Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
My 2010 R/T (which I've only owned a few months) a/c gets warm almost every time I slow down/stop in traffic... I live out in Hawaii, and it's hot and humid so good is a nice thing to have! Mileage on the car is only 70k. I took it to a place that I believe is very competent and had them evac/recharge the system. I figured it was just low on freon as that's how it was acting. They said it was actually slightly overcharged. However, the performance from the a/c did not change at all, still the same.
Things I have verified so far: screen (mine did not come with a cabin filter) under the passenger side cowl is clear; electric cooling fan is working when the a/c is on, all fuses look good. All of my climate controls work except for the recirc feature; when you select it (light comes on after pushing in on the button) there is no audible sound of the door moving, no change in airflow or temperature and also no reduction in fumes coming in from outside so I'm pretty sure it is not working.
I pulled the glove box and I watched the actuator for the recirc door and from what I can tell, the shaft from the actuator to the upper housing is turning. Maybe the door is physically broken inside the housing somewhere? Is that something common to these cars? I really figured the actuator was dead since I've read a lot about that, but again, seems like it's working.
Any ideas? I'm new to the LX cars, so not familiar with their weaknesses. My 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 has blend door issues, they have a plastic part that commonly breaks and gives you weird a/c performance.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My 2013 RT was giving me fits early in summer, I bought a can of freon. Charged the system it was down a little. As with you when I turned on the recirc switch nothing happened. I finally continuously hit the switch over and over. Pausing after about 5 or 6 shots. All of a sudden it came on and everything chilled majorly. I've not had trouble all the rest of the summer.

Mopar or No Car, Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My 2013 RT was giving me fits early in summer, I bought a can of freon. Charged the system it was down a little. As with you when I turned on the recirc switch nothing happened. I finally continuously hit the switch over and over. Pausing after about 5 or 6 shots. All of a sudden it came on and everything chilled majorly. I've not had trouble all the rest of the summer.

I'll try that, see what happens. Suppose it can't hurt.
I also just ordered the Upper Housing P/N 68037360AB which I'm pretty sure includes the door. I'm going to start there, replace the door and see if there's any improvement in the a/c. Hope that's it! Still really trying to avoid the dealership. They want $162 just to look at it... :crying:

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'll try that, see what happens. Suppose it can't hurt.
I also just ordered the Upper Housing P/N 68037360AB which I'm pretty sure includes the door. I'm going to start there, replace the door and see if there's any improvement in the a/c. Hope that's it! Still really trying to avoid the dealership. They want $162 just to look at it... :crying:
Look on you tube there are plenty of videos about the air problems.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I'm going to speculate that there is something up with your radiator / A/C condenser fan motor(s), fuse for the condenser motors or the wiring for the fan assembly. While you are moving, air naturally flows over the condenser, cooling the refrigerant so it can condense back down to a liquid. When you stop, it can't cool sufficiently and most of it remains a high temperature/pressure gas, thus you get no cooling inside the vehicle.

When you stop, can see or hear the condenser fan spinning?

How is your engine temp? Does it increase when you stop?

Is the condenser clean?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm going to speculate that there is something up with your radiator / A/C condenser fan motor(s), fuse for the condenser motors or the wiring for the fan assembly. While you are moving, air naturally flows over the condenser, cooling the refrigerant so it can condense back down to a liquid. When you stop, it can't cool sufficiently and most of it remains a high temperature/pressure gas, thus you get no cooling inside the vehicle.

When you stop, can see or hear the condenser fan spinning?

How is your engine temp? Does it increase when you stop?

Is the condenser clean?

The front of the condenser is very clean, and fins all look great. I can't see any damage there at all.
Those were all my first thoughts as well, fan or condenser. The fan runs for sure. I don't know if it is a multi-speed fan, and if so all speeds work or not... The engine temp is nice and stable, comes up like it should and stays there even in stop and go traffic in the heat of the day, never gets hotter than it should.
My other thought was that it was probably low on freon, thus also why it was tempermental. That's why I had it evac/recharge initially hoping it was just that simple.
The only thing I know for sure is that the recirc door is not operating, so I'm going to replace it and go from there. Eliminate the variables. I'll get back on here once I've replaced the door and let everyone know how it goes. Thanks for all the ideas!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally got the upper air inlet housing in the mail! Took like a month to get here... I'm researching the removal/install now; trying to figure out if it is simple, or I would have to pull the dash as the dealer guys told me.
In the meantime of waiting for the housing to get here I took the Challenger in to get the two airbag recalls it had (S37 and R43) completed. While the car was there I let them check out the A/C system. Basically they said it blows 60 out the vents sitting in their shop, but they can't find anything wrong with it other than what we already knew that the blend/recirc door is broken. They did an evac/recharge to check the freon level, looked at high/low side pressures with it running (good), checked fan operation, checked climate control head for fault codes (none). So they said they have no idea other than trying to replace the blend/recird door.
If anyone has done this, how was the removal/install?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys, sorry for the delay in getting back on here. I got the door replaced and a/c is nice and cold! Seems for time being that everything is good to go. Thanks for everyone's input!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts