Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do I find one? What do I need to know? Any special tools required? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Your going to need to the hurst kit for automatic's or find a threaded adaptor as the stock handle is not threaded. I recently installed the black kit from hurst which included a shifter plate but then a stick cover with a threaded end to hold the ball in place. ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1389033951.490342.jpg ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1389033962.663783.jpg
Then switched to this ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1389034000.547104.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
426 Posts
You'll have to order the hurst comp stick kit. And you'll want the plastic trim removal tools from Harbor Freight. Cheap and very useful for protecting the trim. I'm going to install mine when I get some time. I hear it's easy if you follow the directions and read some of the threads on the forum. Supposedly there's a video out there too.

·
Premium Member
4,036 Posts

·
Registered
6,342 Posts
After spending $233 on this Product Details | HurstShifters you then need to spend another $85 on this Product Details | HurstShifters

I'll pass!

Only if you want a white knob with a black plate. You could just as easily buy the polished plate version
which comes with a white knob, and if you don't like the polished finish, spray it with some 1000 Degree
BBQ black, bake it in the over for a little bit (it's billet aluminum) and you would be good 2 go :)

Reactions: ghostrt

·
Premium Member
3,110 Posts
I gently threaded the shifter shaft to retrofit to pre 08 thread. My shifter knob is from a go-mango Daytona with orange threads. Yes I did it without removing the shifter from the car...if anyone wants pics let me know.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the great replies! Those pics have me drooling.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
I have a ball on my factory shifter and it's way nicer and cost me $30. Very nice white ball with a semi naked Judy Jettson on it. Get a pic on here tomorrow as I'm at work tonite. Everyone loves it but my wife.

·
Registered
2015 SRT
291 Posts
Here is a pick of the white ball with the black plate

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Are any of you having trouble with black stock plastic guide, i rolled mine up and it works but when i go from D to P its popping up and catching. Any solutions or ideas??

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
The instructions call for the edges to be bent downward, slightly. You may have to re-bend those edges. And did you use the slider cover that came with the kit?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I had the same thing happen. Pull it out and leave it rolled up tight with a rubber band around it for an hour or so.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
http://www.jegs.com/InstallationInstructions/500/530/530-538-0402_0403.pdf

Here's the install instructions, step 9 shows the bending, step 10, the roll up...

The Hurst slider cover keeps the OEM plastic slider from catching the underside of the cup holder. The Hurst slider cover clips onto the OE shifter/slider plate, the white curved piece. There are 2 tabs on the slider cover that are squeezed together. The slider cover keeps the OE slider from catching the underside of the cup holder.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I bought just the ball, can't remember where though :( maybe ebay:

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Sorry I didn't get a pic of mine for you today, been at dentist getting a crown fitted. Will get it tomorrow for sure. My shifter ball does not sit as high as those shown like the Hurst or the T handle. It sits much lower and the thin shifter rod is not seen. I like that I just barely have to rock it to shift. But you can raise or lower it to suit you as it's mounted with allen set screws. Also you can change the ball to what ever style knob you want such as the old fat Hurst T handle, or one of those crazy Rat Fink knobs. The set screws are way up the shifter shaft so if you wanted to put the stock one back, or a Hurst type, you never see the marks.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Here is the pics of my shifter as promised. I had to raise the ball up to clear the bezel plate when in drive as the ball and mount will sit lower into the shifter gate. Works great and everyone loves the knob.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts