Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had bird poop on my front bumper for 3 days and it permanently stained my car....at first i thought it was a large bug since it had bug parts in it, but ive concluded it was a mixture of bugs and bird poop...it was around 1.5-2" around and orangy-red.....

i was shocked when i washed the car and it appeared to be melted into the paint...i spent 2 hours using a waxing pad with (3) different bug/tar removers...ive gotten it down to a light yellow color, but never reduced the size or blotchy melty look

I took it into my brothers shop today (he does bumper repair)...he took a sanding pad (3000 grit) and it didnt come off...he agreed it was through the paint....he said it may come off, but he risks the clearcoat to find out...i told him to stop and he buffed the area and all looks well..

it barely shows, but its there

i will now be inspecting my car for bird poop before i put the car back in the garage

·
Registered
185 Posts
Big slow clumsy ford birds do that. They have been sh#tting on my Chevy convertible seats for years. A healthy blip of the throttle usually scares them off.

·
Super Moderator
15,568 Posts
Acidic bird droppings affect all paint colors.

The longer you leave it on your paint, especially in high heat, the more damage it will cause. If you try to wipe them off, even with a wet towel, you can scratch the paint. This is because birds use gravel to digest their food, and this grit is one of the major components of what you will be wiping into your paint.

A tip is to carry a fresh bottle of no salt seltzer water in your trunk. No salt seltzer water is just water and carbon dioxide, which will not harm your paint. All you need to do is to shake it up real well to create a blast of water to wash off the acidic, paint- wrecking substance some bird left on your car.

If you didn't catch the "bird bomb" right away, any good paint polish can be used to fix the damage with a fair amount of rubbing. It's better to start with a fine polishing compound or scratch remover, followed by a good coat of wax.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
….I’m really sorry to hear this. I was following your other thread hoping you would get it sorted out.

This is the reason I keep a small bottle of QD/quick detailer (a dilution of ONR/Optimum No Rinse in my case) and several semi-plush microfiber towels in a bag in the trunk of my vehicles. Personally, I will first soak the contaminant and then one of the towels folded in 1/4. I let the towel sit on top of the residue with light pressure (checking periodically to see if it is softening up). Once the contaminant is ready to be removed, I will gently pinch and lift it into the towel, open the towel to a new side, respray the area/towel and do it again until the majority of the contaminant is removed. Using a new towel I will respray the area and gently wipe up any remaining residue.

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
Yeah, 3 days tells me you noticed it the day it happened. Bugs and bird sh!t are two things to take care of the second you notice them. Both will stain or screw with the clear coat. I had some bugs that I couldn't get off for a day or 2 pit my clear coat up on the front bumper. Just slightly lower on the finish but I can tell they're there. Someone else wouldn't notice it and it doesn't bother me all that much as it really is practically invisible but it was enough of a lesson in taking care of that stuff right away.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no i didnt notice it earlier....i store my car inside a 1" Styrofoam box...i didnt notice it until i pulled it apart the next time to drive it

·
Premium Member
17,155 Posts
is that for real? I thought I was anal about keeping my car in good condition!
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
is that for real? I thought I was anal about keeping my car in good condition!
oh yea its real...i spent 6 months thinking up that idea while i waited for my 392 i have 3 young kids....i plan on 20 years with this car...i only drive it weekends to keep the miles low.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
The way you store it like you do, & as anal as you are, you should be checking the car every time you box it up. I check my car every single time it goes back into the garage. Bird poop is one of the worst finish destroyers.
no i didnt notice it earlier....i store my car inside a 1" Styrofoam box...i didnt notice it until i pulled it apart the next time to drive it

·
Registered
187 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles, but a man with your attention to storage should have done your visual stroll around before/after putting her away. I like the idea of the seltzer water and the microfiber towels working in concert, followed up by some type of scratch detailer and then some wax.

·
Registered
170 Posts
That box is funny, I mean it's funny to go that far to keep these cars from damage. I just traded a new 11 Buick regal with 530 miles for a 11 R/T. I kept that car garaged for 6 months and on the way to trade it was hit by a rock. Traded with cracked windshield.lol
BTW thanks for the tip, I have a white car and hate bugs and bird crap.both damage paint

·
Registered
241 Posts
The box gives the term Car Corral new meaning.

That car is just giving you ulcers buddy. Trade it in and get something you're not afraid to drive. Maybe a Prius or something. :cowtounge:

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I had a "bug crap" line on my front bumper a while back. You know, the orangy ones. I cleaned it off and it left an orange stain. I cleaned and cleaned , used wax and cleaners. It stayed. But one day after sitting in the sun it was totally GONE. It is nowhere to be found. Leave it and see what happens. Can't hurt to try. If it doesn't go away get it painted.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
I can't stop laughing, but damn if that isn't a solution to a problem. Especially with small kids. They'll run their trike into just about anything. Before I complained enough to my wife, I now have 3 door dings in right side just behind the right door. Should have had the paintless guy look at those when he was doing the front fender. You have to look at them on the right angle, but they are there. I was thinking of hanging a sheet like that and lowering it via pulleys every night before the wife made the 4th ding. She is pretty good now. I was putting refrigerator magnets at the critical spots to protect against dings. It did the trick, but some days I would drive around town advertising for the company who gave me the magnets. :) And Huggy, keeping the miles low is only going to mean that paid more per mile to drive it. You won't get any more money for a low mileage car. I've tried it. But, I suppose people buy cabins up north and only use them on weekends. To each his own.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I had a "bug crap" line on my front bumper a while back. You know, the orangy ones. I cleaned it off and it left an orange stain. I cleaned and cleaned , used wax and cleaners. It stayed. But one day after sitting in the sun it was totally GONE. It is nowhere to be found. Leave it and see what happens. Can't hurt to try. If it doesn't go away get it painted.
Yeah, leave it out in the sun - that might work, sort of like when your wife hangs your skivies on the laundry line to let the sun bleach out the skidmarks. :indifferent:

Guess some would say the Styrofoam is thinking inside the box rather than thinking outside the box.

·
Super Moderator
15,568 Posts
oh yea its real...i spent 6 months thinking up that idea while i waited for my 392 i have 3 young kids....i plan on 20 years with this car...i only drive it weekends to keep the miles low.
Smart move. I once had a new car that was gouged TWICE on the rear fender by my son's bare bicycle handlebar. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.