Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to change my rear spoiler from painted to black to match the rest of the trim on the car. Rather than sanding down the spoiler and painting it I wanted to be able to reverse the change with the factory spoiler should I need to. So, off to E-bay to order a spoiler.

I found an E-bay "Power Seller" with good ratings offering a "factory certified" replacement. Here is the current ad for this vendor/product. When I got the spoiler it was packed well and everything looked good. However the install was anything but "factory".

The holes for the center alignment pins were off, when you centered the middle alignment pin the other pins were 1/8" to 1/4" off. Even taking the pins out and using only the outside threaded mounts they were 1/4" or more off from the factory holes.

When I emailed the vendor his response was, "we do not claim the bolt holes to match up, they do not match, we could have told you that if you asked". Huh? Maybe I'm just stupid but I didn't feel I need to ask if a "factory certified replacement" was going to actually bolt up to the factory holes.

Anyway, here's a more detailed post with pictures, just wanted to make other Challenger owners aware of this minor detail if they decide to order a "factory replacement" from this vendor.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
IMHO if something is "factory certified", it meets OEM specs in every way, including bolt alignment.

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
WOW...Thanks for the heads up. I was actually considering doing something just like that for my Det Yellow R/T. I hadn't gotten to the point of finding this guy on ebay,

"we do not claim the bolt holes to match up, they do not match, we could have told you that if you asked"

WTFO.. I would have NEVER thought to ask that question. Maybe I'll ask a question through EBay and see if he posts it on a current ad.

Glad to see you got it done.. looks great, but what a pain

Mike

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,795 Posts
I bought a GT500 style spoiler for my '06 GT from them and it was fine except for the double faced tape they put on wasn't centered properly so it was showing. I removed the tape and replaced it with 3M tape from a local aoutomotive store and all was fine.
When I contacted the seller to let them know they needed to address this, the seller basically gave me a standard blow off response, "I'll have to make note of that to the supplier." I doubt very much it was really addressed but I figured I'd mention it to prevent future buyers having to go out and do the same thing, not to mention improve the seller's product.
In my case, I'd reaserched the spoiler on the proper forums before purchasing and everyone recommended that seller. In your case, the holes not lining up is rediculous and, with their attitude, I don't see that store trying to improve on it either. I mean, drilling holes in the proper locations isn't rocket science. It should be an easy fix if they gave a damn. That's the trouble with powersellers.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
... It should be an easy fix if they gave a damn. That's the trouble with powersellers.
I guess I didn't realize an E-bay "Power Seller" means they can advertise falsely and get special screw the customer privileges. I've been trying to leave a "negative" feedback and says I have to wait 7 days. WTH?? Kind of disappointed in E-bay as well. I don't understand the 7 day waiting period just because this is a "power seller". No problem though, I have my response ready and once my "waiting period" is over I'll post it.

Not the end of the world, but that vendor needs to include "factory replacement" that doesn't use the factory holes Either that or ship it with a dremel tool and a small metal grinding bit :)

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it says right in the ad lifetime warranty against defects. I think that would qualify
Well actually that's a bit of a deception as well. While it says "lifetime warranty" when you go through E-bay for a resolution you are informed the seller doesn't accept returns. So a "factory replacement" that isn't; and a lifetime warranty for an item you can't return. Almost comical.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I was planning on ordering a spoiler for my Mustang from them. I just changed my mind.

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
Sent him a question asking if the bolt holes line up and if the adhesive backing (double stick tape) is on it. His response....
The bolt holes do not match up. I do believe that the adhesive backing
comes on the spoiler.
Ridiculous. He did answer the question, but who the hell would think to ask it.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
...Ridiculous. He did answer the question, but who the hell would think to ask it.
Kind of what I thought too, I mean when you say OEM replacement I guess I just thought that meant it was... well... an OEM replacement. Pretty much the whole advertisement is a lie. The Lifetime warranty is a joke... vendor doesn't accept returns.

AAR said, "thats sucks. thanks for the heads up. make sure you post negative feedback"...

So far I can't. Beings that this is an E-bay "power seller" I have to go through a waiting period I guess. I guess E-bay feels like at minimum a power seller should be able to screw people over for 7 days (waiting period).

Like I said, not that big a deal, I got it mounted, but certainly a learning lesson. Now I know the "power seller" means nothing.

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
I sent another note back saying Im glad I asked.. and I wouldn't have thought to ask that question. His only response was "sorry for the confusion. Go figure.

Here's a good one my friend told me... Next time (if there ever were to be a next time), or if someone wants to do this.. send him a note asking if he will take "cash", and that you'll send it registered. Get 200 rolls of pennies, open them up and dump 'em in a box. When he bitches, tell him "I said I'd send cash", if you would have asked me, I would have told you it was 10,000 pennies".

Sorry this happened to you, but Im glad you let us know. Will be interesting to see how the negative feedback is reflected, once you are actually able to post it.

Mike

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
...When he bitches, tell him "I said I'd send cash", if you would have asked me, I would have told you it was 10,000 pennies".
LOL I like that idea! Just for other warnings the same guy also operates a website spoilerexpress.com. The website doesn't mention the "lifetime" (non-returnable) warranty nor does it claim to be a "factory certified" OEM replacement.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I bought a GT500 style spoiler for my '06 GT from them and it was fine except for the double faced tape they put on wasn't centered properly so it was showing. I removed the tape and replaced it with 3M tape from a local aoutomotive store and all was fine.
When I contacted the seller to let them know they needed to address this, the seller basically gave me a standard blow off response, "I'll have to make note of that to the supplier." I doubt very much it was really addressed but I figured I'd mention it to prevent future buyers having to go out and do the same thing, not to mention improve the seller's product.
In my case, I'd reaserched the spoiler on the proper forums before purchasing and everyone recommended that seller. In your case, the holes not lining up is rediculous and, with their attitude, I don't see that store trying to improve on it either. I mean, drilling holes in the proper locations isn't rocket science. It should be an easy fix if they gave a damn. That's the trouble with powersellers.
I have a SE without the spoiler. Is the one you bought a peel and stick mounting? I would rather do it that way than drill a bunch of holes. Who was the vender..? There are a ton of them and was yours painted when you got it?
thanks...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts