Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I've been searching around for a Challenger to buy as my next car since my 4 banger just doesn't come close to what I want in a car. I've gotten to a point where I think I've found one that may just fit the bill- but, I had some questions that I figured you folks would be able to answer better than most. Any advice, help, info would be greatly appreciated!

The car in question is a 2010 Challenger RT with about 15K miles on the clock (auto trans). It has been modified with a TVS2300 supercharger, Borla headers, and a Borla ATAK exhaust, some nice aftermarket wheels and some minor aesthetic changes. Other than the passenger side headlight housing having some condensation, it looks to be in excellent shape.

Now, my concern is that while it is accident free, it does still have two open recalls for the driver airbag inflator (R37) and infamous timing chain/tensioner (P01) issues. I know that if the car was stock, I should still be able to get the recalls taken care of but I'm hesitant that I'll buy the car and get turned away from the dealers. Since this seems to be up to their discretion, I've attempted contacting a couple local Dodge dealers but haven't been able to get an answer yet. The dealer who is selling the car isn't a Dodge dealer and told me it was only being sold as-is. It's priced under $25K and considering the supercharger, exhaust setup and wheels are really what I'd end up doing anyway, it'd be a great way to save some money IF there aren't any issues.

As my name implies, Dodge Hemis are all new territory for me so does having a supercharger mean that the car already doesn't run using MDS at all? I would imagine that would be a better setup anyway. Would there be any way for me to tell when I test drive the car? The dealer doesn't know- of course.

Do you think the car would be worth the gamble if I drive in autostick until I can get the recalls taken care of? From what I've read, that's a good way to prevent the timing chain from failing.

Also, if I'm totally overthinking this and the recalls won't be much of an issue, please let me know as well. I'm eagerly waiting to have a Challenger of my own but don't want to make the wrong choice. Thank you guys for reading my rant and I'm looking forward to seeing your replies!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,363 Posts
Welcome aboard, and that's a hard call to make.

For myself, unless I personally knew the owner of a car with those mods, I would take a "pass". Just too many unknowns, and the dealer isn't even offering anything other than it's an "As is."

Best of luck deciding. It could be a great car, or a headache waiting for a new owner.

·
Registered
748 Posts
2010 with 15K miles on the clock? Must be someone's project, baby, or there's something wrong. Why would he sell it, or trade it in? I know nothing about Hemi with aftermarket supercharger, but I know people with Honda and (JRSC) superchargers, and it didn't last very long. They end up blowing something and leaking oil. And Honda motors are suppose to last a long time. Once you bolt on an aftermarket supercharger, there's only one way to drive it. Not sure I want that car.

As much of a beast this car sounds like, I would pass. If there's another 2010 with 60,000, I would choose that one.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
$25,000 is a lot to pay for a lot of unknowns, I'd say pass also, lots of Challengers on the market, many with low miles because it's a second or 3rd car.

BTW....In California (don't know what state you're in) a dealer (ANY dealer) can't sell any vehicle "as is"
They have to go through the car and replace stuff like tires and brake pads if they are 50% worn or less ect.....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Gut reaction, someone either put alot of time and money into it and didnt get what he thought or did, drove it hard, got his fix, and is moving on. Neither scenario would make me want that car. A few months ago my brother picked up a 2015 R/T plus in sublime green with 25K miles for $25K, and change, from a dealer. I would stalk your local dealer websites, be patient, and find something awesome, that you can trust, to make you smile. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate all the feedback guys! Definitely will pass on this one. I was having the same gut feeling as well. I'll keep a lookout for something better. Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
175 Posts
I would also avoid modified cars, they have the stuff added for a reason. Also may want to look at 08-10 srt8 I got mine for the price of an r/t with 35k Car has been trouble free.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts