Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 2014 SRT8 Core and I was looking into getting some Drag Radials. I know that I atleast want to get a 10in wide rim probably either 17's or 18's and I want to run either a 295 or 305 wide tire. Could anyone help me out with figuring out what offset for the rim I would need buy so they clear properly. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Hey guys, I have a 2014 SRT8 Core and I was looking into getting some Drag Radials. I know that I atleast want to get a 10in wide rim probably either 17's or 18's and I want to run either a 295 or 305 wide tire. Could anyone help me out with figuring out what offset for the rim I would need buy so they clear properly. Thanks in advance.
These work perfect. :) No need for a 295 or 305 tire. These are M&H RaceMaster 275/50/17 on a Mustang Cobra R wheel.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
The wheels are the replica Cobra R's 17x9's. A 17x10 will not fit. Here is where I got them from. Only thing you have to do with the wheels is open up the hub area a tiny bit with a 3 inch sandpaper flapper wheel. They don't fit over the stock SRT hubs. Its real easy and only takes about 15 minutes. Its pretty much one of the standard cheap drag wheel setups that a lot of guys have been running for years.

The tires are the 275/50/17 M&H drag radial. One of the best tires I have ever used.
I have to add that I use them for track only. They do work extremely well on the street and have decent driving manners but you do not want to get caught in the rain with them. :)

Black 1995 Cobra R Mustang Wheels (1999-2004)Â*|Â*AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

·
Registered
2009 Challenger SRT8
143 Posts
Here is the 17" Weld wheel option listed . I have 8" in front and 10" in the rear at the moment. I tried 275/50R17 M&H's but could turn them at 18 PSI so now I have 295/45R17 MT's and will see what happens. My track isn't all that great is why I had trouble with the M&H's I suspect. Most have good luck with them. http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f79/whats-right-backspacing-offset-weld-wheels-151833/
Some people have reported getting into the 11's with basic mods and using 26 inch tall tires in the rear with the 392's.

Good luck !

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
M&H 275/40/17s on the wheels that SRT8Tech listed are 26" tall and will give you a gearing benefit which helps the A5s (3.06s are pretty tall for drag racing so the gearing benefit helps). I got my best ET 11.9 with the 26" 275/40/17s but can no longer get them to hook consistently so I'm now running the 275/50/17s which are 28" tall. The 26" tall with a tune that lets you spool up to 6650 will get you through the traps in 3rd. The 28" and I trap around 5350 RPM in 3rd.
I run my M&Hs on the street to and from the track (my car doesn’t get driven much except to and from the track). Not sure how long they would last on a DD but they are OK for the street as long as it is dry. No one will beat you off the line on the street with them on, that’s for sure.
Windwalker has the Cadillac of wheels though. Light, strong and look good.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I was finally able to get my set of the Cobra R wheels with MT Street Radials in... Now I spent about two hours this evening trying to use my dremel and the grinding stone attachment to get the hub to fit over, I have gotten close but it still is gonna take a lot of finesse with this tool combo. I was wondering if you could post a link to the tool attachment you used to make it a lot easier to bore out the hub a bit. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
678 Posts
It is a shame you are so far from Indianapolis. I have a pair of Cobra knock offs and M&H DR's that I ran on my 2011 for sale. Last race of last year got the best time ever with them.

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
9,016 Posts
So I was finally able to get my set of the Cobra R wheels with MT Street Radials in... Now I spent about two hours this evening trying to use my dremel and the grinding stone attachment to get the hub to fit over, I have gotten close but it still is gonna take a lot of finesse with this tool combo. I was wondering if you could post a link to the tool attachment you used to make it a lot easier to bore out the hub a bit. Thanks.
I just stuck a sanding drum on the end a drill and worked it around the inside of the hub area, didn't take long at all. It took a few test fits but went pretty fast. The dremel tool just doesn't have enough surface area to do the job quickly.

I also have a 2014 SRT Core and I run the 275/50/17's on the Cobra R rims and they work well. I tried 275/40/17's on my old R/T and that combo worked well about half the time and the other half it dumped my car into limp mode due to the tires being shorter. I've heard this from others as well, it seems like the manual cars don't have troubles with the shorter tires but some auto's do and some don't. My car seemed to alternate at the track so I finally just got the 275/50/17's which are about 28" tall and had no problems after that. I haven't tried the shorter drag radials with my Core I just run the 275/50/17's and again they have worked well.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I just stuck a sanding drum on the end a drill and worked it around the inside of the hub area, didn't take long at all. It took a few test fits but went pretty fast. The dremel tool just doesn't have enough surface area to do the job quickly.

I also have a 2014 SRT Core and I run the 275/50/17's on the Cobra R rims and they work well. I tried 275/40/17's on my old R/T and that combo worked well about half the time and the other half it dumped my car into limp mode due to the tires being shorter. I've heard this from others as well, it seems like the manual cars don't have troubles with the shorter tires but some auto's do and some don't. My car seemed to alternate at the track so I finally just got the 275/50/17's which are about 28" tall and had no problems after that. I haven't tried the shorter drag radials with my Core I just run the 275/50/17's and again they have worked well.
Some who swap tires at the track would have issues with the 26" freaking out the TCM when they were first installed. Mine did it once at the house when I first put them on but after I manually shifted through the gears a couple of times all was well. To prevent it from going into limp mode they woulkd slap on the DRs and drive a couple of blocks manaully shifting and then go back to the track.
Gald you got them honed out, the 28" will keep you in 3rd around 5.9K to 6K in the traps and that is a good thing unless you raise your rev limiter to > 6640 (needed for the 26") which the trinity won't let you do.
I always snugged up the lugs good with the wheel in the air and the 114.3 X 5 pattern would center fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts