Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please include year, model of car, type of hitch (brand name, ball size etc, ) weight of what was towed, miles towed, years using, and tow weight if possible. I'd like to know were there any negatives in terms of breaking down/ handling/ repairs in doing this.

I want to tow a teardrop trailer out west and back (3000 miles) weighing around 2000lbs. Please no comments about that is not what a challenger is for. I like my chally, I like to park my trailer where I'm staying and then go into town with my chally to the bars/ cruising. don't bother telling me to get a station wagon. Please also no other cars discussed, I want to know specifically about my 2014 Dodge Challenger SXT, but any Dodge challenger that "says" it can only tow 1000lb stories I'd like to hear about. I simply cannot believe that this 300+ hp 3800lb car can't tow more than a lousy 1000lbs.

TIA.

jleslie

·
Premium Member
10,187 Posts
The engineers rated it at that for a reason, it appears you don't trust their educated opinions so do what you wish and when something fails don't take it in for any warranty repairs since you INTENTIONALLY choose to do it YOUR way.
I'd never tow with a unibody vehicle, only a full framed one.

·
Registered
16,000 Posts
Agreed, it's mostly the unibody construction but 1000 lbs does seem way underated. I towed my 3500 lb boat around a lot with my 87 Firebird and it still rode and handled like new 100k+ miles later. I don't think you will have any trouble but a camper carries a lot more wind resistance than a boat plus that is a long distance. Also probably no warranty if you blow something up and they find out what you were towing. Your rear axle will get hot..needs the best synthetic 85W-140 gear oil and frequent changes.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Agreed, it's mostly the unibody construction but 1000 lbs does seem way underated. I towed my 3500 lb boat around a lot with my 87 Firebird and it still rode and handled like new 100k+ miles later. I don't think you will have any trouble but a camper carries a lot more wind resistance than a boat plus that is a long distance. Also probably no warranty if you blow something up and they find out what you were towing. Your rear axle will get hot..needs the best synthetic 85W-140 gear oil and frequent changes.

yes that is what I'm trying to determine based on others experiences with towing. The 1000 lb value seems like just a very, conservative guestimate that was thrown out there for CYA. I would like to know how they actually came to that figure. My guess is they expected very few people to actually want to do it, so they just low balled it on the safe side rather than spend a lot of time/money figuring out an exact number.

·
Registered
504 Posts
The SXT comes with the smallest brakes, and braking is ultimately what limits safe towing capacity.

That 1,000 pounds is like carrying 4 adult passengers in the car. It's gonna tax the brakes. Could you tow more? Probably. Years ago I towed my autocross car on a single-axle trailer with a 2.0 Ranger, but I wouldn't say it was safe. 900 pounds of trailer and 1700 pounds of car doesn't sound like much, but the brakes sure weren't happy. For that matter the 2.0 wasn't thrilled about it either.

The other question is, what happens with the torque management and internal transmission parts when you're asking it to tow twice its rated capacity? You can probably get away with it, but good luck with a warranty claim if there's any problems with the tranny.

I don't know what's up with people wanting to tow things with Challengers lately. There are much better vehicles for towing. A Challenger can't hold 20 4x8 sheets of plywood either (WTF DODGE!); I guess that's the next thread.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The SXT comes with the smallest brakes, and braking is ultimately what limits safe towing capacity.

That 1,000 pounds is like carrying 4 adult passengers in the car. It's gonna tax the brakes. Could you tow more? Probably. Years ago I towed my autocross car on a single-axle trailer with a 2.0 Ranger, but I wouldn't say it was safe. 900 pounds of trailer and 1700 pounds of car doesn't sound like much, but the brakes sure weren't happy. For that matter the 2.0 wasn't thrilled about it either.

The other question is, what happens with the torque management and internal transmission parts when you're asking it to tow twice its rated capacity? You can probably get away with it, but good luck with a warranty claim if there's any problems with the tranny.

I don't know what's up with people wanting to tow things with Challengers lately. There are much better vehicles for towing. A Challenger can't hold 20 4x8 sheets of plywood either (WTF DODGE!); I guess that's the next thread.
How true! :grin2:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts