Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok for the last couple of years I have been getting into racing. Mainly reading up and watching a lot on you tube and going to tracks and such. I really have been wanting to run my Challenger down the race track for a run. Nothing major just a run or two. My car is stock, 2016 5.7 R/T Plus with STP. I did change my F1 3 season tires to bf Goodrich all seasons which I know isn't good for racing. But for a general run are there any major preps I would need to do before I try it. I know a helmet, but this car is my DD, not a track car and I know this. I believe the r/t plus is limited to 155. Not sure with the tire change. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,230 Posts
My experience at the strip on the factory tires on my Scat was horrible wheel hop. If you feel it, let off the gas immediately.

Tips:
In addition to the helmet, you also need to wear long pants...seems obvious, but thought I'd say it anyways.

Avoid the water box; drive around it. If you can't, inch slowly up instead of doing a burnout to get the water off your tires.

You don't need to do a burnout; street tires are a harder compound and don't "warm up" effectively doing burnouts; you gain nothing and lose tread life.

Don't let out too much air; maybe down to 26 lbs, if that. The stiffer sidewalls of street tires don't allow for the same enlargement of footprint by reducing psi as you get on DRs or Slicks.

MOST IMPORTANT TIP: Just have fun! Watch several cars do their approach in staging lanes, and burnout box. Learn the etiquette of staging (left lane lights 1st set of bulbs then waits for right lane to light theirs before left lights its second set of bulbs); watch the tree to get the rhythm of the tree (Sportsman or Pro; the former lights the 3 large yellows sequentially; the latter all at once). And have fun!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I'm really new at this. I have only been to the track a couple times. I'm going back the next time I'm off the weekend. Maybe a weekday. I will keep watch for a bit before I indulge. I am glad I don't need to do burnout's. I didn't really think I needed too.

·
Registered
Hellcat
979 Posts
DONT DO IT !!!!!!!!!!

You will get sooooo hooked, have so much fun that you can't wait for the next race
It's a blast, get a set of wheels and some drag Radials and have a blast, I started with my RT and was running 14s and got to 13.7 once. I Traded for a SP and love it even more, go for it. No one cares how fast or slow you go at the track, just have fun. check with the track, you may not need any additional safety equipment running a street car in the 14s.
DO IT!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DONT DO IT !!!!!!!!!!

You will get sooooo hooked, have so much fun that you can't wait for the next race
It's a blast, get a set of wheels and some drag Radials and have a blast, I started with my RT and was running 14s and got to 13.7 once. I Traded for a SP and love it even more, go for it. No one cares how fast or slow you go at the track, just have fun. check with the track, you may not need any additional safety equipment running a street car in the 14s.
DO IT!
I totally want too. I may have to wait to get the wheels and radials. I just wanted to run it down the track just to do it. I will be slower than crap on all season tires but I will get the bug I'm sure.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Some tracks will not let you go around the water and will force you to do at least a "quick" scrub of the tires to get rid of dirt/rocks. Some of the strips I've been to have parking only on grass and you can pick up grass/dirt/rocks before you get on the strip. Even the strips with cement parking lots have a lot of loose rocks you can pick up.
Finally..... don't do it ! It will become habit forming very quickly because of the fun factor. :)
Is your car automatic or manual?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Ok for the last couple of years I have been getting into racing. Mainly reading up and watching a lot on you tube and going to tracks and such. I really have been wanting to run my Challenger down the race track for a run. Nothing major just a run or two. My car is stock, 2016 5.7 R/T Plus with STP. I did change my F1 3 season tires to bf Goodrich all seasons which I know isn't good for racing. But for a general run are there any major preps I would need to do before I try it. I know a helmet, but this car is my DD, not a track car and I know this. I believe the r/t plus is limited to 155. Not sure with the tire change. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Launching is going to be the only problem you will have. You don't need to burn out with street tires. That will heat cycle them and make them greasy. You can do a quick little spin before you go stage just to clean them off, but never do a full burnout. If they do make you go through the water box then make sure you spin them before you stage so that you get that water off of there. If you feel the back start to hop on you then let off the gas before you break something. If you launch and you manage to spin the tires then just let off the gas fully and let them hook back up. If you stay in the gas after you are spinning the tires then you will just burnout the entire way. You may even lose control of the car if you start to yaw. Your speed limiter is not going to be a factor because the max you will see in the 1/8th is about 80mph and about 105-110 mph in the 1/4. If you do not have launch control then just foot brake it and keep your RPMs around 1500 or so. Once the tree drops then roll into the throttle and try not to spin the tires. Unless you put a drag tire on that you will probably be pretty disappointed in your times. Depending on your DA you maybe lucky to get into the 13s with a stock 5.7l on all-seasons. Here is the best advice out of this entire wall of text, keep your expectations low and realistic. Just have fun with it, but know that whatever you might have seen on Youtube or what some forum racer tells you is not going to be anything close to realistic. Some internet racer will say he saw a Youtube video of a R/T running 12s and that you suck at racing. Ignore them because most of the time they don't have a car or if they do you can bet that it has never seen a track in its day. Just get out there and practice, practice, and practice some more! Find the limits of what you have so you know what you need to do if you want to get better times. Good luck!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for that I appreciate it. I don't know if this makes a difference but just did res delete and adding super 40's to it today so maybe I'll gain some ooopmph. Maybe not. Yeah I'm not expecting 12's or low 13's I know my rt is not built for that. I just want to run down the track and have the experience. I never even spun my tires before lol.

·
Registered
6 Posts
When you are staged, before they light the tree take a deep breath, and whatever you do avoid mashing the gas. You will get a better time by easing into the gas, and then getting into it hard, after you've rolled a little bit. Pro tip: go on the last yellow instead of the green, this will get you a better reaction time

·
Registered
497 Posts
Let us know how you do. I couldn't wait to get mine to the track when I bought it. Like said grab a helmet and long pants pull in with a quarter tank of gas and enjoy. Leave your spare tire and jack at home if you feel ok about it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts