Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
Always loved Dodge and namely the 69 Charger. Loved the retro look on the Challenger but since I am a sales rep I always drove practical cars like an Accord.

My lease is up in a few months, and I have experienced some recent events that make me think life is too short to always be boring. I am on the fence about leasing a Challenger for work. I do easy 15k miles a year and I lug around some products and other sales BS. I understand highway mileage won't be too great but am prepared to have some trade offs.

How is the trunk space on these? How is the short term reliability (probably 3 year lease)? Is there a lot of droning on the highway? I love stick but thinking slush box for traffic situations. Is the automatic tranny good? Lastly, my local Dodge dealer seems pretty shady (I looked at a Cherokee a while back and they really pissed me off) does any one know of a good Dodge dealership in the NewYork tri state area?

Any other comments or things I should be aware of? Would love orange to pay homage to the General Lee!

Thanks and awesome site!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Challengers are the sh1t every where you go ppl will look at you if you like being noticed this is the car for you ya 6speed sucks a lil in traffic but there ain't nothing like banging gears light to light

Reactions: DJ Hemi

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
15k miles is nothing per year.
Bigger trunk than an Accord, f^c%ing huge in fact.
MPG is pretty reasonable.
I don't know a car on the planet that doesn't last 3 years, even the worst of British and American cars in the 70's were intended to last that long.
Auto transmission does the job, but you are not racing around a track with corners, so no problem for you.
No drone if you stick with stock exhaust system. Choose wisely if you change it out.

Get the Challenger, no comparison between that and a Japanese commuter car. I have a Camry as well, I know.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I know what you mean about dealerships. Within 15 miles of me is what I consider the best dealership I have ever been to and the worst. And they are both Dodge dealerships. I would imagine in your area you have quite a few to choose from. Just shop around. When you even mention gas mileage and Challenger in the same sentence you are sounding like a v6 kinda guy. Nothing wrong with that. They are pretty reasonable in price and 300hp ain't too bad. The trunk, as has been mentioned, is huge. But, due to its design, you may want to take a long look at the trunk because access to it is not as easy as your run of the mill Japanese car. Depends on what you plan on putting in that trunk.

But I guess it depends on how strong your recent revelation was and what you can afford. An R/T is going to deliver more pure driving enjoyment with power and presence than the v6 but at the expense of gas mileage and up front and recurring cost. And for the "Oh f--k it life is way too short I am going to live it up" revelation, the SRT is what you want.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
At 57yrs I made that choice and as you say life is short. I went all the way and got the SRT8 Core 6M in bright white. The Core has all the power of the SRT8 but lacks the touch screen, the navigation, leather seats and big boom box music player. Also, the Core is about 8 thousand dollars less and you still get all the power and fun. And you will be noticed.

No drone on the stock, I did put Zoomers cat back exhaust on mine and still no drone. Just wonderful exhaust tunes. PS - do not put an X-Pipe on Zoomers or you will get drone.

The R/T is a good option also. But if you get the 6cyl SXT you soon will want more power, so go ahead and get the R/T or the SRT8.:eusa_dance:

·
Registered
284 Posts
I leased my 2011 Challenger - was a great choice. The residual is high, so the payment was reasonable. The car was rock solid reliable, so the only money I spent on it was for oil changes and a set of winter tires. Trunk was huge, and you could even carry a third person in the back seat in a pinch. And, it was a ball to drive... I am in a 300c for right now, but will get back into a Challenger in 2016.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I would not select a Challenger as a leased car, especially as a salesman.

I was in sales for years. If you're not lugging samples in and out of the car you're taking customers out to lunch/dinner, so having four doors instead of only two makes a big difference when you're dealing with more than only one client at a time.

And you're also pretty much beating on the car as you drive from sales call to sales call. Also, the Challenger would be too tempting to modify in many ways---for me, that's part of the joy of driving/owning it.

To each his own, but I'd suggest there are better options for leasing a vehicle for use as a salesman's transportation----such as the Charger.

·
Registered
573 Posts
15 thousand miles a year is nothing. The trunk is really big. Fun car to drive . Attention getter.my only complaint is the dealerships. I take my SRT to a Chevy dealership for maintenence and get excellent service. ( they sell all makes. Of used cars and have no problem doing maintenence on my Dodge ) Buy the Challenger :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
214 Posts
You only live once do it right. Plenty of trunk room. You better just go ahead and buy it,because that is what you will want to do at the end of the lease.

·
Premium Member
9,678 Posts
or....
Get a new/used Challenger for when you're not working and keep using a practical car for work.

Reactions: DJ Hemi

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks a lot guys I appreciate it.

To DJ Hemi- agree that is one big thing I am worried about (taking clients to lunch and BS like that) but I feel like I am always living my life worrying about others (my boss, my customers, my mortgage, family matters, etc ) The whole Challenger idea is to kinda say f-it. But yeah, the 2 door thing is a major sticking point..... Probably the last remaining one...

Won't do the Charger, it's just the Challenger that's crazy aggressive and sweet looking!

Thanks again. Time to hit the dealers and try not to get too mad!!

·
Premium Member
9,678 Posts
Let's say you find a good deal and buy one, is it possible that you could find it impractical and have to get rid of it? If the answer is is maybe, it's remotely possible, or yes don't do it.
I definitely hear you on your reasoning but your family and security rely on your job.
Good luck in this.

·
Premium Member
4,048 Posts
www.shrewdlease.com can help you figure out if your lease scores high or low. Anything above a 7 is good.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts