Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2013 6 speed 392. As far as mods I have, not much thus far. They are front tower strut brace, catch can, diablo 93 octane tune, 180* T-stat, Magnaflow comp series cat back exhaust, and MOPAR stage one springs,(not installed yet, but soon). I know a lot of guys go and get a new CAI but from what I can tell and have read the stock one on the 2011 and newer SRTs flow well.

So my question is; with out forced induction, with out cam and head work, what can I do to put more power to the wheels? I don't track the car, 1/4 mile or road course, I just want more of a kick in the ass. In about 2-3 years I do see myself going with a cam and head work through HHP. But until then is there anything else I can add to the car?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
456 Posts
Get a larger throttle body and Port the intake manifold then get a custom tune. I can tell you it pulls much harder and the power is instant when you press the gas. I thought it woke up when I put the 91 tune in, but damn... after this mod the gains feel 2-3x that did. Wish I had numbers for you but the butt dyno is impressive.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Just a custom tune alone is a great improvement over the canned tunes and I think that would be your next step. Unless you are considering nitrous there really isnt much more you can do other than long tubes and a custom tune.

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you considered Nitrous ? A 75 shot would probably be safe.

I have not considered nitrous. I'm looking at more off a permanent mod. Perhaps in a few years after some major overhauling,(head work, cam), I would then seriously look at that. Thanks though.

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Get a larger throttle body and Port the intake manifold then get a custom tune. I can tell you it pulls much harder and the power is instant when you press the gas. I thought it woke up when I put the 91 tune in, but damn... after this mod the gains feel 2-3x that did. Wish I had numbers for you but the butt dyno is impressive.

I see you went with a 87mm throttle body. What size is stock, 85? Also what made you go larger on the throttle body and not have it ported? Is one a better performer and easier to tune than the other? Who ported your intake? I remember seeng a vendor on this site that does them. I appreciate your previous response and thanks in advance for your help and info.

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a custom tune alone is a great improvement over the canned tunes and I think that would be your next step. Unless you are considering nitrous there really isnt much more you can do other than long tubes and a custom tune.

Hey thanks man. How much is a custom tune about, I haven't the slightest. It sounds like larger/ported throttle body, ported intake, long tubes, high flow cats, and custom tune is about all I can do before ripping into the motor. I think these will be my next mods.

Question?? Do you get the custom tune prior to the above bolt ons, after, or does it not matter?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Hey thanks man. How much is a custom tune about, I haven't the slightest. It sounds like larger/ported throttle body, ported intake, long tubes, high flow cats, and custom tune is about all I can do before ripping into the motor. I think these will be my next mods.

Question?? Do you get the custom tune prior to the above bolt ons, after, or does it not matter?

Johan, the lead tuner over at DS, asks for donations from $150+ I believe. I got my LT's installed and tuned at the same time so I dont remember the individual cost of the tune.

There was a good breakdown on either this site or the other popular forums that says that you dont need to go with a bigger TB than stock. The recommendation was based off of calculating the CFM and showed that the stock will flow more than enough air for the stock displacement.

With that said I still got the standard mod from Fastman for the decreased throttle lag.

Get your custom tune after you have finished with all mods. If you got it now, then added LT's then its really a waste of $150 since you will have to pay full price for the new tune.

Reactions: teddyp

·
Registered
456 Posts
I see you went with a 87mm throttle body. What size is stock, 85? Also what made you go larger on the throttle body and not have it ported? Is one a better performer and easier to tune than the other? Who ported your intake? I remember seeng a vendor on this site that does them. I appreciate your previous response and thanks in advance for your help and info.

I believe the stock TB is 80mm. I actually picked up the 87mm (modern muscle ported) last year to add more air flow and address the throttle lag before I decided to port the manifold. I have since picked up an Arrington 90mm (cast) from a fellow member but am holding off because of retuning as the car feels so good. I don't know if the very slight gains if any are worth addressing right now. I would like to see the airflow difference between the two. Within the next year I should have a procharger and forged pistons added. Johan asks for a donation. It all depends on your level of mods. :)

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I went with a Fastman 84mm throttle body and it woke my car up noticeably. Don't know what the bhp and torque boost is, probably not much, but in terms of drivability and throttle lag an oversized TB is a great mod.

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I went with a Fastman 84mm throttle body and it woke my car up noticeably. Don't know what the bhp and torque boost is, probably not much, but in terms of drivability and throttle lag an oversized TB is a great mod.

What kind of tune are you using. And did you experience any problems with fastman? I've read some guys had an idle/surging problem. Not sure if it's just with fastman or other types also.

Reactions: RobF

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can anybody give me info on throttle bodies pertaining to porting the stock one or replacing with a larger one. What are the pros and cons of each? Performance, reliability, drive ability, tuning, cost effectiveness of the two?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
What kind of tune are you using. And did you experience any problems with fastman? I've read some guys had an idle/surging problem. Not sure if it's just with fastman or other types also.
Teddy -

I am using the standard 91 Diablo tune, but adjusted the fuel/air mix for my CAI and throttle body. If you install a TB and send an email to Diablo listing your mods they will tell you how much to change the mix settings by. I have had ZERO problems with my Fastman TB, and consider it one of the top 3 mods I've done along with my Barton short throw shifter and my Magnaflows.

Cheers,

Rob

·
Registered
545 Posts
water meth kit, keep temps low and get a few hp

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
water meth kit, keep temps low and get a few hp

???hmmm??? I have no idea what that is. I've heard of it, but no clue. Google is my friend, thanks.lol.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Ported intake with 90 tb will net you 26hp according to peak performance. They're a vendor here. Cost, approx $800.
Canned tunes gain you less than 10 hp.
The real gains are in the custom tunes. I have a tune which I'm very pleased with.
Here's my suggestion. Lmi cai, ported IM with 90mm tb, MF catback with a custom tune, will net you about 60 hp at the crank minimum.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ported intake with 90 tb will net you 26hp according to peak performance. They're a vendor here. Cost, approx $800.
The real gains are in the custom tunes. I have a tune which I'm very pleased with.
Here's my suggestion. Lmi cai, ported IM with 90mm tb, MF catback with a custom tune, will net you about 60 hp at the crank minimum.

BINGO! It's funny you said LMI CAI because if I did do a CAI their fender pull would be the only one I'd use after the stock box. So, considering I have the MF cat backs, tuner, I think your on to some thing. Do you really think all those mods, with the custom tune will net 60ish?? I believe you, your no dummy I know, but do we have anyone on the forum that has these combined or similar that shows a dyno run. Not so much a before and after but just an after.? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
You will not have any issues with the standard Fastman mod. From the posts on this and many other forums, the issues start when you try to go bigger or mod the original too much. It seems like it is quite a headache once the issues start.

Teddy -

I am using the standard 91 Diablo tune, but adjusted the fuel/air mix for my CAI and throttle body. If you install a TB and send an email to Diablo listing your mods they will tell you how much to change the mix settings by. I have had ZERO problems with my Fastman TB, and consider it one of the top 3 mods I've done along with my Barton short throw shifter and my Magnaflows.

Cheers,

Rob
You probably already know this but just putting it out there that when you change the fuel/air in the tuner, you are only changing the fuel/air during WOT. The handhelds do not let users adjust for part throttle so any benefits you may see from your adjustments will only be under full throttle.

Do you have the link to their proof? If there is proof that porting an intake and adding a larger TB alone nets that much of a gain I will be truely shocked since thats around (even a little more) what you expect to see from adding long tubes. Was there a custom tune involved?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts

Also, a canned tune is not all about the hp jump. The reduction of torque management alone makes the canned tune worth it IMO.

HP gains are not cumulative. You cannot say an intake will give you 20 hp and long tubes will give you 20 so you will gain 40 HP with both. It doesnt work like that.

I am skeptical about the 26 hp claim on the ported intake and TB but I absolutely do not believe you will gain 60 hp with intake, ported intake manifold, TB, catback and custom tune.

·
Registered
456 Posts
/\ /\ /\ I agree with the above. Intake and exhaust wont get much, but Manifold TB and custom tune will get a nice gain, throw some long tubes on for some more.
One mod might get you 20 by itself and another might get you 20 by itself but together they might get you 30. Just the way it goes.

I will try and get a dyno run soon. I have my stock run from last year to compare. I will go to the same shop. It wont show exact gains (variables) It wont be "scientific" but it should give an idea of the types of gains ive gotten.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts