regular maintenance, etc., so that factors in as well. But the bottom line is that it would take a LOT of non-CC miles and prob some neglected maintenance too before any real problems would occur...like maybe 100K or more I'm thinking.

But I'm talking about real problems there, not just a loss of performance or mpg. Those would likely be observed much sooner I'm sure (but only by someone paying attention - like us!).

But I digest...

To worry is okay, we're all gonna do it. Just don't let this particular fret turn into an ulcer!

Nuke

1 - 5 of 5 Posts