Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out on a drive the other day, snow melted, roads clear, ran into back country road, 7 miles of light gravel from graveling road for traction from ice storm. I swear the tires picked up every piece. sounded like it was coming through the car floor boards and wheel wells, drove slow, when got home washed the car and behind both wheel wells it pepperd the paint "bad". I have mud guards on now, and undercoated, wish i would have had them before!

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
Yep. I hear ya. I got them for my car right away.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
When I was looking at Challengers to buy I saw a used, less than 2,000 miles, R/T on a lot that looked good, until I got closer. The rear fender looked like it had been hit with a small chipping hammer. I live out in the country and have 1/2 mile of dirt road to get home so I had the Mopar guards installed on mine before I ever drove it home.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Are the Mopar spash guards easy to install? I assume that you have to drill holes?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
installing mud guards

Mopar guards are easy to install, only 1 hole on the each front do you have to drill, the rest are pre drilled, they come with plastic rivets to install them, my rivet gun wasnt big enough for the plastic so i added a stainless rivet on top of there plastic bushing and all went well. I wish i would have put them on from the beginning, i too live on a country road with 1/2 mile of gravel, i always drove slow on it and had no problem, highway someething else, i pulled handfulls of little "traction" gravel out of the wheel wells and pockets when i installed the guards. I think i just need to put up the car for winter :((.

·
Banned
3,777 Posts
I actually HATE the look of flaps but HAVE to run them because of the painted lowers - you guys up North must have a HECk of a time in the winter with the gravel/salt on the roads

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Why are people still buying the Mopar ugly truck splash guards? Get the RPI Stealth Mud Flaps, I think it was like 40$ for a set of four (front and rear) and they look wayyyyyyyyy better as you hardly notice them, no drilling either very easy install.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Mopar guards are easy to install, only 1 hole on the each front do you have to drill, the rest are pre drilled, they come with plastic rivets to install them, my rivet gun wasnt big enough for the plastic so i added a stainless rivet on top of there plastic bushing and all went well. I wish i would have put them on from the beginning, i too live on a country road with 1/2 mile of gravel, i always drove slow on it and had no problem, highway someething else, i pulled handfulls of little "traction" gravel out of the wheel wells and pockets when i installed the guards. I think i just need to put up the car for winter :((.

Mopar expects us to have a rivet gun that works with plastic rivets? Pretty sure that mine won't work.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
I second the RPI stealth flaps. Much less hideous looking, yet totally functional. Do a search... use double sided tape instead of the metal clips... and trim the lower push-in plastic retainers with a utility knife or you'll never get them in.

I live 1/8 mile off the asphalt and I still drive no faster than 5mph on my gravel road. Gravel is the devil... oh, and so is salt!

·
Premium Member
7,290 Posts
Mopar expects us to have a rivet gun that works with plastic rivets? Pretty sure that mine won't work.

You can get a rivet gun complete with dozens of plastic rivets at Harbor Freight for less than $20.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I installed my Mopar splash guards soon after I bought the car. I would rather not have any, but I prefer the factory look of the Mopar option rather than the other flaps that (to me) look sort of cheap. It’s all a matter of personal preference though. ….and regardless of what you choose, it is really a necessity with this design (if you want to help prevent chips).

….btw, the rivet gun and extra plastic rivets can be purchased through Harbor Freight. That’s where I got mine.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I purchased mopar splash guards front and back shortly after I purchased my car because I couldnt stand cleaning the mud off the car all the time. You cant really see them with the black paint, and they do protect it. Im glad I got them.

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
I am sure someone has done this, but I plan on putting the 3m clear guard for about 6 to 10 inches all along the bottom of my new car when I get it. Probably more expensive, but I just can't put mudflaps on it.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
I am sure someone has done this, but I plan on putting the 3m clear guard for about 6 to 10 inches all along the bottom of my new car when I get it. Probably more expensive, but I just can't put mudflaps on it.
Yea, it WAS hard for me to put them on too. I really don't even notice them anymore. The first chip on the side of the car, I noticed that and still do...

·
Registered
630 Posts
Ordered a set of Mopar splash guards for $40.50 per set on eBay. Also ordered the rivet gun from Harbor Freight. Thanks for the tip! The local dealer wants $70 to install them. No thanks.

I did some Googling and read on another forum that some guy had scratches on his car from the Mopar spash guards. Anybody else have this issue? I figure I will put some tape where the guard might overlap the painted part of the fender.

If I hate the splash guards, I can take them off, but I saw a number of pictures of them installed and they don't look too bad. They probably won't be as noticeable on my car color.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts